PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 Tang Sight

kcsteve
07-25-2010, 03:20 PM
The rifle that I have is a 1970's model Marlin 336. The serial number is next to the tang screw . Now when I look at either Marbles or Lyman tang sight, the mounting screw hole will hit the middle of the number. I have this bad hankering for a tang sight after 40 years. Has anyone come across this problem installing a tang sight on an old Marlin? Neither Marble or Lyman have returned my email.

pietro
07-25-2010, 04:29 PM
The Lyman #2 Tang Peep Sight, designated for the Marlin, comes with three things besides the sight/base:

* An extra-long replacement tang screw

* A sub-base, which is made with a hole for the new longer tang screw to pass through, a tapped hole for the tang sight's forward base screw, and a 3rd hole for the sub-base's forward screw - whose location was engineered/designed so as to not deface the tang SN.

* The needed sub-base screw(s)

To install the Lyman, the tang is D/T'd ( one hole) for the sub-base's fwd screw, and the sub-base screwed to the tang with the rear hole inline with the tang screw hole. The sight is then attached to the sub-base/rifle via the sight's forward base screw and the longer tang screw.

AFAIK, Marbles provides no such arrangement with it's tang sight - but I may stand to be corrected. I know Marble's longer tang screws must be ordered separately, though - as they are NOT included.

kcsteve
07-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Unfortunately for me in 1970 Marlin placed the serial number next to the tang screw. There is no room for a hole. With Lyman's sight base it requires a hole where my number is located. The same goes with the Marble sight. Thanks for your info.