PDA

View Full Version : Bought Lyman T-mag II press

Canuck Bob
07-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm picking up a Lyman T-mag II used today. I've read all the pros and cons on a couple of forums but it should do all I need, lots of 32-20 plinking ammo for my lever. It comes with 3 turrets so I'm covered for my needs.

I'm looking for any tips or advice to make this press as good as it can be.

Any issues with cast bullets?

What about adjusting the turret support bolt, any tricks?

I only have single stage experience so any tips on using a turret would be appreciated.

BillP
07-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I have an old Spar T turret which I think is very similar where the turret is attached. The only thing I've noticed is less lube on the turret bearing surface makes for way smoother and easier operation...less lube also lets the turret be tight enough to take the slop out. There's a spring and ball under the turret that needs to be cleaned every few thousand rounds. Play with the turret tightness until you learn what works best...very minor tweaking makes a big difference. There are no plastic parts or magic gizmos to break so its hassle free.

The only learning curve I can speak of is make sure you don't turn the turret with the ram up. I broke two decaping pins the first couple times I used it. None since though. I prime on the press and have the Lyman powder through expander die with an RCBS Uniflow mounted on the die for charging.

John Guedry
07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I have a Lyman R-Mag (not the II) and it's pretty durable and straightfoward in operation. Take your time and get used to it and it'll outlast you.