PDA

View Full Version : Nose Lube?

mtgrs737
07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I have been painting the noses and exposed driving bands of my cast rifle boolit cartridges for as long as I have been loading them. I figure that this exposed lead will/may contact the barrel on it's ride and wanted to ensure lubrication. I use a diluted LLA applied by a small artists brush. So far I get no leading from my 30-30, 6.5x55 loads using this method. Has anyone here done this?

geargnasher
07-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Absolutely. I thought I was the only one doing that until I joined this forum! Started using LLA on bore-riding .30 calibers nearly 20 years ago for the same reason, plus I wanted to keep the noses from corroding in storage.

I thin the LLA, add some JPW, warm it up, and dip lube the exposed noses, just barely getting some on the case mouth. Clip to a wire coathanger with clothespins by the rims to drip-dry.

OR, I've found you can just tumble lube them exactly like Recluse does in his sticky and then run them through the regular lube/sizer when dry, same results but easier.

Gear

Recluse
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
OR, I've found you can just tumble lube them exactly like Recluse does in his sticky and then run them through the regular lube/sizer when dry, same results but easier.

Gear

I run them through the lubesizer first, then do a light tumble-lube on them.

For rifle boolits, the order is typically:

1. Install gas checks by running through the appropriate sized push-through sizer die.

2. Run through lubesizer for lubing the grooves only.

3. Light tumble-lube, let dry, store or load.

I typically size all of my rifle boolits using a push-through sizer die. I like the nose-first sizing and I like how well it seats the gas check. The lubesizer, for rifle boolits, is for putting lube in the grooves only.

:coffee:

buck1
07-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I lube in a lube sizer then load then dip the noses in roosetr jacket and let dry. It helps at higher pressures.

mtgrs737
07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
It's good to know that I am not just being anal on this.

Doc Highwall
07-25-2010, 02:30 PM
When I size I just wipe some of the bullet lube on the nose.

geargnasher
07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Sure you're not like me, Excessive/Obsessive/Compulsive? :kidding:

Gear

geargnasher
07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
When I size I just wipe some of the bullet lube on the nose.

Don't do that, it'll clog pores and give you nose pimples!

Gear

Edubya
07-25-2010, 05:12 PM
It's good to know that I am not just being anal on this.

Oh, but you are being anal about this. You've just found that you are not the only one.:drinks:

EW

crabo
07-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I run them through the lubesizer first, then do a light tumble-lube on them.

For rifle boolits, the order is typically:

1. Install gas checks by running through the appropriate sized push-through sizer die.

2. Run through lubesizer for lubing the grooves only.

3. Light tumble-lube, let dry, store or load.

I typically size all of my rifle boolits using a push-through sizer die. I like the nose-first sizing and I like how well it seats the gas check. The lubesizer, for rifle boolits, is for putting lube in the grooves only.

:coffee:

I do this with a new to cast gun.

runfiverun
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
i will occasionally dip a b-wax jpw mix on the nose of a slightly undersized one.
and i have increased/decreased accuracy with a smear of straight jpw or lanolin/castor oil mix on the nose of a bore rider.

mtgrs737
07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys, It is good to know I am not the only one who goes the extra mile.