PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895 45-70 Loads With 330 GR Gould

Yaak
07-25-2010, 02:32 AM
I've decided to hunt with my 45-70 this season and I need some loads for the 330 grain Gould HP. This should be a good deer bullet as long as I don't push it too fast. Suggestions?

I forgot to add that I have two deer tags and two elk tags to fill, it's going to be a busy season this year. I may build a 300 grain load as a second option also.

Yaak

StrawHat
07-25-2010, 06:21 AM
I like the Gould bollit loaded over a full case of black powder. The velocity is right for my alloy (30/1) and it hits just fine. If you can, look up the recipes published by Paul Matthews (40 Years with the 45-70) and Ken Waters (45-70 Pet Loads) as they both like the Gould boolit also.

missionary5155
07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Good morning
I would just go with that 330 and figure using the same combo for all the hunting.
What max range are you looking at ?
Under 100 yards that boolit at 1400 - 1550 fps will do all the damage you will be needing. For white tail I would go with a soft mix and for the elk go with WW. Punch them both through the ribs but stay off the elk shoulders.
2400 from 24 grains up to 28 grains will get you into those velocities and one of those powder loads should get you rifle / boolt combo shooting nicely.
If you want faster switch to 3031 and that little slug will zip right along. But there just is no need. The 2F black powder load will hunt any critter on our side of the world if we just put that slug where it is needed.
I hunt with a 1876 45-60 off and on and that little cartrige with a 270 grainer & 55 grains of 2F will go clean through 250 pound whitetails from most any angle.

Yaak
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the great information! That's just exactly what I was looking for, I'll stir up a batch of test loads tomorrow and head for the range. Results to follow, and again thank you very much.

Missionary I agree with you on the velocity, you're right on the money with everything I've read so far. God bless you brother, take care down there.

Yaak

Yaak
07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Missionary sorry I didn't answer your question about probable ranges brother. I expect about 150 yards max on deer, with the elk where I hunt you just never know. Last year I had one chance only on a cow and that was 325 yards. I was using my 30-06 so she was meat in the pot, I'd need to practice a lot to do that with my 45-70 but I know she'll do it if I do my part. I've killed elk in this area anywhere from about 30 yards to well beyond 300 yards so it's kind of a mixed bag in that regard. Whitetail are all the I shoot anymore, I always pass on the mulies, don't care for the taste. If I wanted to shoot mule deer in this area I could use just about anything, they are thick to say the least. I seldom see less that 50 in a day up there and during the rut many more than that.

Yaak

MtGun44
07-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Dang, I need to find out where Yaak hunts and see if I can get a Montana license next
year! I'd love to find a nice mulie to put on the wall and see how they taste.

I have a friend in Roberts that has invited me to hunt whitetails, but I haven't had the
chance yet.

Bill

Yaak
07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
MtGun44 here you go, a link to Montana FWP and all the non res hunting info you'll need. You will probably want a guide if you decide to take the plunge.

http://fwp.mt.gov/

Best of luck,

Yaak