I have been using the 44 mag as cast
Love your stuff Sam

Muddy Creek Sam
07-25-2010, 12:32 AM
We aims to please. :bigsmyl2:

Sam :D

geargnasher
07-25-2010, 02:15 AM
What are you using to measure your bore slugs?

Gear

Buckshot
07-25-2010, 02:22 AM
I have a Ruger blackhawk in 45 colt
a new mold supposedly drops a .452 boolit ...it drops a .456-.457 boolit
the bore slugged at .452 the cylinder chambers are .4525
would you try the boolits as cast thru this piece?????:groner:

...........I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the chamber might not accept a round loaded with a .456/.457" slug. You can sure try. Most die sets assume you're going to be shooting jacketed (cast boolits are invisible to die makers) at the 'conventional' size of .452". You're going to have to put a heckuva flare on the casemouth and with standard size dies and what they'll size the brass to, unless your alloy is really hard, the slugs will possibly lose a thousandth or two when they're seated.

I'd size'em to .453" if they don't fit. Going from the as cast diameter to .453" is a bit more then normally desireable in a base first type lube-size die so I'd Tumble Lube them and then send them up through a Lee type push through die. It'd cause the least amount of possible damage to the boolit and require much less effort.

.............Buckshot

white eagle
07-25-2010, 08:54 AM
What are you using to measure your bore slugs?

Gear
I am using a 0-1"Mitotoyu micrometer and a starret dial caliper

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 03:00 PM
HI,
That might be a bit much. But who knows , IF THEY WILL CHAMBER ,it would not hurt to try them w/ light loads 1st.
Also cast soft boolits & size/lube v. soon after casting would make the process easier.:Fire::Fire:

leftiye
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't shoot them unsized. The reason being that they're going to size down to .4525" in the chamber mouths. This will raise pressures, and deform your boolits (as in maybe not straight, and as in not uniformly). If they'll seat out into the chamber throats, then size them to chamber mouth size and seat them into the throats to help center them. Maybe neck size only your brass to help with co-axiality.

cajun shooter
07-29-2010, 10:34 AM
What alloy are you using? If you go with a softer bullet it will not be as big after it cures. Look at the charts by Glen Fryxell and you will see that softer lead will shrink more. If you are loading for SASS matches then a BHN of 10 is all that is needed. You can also load in a four stage process with the seating and crimpimg being seperate stages. Use the Lee FCD for your final crimp die. I have had good results with this process as the Lee FCD has a thin carbide ring that sizes the bullet down after it is in the case. For the distance that is used in SASS it does not do any harm to the ammo.