PDA

View Full Version : varying diameter in Boolits

Charlie Two Tracks
07-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I cast about 30# of isotope lead from Muddy Creek Sam today. (very clean). The mold I was using was a .359 HP. The boolits vary from .358 to .360. Why is there a difference in the diameter. I cast all 30# at the same time and tried to keep a temp. of 700 deg. For awhile it climbed up to near 800. I had to stop and restart twice.

mooman76
07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Multipule things. You said youself your lead rose to 800. That's one thing. A hotter setup such as the lead getting hotter and moreso the mould temp. A hotter mould will produce larget bullets. A few other things, you didn't mention the mould you used but sometimes they get a spec of lead in between something keeping the mould from closing by a hair or maybe you changed up something durring casting like not using the smae pressure to keep the mould closed and it was open a hair also. As you get more practice you get more consistant.

crabo
07-25-2010, 12:39 AM
It's the inconsistent tempature thing. Try keeping your boolits in a couple of different piles with the coolest on one side and the hottest on the other and the hottest should be the largest and probably out of round. The cooler will be smaller and more round.

I wish I could say I learned this on my own, but I got it from BABore.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys. I thought it might be the temperature but I wasn't sure. I'll try some more today and try to keep the temperature even in the pot and mould. The mould was a Mihec mould. That is one fine looking piece of equipment. The lead was clean so I knew it was something I was doing.

mooman76
07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
One of the best ways to keep your temp even is to preheat your mould good. That way you have less of a temp curve while waiting for the mould to heat up.

MtGun44
07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Also you may not be consistently closing the mold. A touch of Bullplate lube on the
alignment features can make this work a lot better. I have had this cause me some
trouble in the past when I failed to lube the mold and ensure full closure.

Bill