PDA

View Full Version : Case cleaner.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I need to get a case tumbler but I don't know beans about them. I'd like one with a lid to keep dust at bay. Any ideas or preferences? I'm just wiping down the brass right now and it is looking pretty shabby.

07-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Charlie,
I've used a Midway from the very beginning. I changed out the original blue lid for one that's clear. Fill it with corn cob media, pour in some Nu-Finish car polish, add a used dryer sheet, or two, torn in half, and let it run for a couple hours. I think they all have lids.

DLCTEX
07-25-2010, 10:38 AM
I have used one of Midway's tumblers for more than 15 years and it has done a ton of brass without a hitch. I got the kit with the media sifter, well worth the money.

mike in co
07-25-2010, 12:06 PM
do a search...we have beat this horse to death multiple times

pmeisel
07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I've had a Lyman 1200 for 20 years or more. Does a good job.

TNsailorman
07-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I had 2 Midway tumblers until 1 burned up the motor. Midway does not make that tumbler anymore, so they gave me the the purchase price of a new equivalent one on a new Lyman, which I love. I used to clean my cases with ISSO cleaner, then dry them, and then polish them with case polish. I recently switched my methods, thanks to a fellow reloading nut. I now mix a 16 oz. can of NU FINISH car polish, and 30 oz. of Ordorless Mineral Spirits in a 1 gallon jug. Make sure to hold back about half of the mineral spirits to rinse out the car polish can as it will have quite a bit of the car polish hanging onto the inside of the can. Shake this well to completely mix it good. I bought a cheap .97 cent mustard squeeze bottle at Wally World and I pour what I need for a time in that to make adding to the tumbler easier. You will need to shake this mixture up before using it as it tends to separate out sitting around. A little of this goes a long way. It is also quite a bit cheaper than the commercial polish that you buy and works better too. It will keep the inside of your tumbler clean and shiney also. My tumbler was black on the inside from the build up of burned carbon from the brass cases but one tumbler using the new cleaner turned it clean as a new one that had never been used. Works for me, James

randyrat
07-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Wash your brass in vinegar and a touch of dish soap in hot water. Stir and let sit stir again. then rinse and let dry real good. 1- 2 cups of vinegar to a gallon of water along with a teaspoon of dish soap.
Your brass will come out clean enough to shoot and your hands will stay clean.
No lead dust from primers to deal with.

I use a tumbler after my brass has been washed, if i feel the need to have shinny brass. If you use a tumbler wash your hands after sifting brass out of your media.

ilcop22
07-25-2010, 11:33 PM
If you have a washing machine, try the method I use:

Toss your brass in a pillow case. Tie a knot in said pillow case. Throw it in the washing machine with some soap, run it, and presto! Clean brass.

Cheap and effective. If you wanna save on your water bill, throw the pillow case full of brass in with your "around the house" clothes. ;)

nes4ever69
07-26-2010, 12:04 AM
i bought a berrys tumbler a couple of years ago. think i paid $30 and it works great. ive done up to 300 9mm in one setting.

buck1
07-26-2010, 12:45 AM
I too have had good luck with the cheep midway.

Philngruvy
07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
do a search...we have beat this horse to death multiple times

My parents taught me that if you don't have something good to say, it is probably better to not say anything.
That said, I use the Harbor Freight vibrator with walnut shell and Nutone car polish. I know, corn cob is better, but I have walnut shell so that is what I use and it works great.

BillP
07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I use a rotary drum tumbler bought at the church thrift shop for almost nothing...that was about 20 yrs ago and it still works like when new. I like drums because they are quiet and can be sealed tight if you want to do liquids...I tumble stones too. If and when this one ever quits I will buy a Harbor Freight dual drum for about $50 or so.

okksu
07-26-2010, 07:43 PM
"Harbor Freight dual drum for about $50 or so"

That's what I use. Purrs right along and has for about 5 years.

scb
07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I bought a Thumler's Tumblers Model B after 20+ years of using Lyman's vibrators. I still have and will probably use the Lyman but this Thumler's is IMHO a much better solution. You can use it dry or wet, which is why I got it so I could use ceramic media. 30 min. with the ceramic stuff and case look like new inside and out. After they dry I usually run the cases in the Lyman for 30 min. with ground walnut hulls and they really shine.

jeff423
07-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Buy cheap - get cheap. Get a Dillon or Lyman vibratory tumbler and use treated cob media for 1-2 hrs.

Jeff

paul edward
08-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Charlie:

Until I got a tumbler, my solution was to clean cases in a mixture of Tri Soduim Phosphate (TSP) one teaspoon in a quart of water. Soak for a few minutes or overnight if really dirty. This will dissolve all of the oil and grease and leave the case receptive to step two.

Step two is to soak the clean cases in a mixture of a teaspoon of citric acid to one quart of warm water. This will dissolve the oxides. Five to 10 minutes is usually enough. Watch for a change of color of the brass. If it starts looking more like copper, then it is time to pour it off and wash the cases in hot water several times. If you can't find citric acid use vinegar.

Make sure the cases are thoroughly dry inside before loading.

Paul
Phu Lam 1971