PDA

View Full Version : new problems with the nef buffalo classic

craveman85
07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
i bought a box of leverevolution cartridges last night and fired off a few shots to find that my sights wont adjust enough to get the bullet sighted in (8 inches low at 50 yards). i was examining my casings from the gun. about 1/8th inch up on one side of the case there is a slight bulge in the brass. between 8 and 10 thousandths of an inch. is this a problem? or will i be ok with it?. i also noticed that all the brass is 2.030 inches long not 2.105 inches like it should be. need help. ive had this gun a few days and im already going crazy.

leadman
07-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Do you have pictures?

stephenj
07-24-2010, 04:07 PM
im not going to be any help on the bulge but hornaday lever brass is made shorter than normal 45-70 brass to match the crimping groove on the bullet

craveman85
07-24-2010, 04:08 PM
my phone wont take pictures good enough but its about 2/3 of the case bulges about .01 max.

kennisondan
07-24-2010, 04:29 PM
hi : you will work this out... take a light and try to see if you note anything at the point of the bulge where it is formed in the barrel.. if you cannot identify it shoot one and mark the orientation of the case in the gun to tell you where to look. clean it and shine it and look with the light. That is where I would start without more ... soundslike it may be close enough for you to feel it with a finger too..try that..
call NEF about it if you do not get much satisfaction speedily enough. It seems it could fatigue your cases some more than necessary if there is some defect right there.
not much help but it is a place to seek more info to share.
dk

dangerranger
07-25-2010, 01:47 AM
a few years ago H&R shipped a few rifles out with the wrong front sight.[too high] all those that called H&R got a new front sight sent out to them.[yea H&R] but some of those who got new sights soon found that the new ones were wrong also. [Boo] so call H&R, and know what sight you need. or what sight you have, and be ready to send it back again if it doesnt corect the problem. if you look on H&Rs site they have owners manuels with a parts list, and part#s [ way at the bottom.] seems to me the incorect sights were from the 38 55s and the part #s are on the bottom of the dove tail.

I also got a BC in 45 70, and shot it for the first time today. with the Hornaday ammo it shot point of aim at 50yds with the rear sight all the way down. I did have to drift the front sight 3/16 left to center the windage. remington 405gr ammo shot 3"groups, but the hornaday ammo would put 3 touching. now if I can do that with a lead load. DR

craveman85
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
ok i called nef. i found that the gun is actually manufactured in ilion ny at the remington place or thats where their service shop is. they were going to send me a ups label to ship the gun to them to check the chamber out because they said it didnt sound right. he didnt tell me it was remington right away though so i thought it was going to take forever but remington is less than 20 mins from my house. so i can save about 4 days of ups delivery! so going to run it down there in a little bit to get her all checked out and hopefully will be shooting it again soon.

RMulhern
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
:violin::violin:So much for NEF 'guns'!!

NickSS
07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
It sounds like your chamber is a little on the large size they should fix that or you should only neck size the cases. The sights that come with the BC are basically useless. I took them off and through them away and installed a Williams FP rear sight and a lower Lyman 17 front sight. Now my rifle has no trouble getting BP loads the hit out to 300 yards or so.

870TC
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
All Leverevolution brass that I have seen is shorter than normal. Not sure why, something to do with feeding pointy bullets perhaps. Just keep that brass separate, if you intend to reload.