PDA

View Full Version : convert flint pistol to percussion. Any ideas on whats the best route.

mikenbarb
07-24-2010, 07:28 AM
I have an older repro Tower pistol in flintlock. Im wondering if anyone has converted one to a percussion because im getting real tired of this flintlock stuff. The spring and frizzen are a weaker design and it dont always go boom when you pull the trigger. Im just using it for blasting away at things with large shot and it would be great to know it will go off every time I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance, Mike

missionary5155
07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Good morning
Have you considered re hardening the springs ?
That would be a simpler solution.
I would just buy a cheap percussian smoothbore or trade your flinter for one.
But to change one over .. I would look at Gunbroker in the Antigue section Blackpowder and see how the conversions were done to get the idea. You can buy a used percussion lock reasonable and the side mounted barrel nipple adapter also.
You will want to try to use the origonal vent hole for the new nipple adaptor so placing the percussion lockplate takes some alignment.
Then it is just a drill, tap & screw in the barrel /cap unit.

Maven
07-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Mike B., Send a PM to Waksupi asking whether he can reharden the springs & frizzen. If so, send him the lock: You won't be disappointed with the results!

Dean D.
07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I second Maven's idea. Ric can either fix you up or give you the best advice.

Converting the pistol to percussion would involve installing a "drum" which is a cylindrical affair that screws into the barrel at the existing flash hole. The nipple is drilled and tapped 90° into the drum and indexed to align with the proper angle to the hammer. The biggest problem might be fitting your existing lock with a percussion hammer to replace the flint cock if that is even possible. I doubt if there are any "drop-in" replacement locks that would fit without a lot of adjusting/inletting.

Reworking the flintlock to work properly might be the cheapest and easiest route.

Mk42gunner
07-26-2010, 06:35 PM
One other thing, if you convert to percussion. From what I have read, you need to support the drum with the lockplate.

Robert

mikenbarb
07-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, Im just gonna hang it on a wall for now. Its a cool old smoothbore but not sure if its worth the aggravation or expense.
Its like having a 16 gauge smoothbore pistol and theres not much made now like it. I think they were a cheap knockoff of the originals and everything on them is softer steel. But it does pack a big ol' whallop when she fires.:p

missionary5155
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Hello again
When ever I latch on to a different flinter the first thing I do is to Casenite the frizzen unless it sparks a shower first try. Then I would consider the springs unless the hammer spring actually feels like mush.