PDA

View Full Version : My Zoli Zouave ..............

Buckshot
07-24-2010, 04:04 AM
................I didn't even think about taking photos, but oh well. I think EVERYONE owns a Zouave made by Antonio Zoli don't they?[smilie=s: This one I bought from one of my old Tuesday shooting buddies for $125. I have another (This one below) that I'd bought back in the early '70's.

http://www.fototime.com/3989E3011A110BF/standard.jpg

But I'd modified it into a carbine type deal. This photo was taken before I'd gotten the nose cap installed. It's not a Zoli, and while I don't recall what I paid for it way back then it was a cheapie. However it's lock is MUCH nicer then the Zoli and it's accuracy isn't too bad either. The difference in recoil now that it's a carbine is noticable.

The Zoli I'd bought from my buddy had come to him from someone else and I don't know what he used it for but it's wearing a 310 Martini Cadet rear sight and a beaded blade front sight on a ramp. Similar to a M700 Remington's except I'm sure it's much older, fully machined and not cast. But being on a repro BP rifle it's no big deal.

So a couple weeks ago Gopher Slayer and I repaired to the range as I HAD to have a BP muzzle loading fix. I took the Zouave and 4 different types of 58 caliber slugs to mess with. I also took the P58 Enfield 2 band and it's a good thing as the Zouave pretty much quit shooting after some 12-15 rounds, and so comes the story. After a war getting the cone out (the fence around it and my wrench had 'issues') I applied the pick and it didn't seem like it was making it into the bore and I was poking HARD in the flash passage. If it was BP fouling I'd never experienced anything like this. I said "Screw this" and shot the Enfield.

At home when I was cleaning it I put the breechface scraper on the rod and it didn't act normal. It was like it was almost stuck in or against something down there. With a bright LED flex light the breechface looked shiney and I couldn't see anything to cause the problem. I decided it was time to pull the breechplug. I took a 4' long piece of 1/4 x 1-1/4" HRS, laid out the area to be milled out for a wrench to fit over the tang and breechplug and removed it.

Inside, ahead of where the face of the breechplug would be was a ring of lead! It was thick enough to stand above the lands and grooves, so to get it out I used the cleaning rod from the muzzle. This lead had been building up in the (come to find out) .300" wide area from the shoulder where the rifling ends to the face of the breechplug. It'd stopped firing as lead had finally built up enough to cover the flash passage. From the end of the barrel forward to the shoulder in the barrel it's .933" long. The length of the breechplug from the abutting face of the tang to the face was only .625" long.

In addition the breechplug was pretty loose in the barrel threads until the tang came up against the rear of the barrel. Worst of all I KNEW they were those communistic heathen metric things, and I don't have a transposing gear setup for my lathe to cut them. I thought about trying to buy a metric bolt to fit, but it also seemed as if they had a slight taper to them like a pipe taper, only not as steep as that. They ran .647" at the nose and .660" by the tang. Checking with the thread gage both 16 and 18 tpi was close, but off enough to not be useable over the length they'd have to thread in.

I had a loose 32 tooth gear and replacing the 48 tooth stud gear it would change the 23 tpi position in the QC box to 17-1/4 tpi. It might just work. It also meant I would have to leave the half nuts ALWAYS engaged with the leadscrew while cutting that wierdo thread. I was not wanting to machine a whole new breechplug and tang. I figured I could make a new breechplug sans tang, and then cut off all but 3 threads of the issue one to use to basically secure the butt end of the barrel. As it was, the new one I'd made would be almost as long as the threaded portion of the old one, so the strength should be about the same. Maybe even more as if that odd 17-1/4 tpi would work, I'd see about tightening up the thread fit too.

I turned a piece of 3/4" W-1 to .660" and then set the lathe up for thread cutting with that 32 tooth gear. With a thread mic I checked and wrote down each thread OD of the original breechplug. Things were going swimmingly until the 4th pass when I let my mind drift. When the tool ran off the end of the stock my hand automatically reached up and flipped the half nut lever. Bummer! Since I thread from the backside with the spindle in reverse it's no big deal, but I wonder how you're supposed to thread up to some feature like a shoulder without dis-engaging the half nuts?

So anyway I did another one and yes I did catch myself almost throwing out the half nuts again! I don't suppose it's a really bad habit however[smilie=w: The crests were all too tall (except for the rearmost) and when I tried the barrel on them (while still in the lathe naturally) they'd start about 1 turn. I had really cleaned the barrel threads well and tried a bit of muscle and got only about a half more turn. I was afraid to try more as the stock might turn in the collet and then I'd have to start all over again. So okay maybe the threads DID need a bit of taper.

BTW, the threads in the barrel had what seemed to me to be excessively flat crests. Another reason I wanted mine to be as tall as possible. I used the lathe file to 'just' knock the crests off the first 3 threads in a bit of taper. Re-trying the barrel it went almost 4 turns. Removing the barrel and looking closely I could see just a bit of burnishing on the front flank of the thread up toward the crest. The threads had been fully cut so I decided (since I was experimenting anyway) to loosen the tool and move it .002" to the left (my left) in it's holder and then make a light cut via dialing in the cross slide instead of the compound (compound was at 29.5º) . I figured that way I could catch the front flank of the thread a tad.

I started the lathe and let the carriage move into the threads (this not using the half nut lever is REALLY crazy stuff!) then dialed in the cross slide till I saw some dust forming on the face of the tool, about .002" according to the dial but I suspect less then that. Trying the barrel this time it turned on almost 9 threads which was just shy of 1/2". This time too I could see that almost all the thread crests had been bottoming, and the barrel was very snug. I wanted my new plug to be .633" long because that length would leave 3 threads on the original breech plug after I'd cut the balance off. I started the lathe and pretty much just let the lathe file ride the tops of the crests with the lightest pressure from me, biased toward the nose for several revolutions.

This time the barrel went on a bit past 11 turns which was almost .650" deep. I thought this might be it, so I parted it off at .633" long. All the threads ran about .007" taller (with the thread mic) then those on the original breech plug. I then put it in the mill base up, and with a 1/8" endmill cut a slot .100" deep across it. I then took a piece of 5/8" CR, put it in a square collet block in the mill vice and milled half, flipped it over and hit it again to leave a 1/8" wide key sticking out. This was to be used as a driver to screw in the new breech plug. Swapping it end for end I milled 2 opposing flats I could use a Cresent wrench on.

Clamping the barrel in the vice I smeared in some copper gasket sealer/lube and started the new breechplug in. It started smooth with only the faintest wobble but soon snugged up with it's base about even with the end of the barrel so I had about .300" (about 5 turns) left to go. With a 10" Cresent wrench on it it smoothly and pretty snuggly continued in, and it then became noticely harder. I checked and the base was almost exactly .300" below the end of the barrel. I managed close to another half turn, but that was it. I hack sawed about half the threaded portion off the old breechplug, then via "file a bit and try", got it to snug up against the new plug about 3/8" off perfection. I then used the newly made breechplug wrench to snug it down.

I'm pretty satisfied that the new breechplug is much more strongly (it's as long) threaded into the barrel then the old one and it's tight up against the shoulder where the rifling begins. And yes, I did have to drill the flash hole through the new breechplug into the bore, once it was installed. Before it simply came through the barrel wall AHEAD of the face of the old plug. Now, while it's not exactly at bore centerline it's at least going to be more toward the middle of the charge and there'll not be a big open area between the rifling and the face of the breechplug.

...............Buckshot

rhbrink
07-24-2010, 07:25 AM
WOW! So, after all that how does it shoot?

missionary5155
07-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Good morning
Now that makes me wonder something... Were the hollow base slugs the regular diet you used in your Zouave ? Mine is one of the old Navy Arms. It shot all hollow base terrible so I switched to .57 RB with 85 grains 2F and have never had any trouble.
But that makes me think I should check my breach plug next time before shooting it.
Good write up and explanation.

Tom-ADC
07-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Bought my Zoli at a Sears parking lot sale as a kit, shoot a 505 gr mini ball with 60 gr of FFg fun old rifle to shoot. It even says Sears on the trigger guard.
Don't have the tools or skills to do what you did, hats off!!
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/1908390/378903457.jpg

9.3X62AL
07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Another Zouave owner here. No such difficulties with my Zoli (yet). It runs the old-school Minies about like my smoothbore 870 runs rifled slugs--3" at 50 yards/5 shots. It runs RBs a LOT better, though--holes touching at 50 yards pretty reliably with 70 grains of 2F, .570 RB and .015 patches. HECK YEAH, I'd deer-hunt with it!

07-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Whew what a pain in the derier! Reminds me of MLs in general when I discovered that YES bare slugs can lead up bores. I discovered it back in the early 70s after shooting a TC Hawken a lot with Maxis. I noticed then that the accuracy had been falling off for about a year before the culprit was revealed. Conicals in MLs can lead bores and, at times, severely. Also taught me that staying ahead of it is far superior to letting it build up. Funny, I'd never read anywhere back then and even now about this conical leading issue in MLs. I've brought it up before here and other places and either get the ole blank stare or silent denial. Hah! Proof positive in the Zouave. :)

Dutchman
07-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Why yes, everybody does seem to own a Zoli Zouave.

Mine is an early one that was used in Pennsylvania as a deer getter. The front sight blade was made higher and a hole was put through one of the rear leafs to it hits dead on at 100 yds. Though I have all the fixin's to shoot it I've never shot it. Owned it only about 4 years now. I think it's an amazingly well made rifle, very beefy overall.

Do they shoot better/worse with the Lee modern Minie'?

Dutchman

Argus
07-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I have nine Zouaves, four Zoli rifles and a Zoli Carbine, plus four Armi Jager.

The carbine has seen little use since I acquired it. It spent its life as a wall hanger until the changed gun laws here required it to be locked away.

The two bottom Armi Jager in the picture were my first muzzleloaders, bought over 30 years ago. Both have tang sights, and both shoot extremely well and get frequent use.

The other Zouaves have been acquired second hand over the years and get somewhat frequent use by friends at the range.

I shoot a 600gn minnie out of a mould bought from Geen River Rifle Works in South Australia. The long boolit shoots better that the three groove Lee or Lyman types. I push it out with 60gn of Wano FFg and can get 3" groups or better at 100Y. Lube is home made.

These have been the most reliable of any of the muzzleloaders I own and I have never had ignition or leading problems.

C:/pictures/guns/zouaves.jpgc:/pictures/guns/600gn minnie.jpg

Buckshot
07-25-2010, 03:31 AM
............rhbrink WOW! So, after all that how does it shoot?

I dunno :-) Our old range is still closed and the one I use now is 80 miles round trip.

...........missionary5155 Now that makes me wonder something... Were the hollow base slugs the regular diet you used in your Zouave ?

Yup. I've never fired a patched RB in my life (if I had I don't recall it). I HAVE shot .600" RBs from my 577 Snider carbine, but they weren't patched.

............405 Whew what a pain in the derier! Reminds me of MLs in general when I discovered that YES bare slugs can lead up bores.

I don't ever recall having any leading with Minie' bullets except in a 3 Band Snider and it wasn't much effort to remove. With this Zouave the breechplug face was almost .300" short of the rifling in the breech, and where the rifling ended there was a shoulder which stepped down .025". Don't know if the breechplug was wrong or they got a bit carried away in boring and then threading the rear of the barrel. Regardless it was PACKED with lead!

Dutchman Why yes, everybody does seem to own a Zoli Zouave. I think it's an amazingly well made rifle, very beefy overall. Do they shoot better/worse with the Lee modern Minie'?

Externally mine is well finished. The first disappointment was when I removed the lock. The second was this breechplug issue. Overall the internals were very crudely finished. The mainspring looked like it'd come unmodified out of the rear axle leaf stack of a '42 Dodge weapons carrier. The hole in the bridle for the tumbler is several thousands oversize all the way around. If you tighten up the bridle's bottom screw (that the sear pivits on) the sear seizes up. Yes it works, but DANG!

...............Buckshot

Southern Son
07-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Argus,
I had one of those Armi Jager Zouaves. It was my first ML and the reason I started casting (it came with a Lyman Hollow Base Minnie). 90grains of FFg really got noticed on the firing line, especially when you set some dry salt bush on fire and they have to close the range.

I would hate to think of the recoil of one of those carbines!

07-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Buckshot,

Ya, hard to guess about the original cause in the Zouave. Or if it was just an accumulation over a long period of time. To pack that much up around the breech end seems like the origin would be likely near the breech. Then maybe with each loading, or tight patch run down to the breech it kept getting packed into the rear part of the chamber. (for lack of a better way to describe it).

When I first started noticing leading in my ML's (1:48" TC Hawken & Renegade) shooting conicals the accumulation was more toward the breech- with the maximum amount maybe 5-10" in front of the breech. Some MLs and with some types of conicals it seemed worse than with other combinations. Also, some never showed any leading??? Since I started really staying ahead of any build up, I've avoided the problem. I noticed the worst bullet culprit was the Hornady Great Plains. The classic Maxi and the hollow base minie (thick skirt style) seemed similar and both leaded less than the GP.

Not comparable to the Zoli.... but I shoot an original Rem Zouave with the 7-groove, 1:70sumthin twist bore. I cast either near pure lead or at most about a 40:1 alloy. I keep my max load at about 48 gr of FFFg under either a .578 Lee Imp Minie or the RCBS .580 N-S Minie. Neither load leads as far as I can tell.

The most accurate I've found in the Zouave is 48gr. FFFg with about 2.5cc of shotshell buffer on top of the powder..... under a .580 RCBS N-S Minie lubed with a Crisco/Felix mix (none in the base). I use a #11 nipple/cap just to keep the flash and shrapnel to a minimum. :)

gifford
07-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Yep, there are a lot of Zouaves out there. Several others shot theirs at our last club shoot. The military category had four Zouaves and one Enfield carbine/musketoon. All used patched round balls, charges ranged from 60-85 grains. Good shooting old repros.

DIRT Farmer
07-25-2010, 11:18 PM
As a side point, barrel leading, I shoot mostly shot in my 28 ga (54 cal) Trade Gun and have a problem with a lead ring. I forms where the shot sits on the wads up about 2 to 3 inches. After each shoot I would attack it with a Scotch Brite pad and clean it out. I decided to shoot some patched round balls after shot one day and after a few rounds it was gone. Being the astute learner I am now I just have a session of target pratice after shooting shot.

northmn
07-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Try using paper sleeves with the shot loads. There ahs been some success with that even in smoothbores. Cut strips that fit around the bore and the length of the load. When I load a setup like that I short start the overposder wads insert the sleeves and fill with shot, thenan over shot wad and seat the whole thing. May eliminate the leading.

Northmn

Argus
07-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Further to my earlier post, I think I have overcome inexperience on this site and got the pictures sorted out.

My collection of Zouaves. The carbine and the top four are Zoli, the bottom four are Armi Jager. All shoot much the same and I cannot pick the difference between groups with a Zoli or an Armi Jager. My failing eyesight lends itself more to the bottom rifle with the tang sight.

The boolit picture is a 600gn four groove mini, cast in pure lead, from a locally (South Australian) produced mould. Ignore the surface defects, the pictured boolits are rejects as these were the only ones I had to photograph! I push them out with 60gn of Wano FFg for quite acceptable results out to 300M

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=2507 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=2506

Buckshot
07-27-2010, 01:04 AM
..............Dang! Appears you have the Zouave market pretty well cornered there Argus.

..............Buckshot

missionary5155
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Howdy Buckshot
That Green Banner looks good over your all purpose people hauler.
I tried all the different minis I could lay my fingers on for my Zuoave. Thck & thin skirts, sized unsized... Nothing could come close to the simple RB and patch with 85 grains 2F. 75 grains shoots well and is what I use to just practice but that 85 grain load never has any ball outside a basic clover leaf. My barrel had some pitting when I bought it and pòssibly that was the issue. Once I found it would shoot the RB so nicely I have never rewarmed the mini molds.

Buckshot
07-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Howdy Buckshot
That Green Banner looks good over your all purpose people hauler.
I tried all the different minis I could lay my fingers on for my Zuoave. Thck & thin skirts, sized unsized... Nothing could come close to the simple RB and patch with 85 grains 2F. 75 grains shoots well and is what I use to just practice but that 85 grain load never has any ball outside a basic clover leaf. My barrel had some pitting when I bought it and pòssibly that was the issue. Once I found it would shoot the RB so nicely I have never rewarmed the mini molds.

...............Yeah the green capsule is new. Supposed to be easier for someone needing a moderator to ID us (and I was doing so well hiding :-)). RE: RB, nothing wrong with a 385gr RB at 1600 fps! It'd make a mess of most anything out to a 100 yards. That 66" twist is more toward the RB end of things but the Brits shot their P53 Enfields (72" twist) with Minie' bullets out to 600 yards in competition. Howsomever I do believe the bullseye was like 4', but still!

.............Buckshot

DIRT Farmer
07-31-2010, 10:05 PM
northmn I had forgotton about paper shot cups I had played with them in a Brown Bess in an attempt to increase patterns. I will give them another try. If you cut the paper right it fits over the ram rod and forms like the old plastic shot liner they used to put in the discount WW shot shells.

SamTexas49
08-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Howdy ! caught up on this post on Zouaves and thought Id add to it. Bought my only "Z" way back in 1970 mail order for $85. Same Italian maker I beleive. Had rea lfun shooting it on on my Dad N Law farm in SE Colorado over the Section, when all plowed you could shoot out and see where that bullet drooped way off!
later I discovered Dixe Gun works had a replacement barrel for them but it had "7" Lands/grooves! Cane with front sight but no rear. Driopped right into Stock. Added a Williams simple rear sight, attached that hooded "sniper" front sight and shot the 350 gr wadcut Minnies!!

Dang it shot great !! Course cant find that barrel anymore , plus I sold it off way back.

EdZ KG6UTS
08-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I bought mine at Frontier Gunshop in San Diego back in 1966 for $79 and still have it. Its a Zoli 'Navy Arms, Zouave. Minie balls, patched round balls, and maxis have all run through it over Dupont or whatever powder was on sale. I did add one of the 'crosshair' clamp on front sights from Dixie Arms.

EdZ KG6UTS

Abert Rim
08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey there Buckshot, glad to see you are still ornery enough to fire up the lathe and machine proper parts for your Eye-Talian shooter.
I have had a couple of these over the years, but am currently out. I did run across a Hy-Hunter at a pawn shop recently and was sorely tempted ... moreso after reading this thread!
You still shooting your Pecatonica Rigby? Do you guys still do the Burrito shoot?

oldvet
12-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Realize this is an OLD thread. But your modification is basically what I bought as the Navy Arms "Buffalo Hunter" back in 1970 in Alaska. It's a hoot to shoot! The wife even liked it. Haven't had it out of mothballs in awhile, but seeing this thread sorta gets my blood up to do some smoke polin'!

fouronesix
12-11-2013, 12:25 PM
I have two non-original muskets- a Zoli Zouave and a PH P53 Enfield. While I prefer shooting the originals, over time, it does wear them. I shoot the repros mostly, as the wear and tear on them is of little consequence. The Zoli Zouaves are good basic muskets but sometimes the locks require a little tuning for best function.

bob208
12-11-2013, 07:23 PM
I have 3 zoli rifles one a 1803 harpers ferry. a 1841 Mississippi that was relined to .54 and a 1863 Remington.

Abert Rim
05-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Bump for a great old thread. Rick, I simply marvel at your mastery of machining.
I found this whilst Googling for Zoli Zouave bore dimensions. Seems one of the old Navy Arms Buffalo Hunters -- the sportered version of Zoli's Zouave -- has found its way to my house, and I was hoping for clarity on land/groove and twist dimensions.
Bill