PDA

View Full Version : Midway or Midsouth Or?

JesterGrin_1
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I am in need of some things to start with my 35 Whelen reloading project. So I am looking for the best place to purchase the Wilson Trimmer along with the Case holder needed and the Lyman M Die for cast along with a couple of other small items. Midsouth does not carry the Wilson or at least it is not on there web site? But Midway does but they do not have the Lyman M die in stock lol.

I have heard some things about the shipping cost so that is why I am trying to find one good place to deal with if possible that will not rip my head off lol.

Doc Highwall
07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Check Sinclair International @ www.sinclairintl.com

kingstrider
07-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I've ordered from both, if you compare prices and include shipping, Midsouth usually has Midway beat by a few dollars. But Midsouth seldom has everything I want or need so usually pony up and order from Midway instead. Plus the order always arrives in record time.

mooman76
07-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I won't backorder from Midway even though I buy there. They will charge you seperate shipping charges. Try a few other places to see if they have what you need. Like Natchetz or gaffs.

JesterGrin_1
07-24-2010, 12:38 AM
What is a good other place that might have what I am looking for?

Czech_too
07-24-2010, 06:43 AM
http://www.grafs.com/retail/

When possible, I like to deal with Graf's. Maybe it's because I can get dealer price since I have a C&R license. Regardless, I'm quite pleased with them.

JesterGrin_1
07-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank You I did look at Grafs but they were much higher than Midway or Midsouth.

So I got most of the items from Midway.

I needed a few things from Midsouth but they are closed on the weekend. :( And if you wish to change where the items are sent you have to call in another :(. But I am sure it will all work out. :)

Geraldo
07-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Not that it helps you now, but don't rule out Cabelas for more expensive items. The often have $50 off on a certain amount, and using those codes I got a couple of presses cheaper than anyplace else shipping included.

Also, before you order from Midway, google "midway coupon codes" or something similar. The last time I ordered from them I got free shipping with a code I found online.

gishooter
07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I prefer Mid South over Midway because Mid South is usually cheaper. But I do order from both. Mid South has matched prices on identical items from Midway the few times I've asked.

JesterGrin_1
07-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Also, before you order from Midway, google "midway coupon codes" or something similar. The last time I ordered from them I got free shipping with a code I found online.

Thank You I did go online for a code and it worked. :)

No such thing though for Midsouth :(.

As far as Cabelas I used to get coupons in the mail but after I used one I no longer get them. Go figure.

mtgrs737
07-24-2010, 01:51 PM
With a coupon, you can buy for about the same price as Mid-South and have bigger stock to choose from with Midway. However they are price setters for the industry as they are the first to rise prices.

jsizemore
07-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Grafs price includes shipping. They have a seperate handling charge which is the same for 1 item or 20. Their prices are competetive.

atr
07-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I've used both equally successfully.....some ites Midsouth carrier but Midway does not and visa-versa....
for instance Midsouth has a better selection of .311 and .312 J's....
mailing cost are roughly equal
also Midsouth does seem to be out of alot of items that I have a need for

softpoint
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I usually use Midsouth, if they have what I am looking for . I've had good luck with Wideners on some things as well. Precision Reloading has some things like large bags of buckshot and BB size lead shot that are hard to find. Midway probably has the most stuff, though, with Natchez second.[smilie=6:

JesterGrin_1
07-27-2010, 01:15 AM
I had to split up my order between Midsouth and Midway. Even though I wish I could have got everything from one place.

geargnasher
07-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I had to split up my order between Midsouth and Midway. Even though I wish I could have got everything from one place.

I order from both places, quite frequently, and both have their pros and cons. Had trouble with a scope base purchased from Midway once, they sent me a different brand of the same item (my choice) postage paid, and sent a call tag for the old one, all it took was a phone call. Never had to return anything from Midsouth, but I'll say the one order I called in was kinda fun trying to explain what items I needed to a high-school girl who didn't even know who originally recorded "Heard it through the grapevine". That song was playing on the Muzak each time she put me on hold. I mentioned the artist by name and she really got confused. I gave up and gave her my billing info, at least she got everthing right. I do all my ordering online now from both places, faster and more accurate.

Gear

JesterGrin_1
07-27-2010, 02:07 AM
lol. The same here but the order went well with Midsouth. I had to call that one in as I sent my order to my PO Box instead of my billing addy.

I got two Lyman M Die's and one Lyman sizer die from Midsouth.

The L.E.Wilson Trimmer and the mount for it as well as the two barrel holders for the Brass for the wilson. As Midsouth does not carry the L.E.Wilson stuff. :(

remy3424
07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I've ordered from both, if you compare prices and include shipping, Midsouth usually has Midway beat by a few dollars. But Midsouth seldom has everything I want or need so usually pony up and order from Midway instead. Plus the order always arrives in record time.

ditto, plus as geargnasher say, great customer service at Midway

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
I am a big fan of Natchez, they're prices are almost always cheaper but they charge more for shipping. When I need several items, I have always been money ahead.

Elkins45
07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
It's interesting that nobody mentioned Widener's. I bought some 7.62 brass from them and was very pleased. I don't know that they have a large variety but if they have what you're looking for then that doesn't matter.

Shooter6br
07-31-2010, 08:57 AM
There is a substanal price differance between Midway and Midsouth. I bought Hogue grips at Midsouth at $15 and Midway was $25 for the same idem. i shop price.Both have great customer service.

cajun shooter
07-31-2010, 09:41 AM
As has been stated you do have to watch out for Midway on the back order items. I received some small cleaning items that cost around $6 and the shipping was $14. I called and told them that I did not ploace the order. They advised it was a BO from 3 months prior. If you have a BO call and cancel or you will be surprised. Midsouth is the cheaper of the two but does run out of items quite often. Graf's is higher because of it's advertised $4.50 shipping charge. If a store offers something for less they make it up some where else. I will say that Graf's and Midsouth have given me better customer service than Mr. Potterfield's store.

GabbyM
07-31-2010, 12:46 PM
When you're a real tight wad like me. Use multi tab browsing. build duplicate orders then take a look at the bottom line.

fryboy
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
components ... powder valley hands down

tools is a toss up , i agree with the thought of multi tabbing , in stock is often a ummm c-shoot
natchez usually has lower prices and shipping is usually reasonable ,if buying lots of things or big ticket items always shop around