PDA

View Full Version : nef buffalo classic shooting way low

craveman85
07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
i bought a nef buffalo classic the other day. im working on making up some 500 grain loads but i bought a box of hornady leverevolutions to cure my itch to shoot it. frankly im a little dissappointed. the gun was shooting about a foot low at 50 yards so i put the rear sight all the way up the ramp and now its 8 inches low at 50 yards. i have no more adjustment and im a bit upset. going to have to wait till monday to call nef. any suggestions?

bubba.50
07-23-2010, 09:16 PM
from what i read a lot of people have this problem with buffalo classics. most solve the problem by using a lower front sight. also, buffalo arms sells a barrel mounted ladder sight expressly for buff. classic that fits factory sight/scope mount holes. good luck with yer gun and hope you get'er right. have a good'en neighbor, bubba.

dangerranger
07-24-2010, 02:58 AM
awhile back some others reported that theirs were shipped with the wrong front sight. there was a long discusion on this on greybeards H&R forum. if I rember corectly some got the corect sight from H&R, others bought upgraded rear sights. DR

craveman85
07-24-2010, 09:45 AM
i did get a .5 inch group at 50 yards though it was just way too low. ill call h&r on monday and be civil and if i have to ill yell at them. im not going to pay for a new sight for it though.

leadman
07-24-2010, 04:06 PM
In this case the front sight would be too tall, which is not a bad thing. A file will take care of this problem. Do it at the range so you can file a little, shoot, file some more if needed.

I would determine what load I was going to use in the rifle first though. The way it is now you can post 2 targets vertically, aim at the top on, hit the bottom one. This will help you pick a load to use without messing with the sights now.
Some guns will move the point of impact a long way with different bullets and loads.

dangerranger
07-25-2010, 01:56 AM
H&R has been very good to me with parts, Ive found yelling doesnt help. if your not getting what you need ask for someone else to help . on H&Rs site there is an online owners manuel. way at the bottom of that is the parts and #s. your front sight will have its part # on the bottom.[you have to remove it to read it ]. good luck DR

nicholst55
07-25-2010, 08:44 AM
In this case the front sight would be too tall, which is not a bad thing. A file will take care of this problem. Do it at the range so you can file a little, shoot, file some more if needed.

I would determine what load I was going to use in the rifle first though. The way it is now you can post 2 targets vertically, aim at the top on, hit the bottom one. This will help you pick a load to use without messing with the sights now.
Some guns will move the point of impact a long way with different bullets and loads.

The Buffalo Classic comes with a Lyman 17A globe front sight; filing on it wouldn't do anything but destroy it.

pmeisel
07-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Try the guys here:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

Very active H&R users. If H&R doesn't fix you up right away they can tell you what to do. And at least one of them seems to have some inside pull with H&R.

Arisaka99
08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I've got an H&R 20ga with a Mod. Choke, and it is a great gun!! I put a butt cuff on it and it is great!!! It shoots a great group at 5 yrds. Between 3 and 5in.

NickSS
08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I took care of two problems with one change of sights on mine. I took the rear sight it came with off and screwed on a Williams FP receiver sight. It cured my elevation problems and my windage problems completely. Now I can get on target cleam out to 3 to 4 hundred yards and also correct for windage easily and repeatably. Best $70 bucks I have spent in a long time.

craveman85
08-11-2010, 03:22 PM
nef sent me a new sight. its the same as the old sight .584 lyman 17aug. i told them it didnt fix the problem. they sent me a new rear sight. its the same as the one on my gun. im pretty sure it wasnt the barrels problem since its the same on the new barrel they sent me. i put a thin shim under the rear sight and it didnt help much. since ive got a spare set of sights now i decided to take a grinder to the riser in the front sight. i cut the globe off the riser and then filed down a bit and brazed them back together. its noticably shorter than the original sight and hopefully this cures my problem.

Swampman
08-19-2010, 04:06 PM
The higher the velocity the lower it will shoot. Reduce velocity and it will shoot higher.

montana_charlie
08-19-2010, 10:09 PM
The higher the velocity the lower it will shoot. Reduce velocity and it will shoot higher.
Hmnpf!

Don McDowell
08-19-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1727.html
That'll fix the problem.

Swampman
08-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Hmnpf!

A lot of folks don't know or understand this. It's the reason the higher velocity ammo shot low.

ammohead
08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
A lot of folks don't know or understand this. It's the reason the higher velocity ammo shot low.

Lower velocity will give the boolit more time to leave the bbl allowing for recoil to have it's effect raising the muzzle. This is most often seen in revolver rounds, and is how to regulate the old fixed sight 45 lc single actions for elev.

montana_charlie
08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
And apparently, you are one of those who lack that 'understanding' part.
craveman85 never said anything about shooting a higher velocity ammunition in his rifle.

ammohead has a better understanding of the effect, it's reason, and where it applies.

CM

RayinNH
08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Well actually MC, craveman did mention shooting some Hornady Leverevolutions through his BC to satisfy the itch until he got some reloads assembled. I suspect these are lighter bullets and of a higher velocity...Ray

montana_charlie
08-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Well actually MC, craveman did mention shooting some Hornady Leverevolutions through his BC to satisfy the itch until he got some reloads assembled. I suspect these are lighter bullets and of a higher velocity...Ray
Uhh..yeah, Ray...this thread is about his results when shooting those Leverevolution loads.
How much slower do you suppose his ammunition will have to be to raise POI 8 inches in 50 yards?

CM

Swampman
08-22-2010, 08:33 AM
About 500 fps or in the Trapdoor velocity zone.

craveman85
08-29-2010, 06:52 AM
lower velocity rounds didnt shoot higher. same poi

Nrut
08-31-2010, 03:11 AM
i did get a .5 inch group at 50 yards though it was just way too low. ill call h&r on monday and be civil and if i have to ill yell at them. im not going to pay for a new sight for it though.
I am surprised that you would think that with all the different vel. and boolit weights available for the 45-70 that NEF or any other manuf. could make one site that would cover them all.. I am also surprised that none of the previous posters have pointed this out to you.. A tang site will give you the greatest adjustment range but even then I find that I might have to change the front site hight when changing loads vel. or boolit weight.. As long as you blame NEF or the rifle itself for the problem you will not solve the problem..:shock:
Good luck with your Buffalo Classic..

montana_charlie
08-31-2010, 01:32 PM
I find that I might have to change the front site hight when changing loads vel. or boolit weight.. As long as you blame NEF or the rifle itself for the problem you will not solve the problem.
I believe he solved the problem when he said...

nef sent me a new sight. its the same as the old sight .584 lyman 17aug.

since ive got a spare set of sights now i decided to take a grinder to the riser in the front sight. i cut the globe off the riser and then filed down a bit and brazed them back together. its noticably shorter than the original sight and hopefully this cures my problem.

Now, we are just waiting to see if the factory globe sight got shortened enough to do the job right. The manufacturer should (probably) be shipping that rifle with a different front sight installed.

Lyman produces the #17 globe in these heights:
17AHB - .404" High
17AMI - .494" High
17AUG - .584" High
17AEU - .464" High (European Dovetail)

CM

dangerranger
08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Mine is the .494, and it puts the poi in the lower 1/3 of the rear sights adjustment at 100yds . Ive heard of others who had to send back there front sight several times to get the right one. its unfortunate that its that way but it worked out for them. DR