PDA

View Full Version : Source for steel in Dallas

22lover
07-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I started to fabricate a nice little backstop around a year ago. Life intervened and I now have a 9 month old!

Well, I want to finish things. I was just quoted approx. $180 for a 31X27" 3/8" steel plate.

Does ANYONE know where I can get some "discounted" scrap steel plate in DFW? Square tubing?

deltaenterprizes
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM
scrap yard

RayinNH
07-23-2010, 10:11 PM
22, try calling Triple-S for a quote. Their not a discounter though. Ask about drops, $180 for a plain steel plate is absolute insanity...Ray

http://www.sss-steel.com/

crabo
07-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Who all did you call? You are in trouble when you start asking for specific sizes. Unless someone has a drop off that you can buy, you are going to pay top dollar.

Do you have a way to cut it to size or do you need it cut to size?

22lover
07-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Who all did you call? You are in trouble when you start asking for specific sizes. Unless someone has a drop off that you can buy, you are going to pay top dollar.

Do you have a way to cut it to size or do you need it cut to size?

I can cut it if I need to, just figured it'd be easier to get them to cut. I didn't realize it would play that much into the price.

I've only called Metals Supermarket, where I've bought stuff in the past. I guess I need to scavenge.

dragonrider
07-24-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.speedymetals.com/

shaune509
07-24-2010, 04:06 PM
90# of steel minamum charge plus two shear cuts @ shop rate = $180.00
check there drop pile if they allow and get piece as cloce to size you need and cut to fit project your self.
or check the scrap yard as many places think it is to time costly to use drops and send it to scrap, many small shops could do most all there smaller jobs with this scrap. at scrap yard this week and saw a full load of steel structral tube in 5' to 15' lenghts 3x3 to 1/2"-8x8sq all dumped @ $130.00/ton[yard set it aside].

22lover
07-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys.

I just realized I have some galvanized steel fence posts in the garage, unused. I'm going to grind the galvanizing off of the relevant areas so I can weld to the existing structure w/o breathing toxic vapors. This will take the place of the further need for square tubing.

I will still need the plate, which I will source next week with the ideas above.

Linstrum
07-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Is there still any oil production going on around Dallas-Ft Worth? I used to get all my steel plate from scrap yards doing business with the oil industry. I got everything to build the dozer blade for my Caterpillar D4D for next to nothing by visiting the scrap yards around the grease patch in Ventura, California. I saw plenty of 3/8" steel plate any size you want lying around in stacks.

crabo
07-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Which side of Dallas do you live on?

22lover
07-25-2010, 06:01 PM
crabo - I'm in the Irving area.

22lover
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Is there still any oil production going on around Dallas-Ft Worth? I used to get all my steel plate from scrap yards doing business with the oil industry. I got everything to build the dozer blade for my Caterpillar D4D for next to nothing by visiting the scrap yards around the grease patch in Ventura, California. I saw plenty of 3/8" steel plate any size you want lying around in stacks.

There's quite a bit of natural gas production going on in the Barnett Shale, but I'm not sure about the scrap. I did find a couple metal scrap yards fairly close to me. Of course, they aren't open on the weekends so I have to carve out some time during the work week.

Linstrum
07-26-2010, 02:55 AM
I totally understand about trying to find time to go look, finding what you want at a scrap yard sure can't be done on your lunch break.

Since it's free, put up some cards on bulletin boards at supermarkets and laundromats in the parts of town where people who work in heavy industry and the grease patch go shopping.

You never know, someone will MAKE it show up for you for the cash, if you get my drift. Put up something like:

WILL PAY $50 CASH
I need a 3/8" steel plate
31"x27"
Please call me at
(555) 555-5555
eves & weekends only

That piece of steel weighs 87 pounds and if you offer $50 that is 57 cents a pound.

rl812

22lover
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys. I just got another quote, much more reasonable. Cut to size, 3/8" HR plate, $115. Much better, but will look in the scrap before going for it.

crabo
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I'd call some welding shops to see if they have anything sitting around.

22lover
07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys.... I found a 1/2" drop that will work great. Picking up tomorrow for pretty cheap.

Bill

Linstrum
07-30-2010, 05:18 PM
ALL RIGHT!!! The light at the end of your tunnel is getting a little brighter!

rl815

Buckshot
08-03-2010, 02:24 AM
................One thing that is a positive to So. California is there are usually several places performing or offering whatever it is you're needing, or needing done within 40 miles. For the past several years I've been into machining steel into piles of swarf, for odd or spur of the moment needs I've used Klure & Harris in Riverside (28 miles round trip), Patton Steel in San Bernardino (9 miles round trip) or Enco (mailorder).

I was needing some 7/8" 12L14 round bar, and called the 2 local places. They no got. The last listing for 'Steel' in the phone book was for a place called Cal-Mesa Steel in Yucaipa. Never knew about them, so I gave them a call. E-gads, I'm now in heaven! They're 4 miles round trip from me and have everything from A-2 to stainless, structural, aluminum, and sheet.

I was going to make some "T" nuts for a rotary table and (ideally) needed 7/8" x 5/8" rectangular bar. I figured, RIGHT! I just knew I'd end up buying some 7/8" square keystock and work from there. Danged if they didn't have it exactly and even had a drop 27" long, which was more then I needed by a long shot, but at $8 what the heck? Cruising the racks I also found two 22" long pieces of 1020 HR 1.5 x 2.5 bars and two 4" long pieces of 1.5" square 1020 HR.

They charged me $34 for the 3 big pieces and tossed in the 2 small 4" bits for free. I only needed that one piece for the "T" nuts and have no idea what I'll do with those other pieces, but it's a comfort to see them in the rack [smilie=l:

................Buckshot

22lover
08-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow, now those are some deals.

For you DFW area guys, I went to Metals4u (in the 183/ Regal Row area). Nice folks, particularly the guys in the warehouse. I don't have a pickup...in fact my car is fairly compact. They spent probably 20 minutes ensuring that the material (I also bought some square tubing) was situated safely, tied down correctly, flagged, that my seats were shielded from the oil, etc. I was pretty impressed, for what it's worth.