PDA

View Full Version : Yes, they bump up - probably!

Hubertus
07-23-2010, 03:58 PM
A while ago I asked some questions regarding the use of undersized PP boolits in my Pedersoli Rolling Block (.45-70). I bought a Money PP mould from a forum member; the patched diameter of boolits from this mould turned out to be .450 – might have overstretched the paper a bit plus the melt might have been a tad on the cold side.

Trying to establish the seating depth to my surprise the boolits could be pushed through the bore without much trouble. Being assured here in the forum Black Powder will take care to bump up the boolits - I gave them a try.

80 grains of Swiss 1.5 under a 0.03 cardboard wad and the boolit, compression: 0.08.

The loaded round compared to the Federal factory round and a 405 Lee HB:
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Range%20report%20Money%20PP/IMG00032-20100710-1439.jpg

Overall length was 3,307 this just goes over the hump of the Rolling Block into the chamber. OK, range time: knowing the POI of the 405 HB I guesstimated the elevation and the first shot at 100 m hit the 10 at 5 o’clock.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Range%20report%20Money%20PP/IMG00029-20100709-2054.jpg

Excited as I was I forgot to wipe and the second shot went low in the 5. Then the other two up in the 9 again, this time with one damp two dry patches.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Range%20report%20Money%20PP/IMG00030-20100709-2100.jpg

The bench was quite low and it didn’t allow me to rest the rifle but in a sandbag – so I rested it only in the front and used the elbows similar to prone position.
I know this is not a group, only 100 meters and it doesn’t say much but there was no lead in the barrel at all and the paper seemed to have held up well, so next time shooting for group.

Hubertus

montana_charlie
07-23-2010, 04:35 PM
this time with one damp two dry patches.
One dry patch should be sufficient, but many like to run two damp ones...

Good to see you again, Hubertus. And your 33 out of a possible 40 isn't half bad when just getting your feet wet.

CM

Hubertus
07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Thank you, Charlie.

Yes, it's been a while - haven't had much time to go on with the PP trials.
In three weeks I'll have an appointment at a 300 m range and will test this load as well.

Of course I will post results.

Hubertus

Hubertus
08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I thought I report back from my range visit.
It didn't work as expected :-(

Well in the end I found the problem...

But first things first:
The range visit overall was nice, seeing some guys that I hadn't seen in quite a while and we sure had a good time.

The first real surprise was that I actually hit the target at 200 meters after guessing the elevation but that was about it. The impact jumped around left right and a bit up and down (always around 10 inch groups at 200m). I tried to control my breathing better and the trigger pull, everyting. It's not that I shot at this distance for the first time. Last year I managed a 41 mm group at that range (300 meters) with my .30-06 but it's a different thing with scope and set trigger.
Charlie, I switched to the two damp patches and this seems better because I feel less resistance of the dry patch afterwards, hence less fouling in the barrel. Thank you.

I tried 300 m but unfortunately the range architecture (overhead panels) didn't help - the ballistic arch was a couple of inches to high at midrange so that I could hid the 300 m target. There was no use anyway - if the grouping is not good at 200 m why should it at 300 m.

Now ready for the problem? I found that the front sight came loose due to the barrel warming (didn't let it get hot). Actually I thought I fixed this with using some shims under the front sight and it was really tight the barrel beeing cold. But the warming of a couple shots was enough to let it get loose again. This explaines the crazy shots a bit and it means I have to try it again after fixing the front sight for good.

I'll keep you posted.

Hubertus

montana_charlie
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Now ready for the problem? I found that the front sight came loose

I'll keep you posted.
If it isn't one thing, it's another.
Do let us know how your loads work out after you get dependable sighting.

CM

David2011
08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Hubertus,

The same thing happened to my Ruger MkI .22. After trying to tighten it a couple of times, only to have it come loose each time, I degreased the barrel, screw and sight and used some blue Loctite on the screw threads. That was in 1982 and I've never had to tighten it again. You may need red Loctite as much hotter as your barrel gets. It will come loose with a LITTLE propane torch heat if necessary. Good luck!

David

David

dominicfortune00
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
If you use Loctite to secure your front sight, use the 262 red, not the 271 red.

The difference is that with the 262 you can disassemble with hand tools.

The other you need a torch.

303Guy
08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Good to hear from you again, Hubertus. :drinks:

I'm looking forward to the 300m results.:Fire:

Since we last 'spoke' I have found a suitable wad for my 303 Brit, wanting to be able to do the same as you 45-70 BP guys. It's wheat bran, would you believe!

Till next time.

Hubertus
08-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Thank you for all the info.
I will see how I can fix the front sight and then tell you how it worked.

303guy, yes good to be back. Unfortunately the 300 m didn't work out at that range, the overhead panels caught the boolits midrange. I guess I'll have to find an open range to test beyond 200 m.
About the filler, I heard that a lot of muzzle loader shooters use cream of wheat as a wad between ball and powder - hey if it works for you, why not.

And the testing continues...

Hubertus

Buckshot
08-22-2010, 03:00 AM
...............Hubertus, are you using a lube of some type on the patch, or shooting it dry?

...............Buckshot

Hubertus
08-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Buckshot, I shot the load dry. There was no lube involved, neither as cookie nor on the patch. Two damp and one dry patch took good care of the fouling between the shots. Recommended by MC I switched from one damp to two damp ones. The resistance of the dry patch afterwards is less than with one damp which tells me there is less powder fouling left in the barrel. (Of course!)

Meanwhile the frontsight is fixed. I hope for good. Since I didn't have Loctite on hand and had a talk with a friend I decided to try his method. He told me that he had used this method succesfully on several frontsights and it worked perfect for him. We put a layer of solder onto the bottom of the front sight that goes into the dovetail. Then drove it in place with a dowel and hammer. The sharp edge of the barrel took care of the excess solder. I'll see how it holds up under usage and will report back.

Hubertus

montana_charlie
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
We put a layer of solder onto the bottom of the front sight that goes into the dovetail. Then drove it in place with a dowel and hammer.
That is a very intelligent plan. It should work, and if it doesn't it can be removed without having permanently modified anything.
CM

Buckshot
08-24-2010, 03:17 AM
............Hubertus, I hope your sight 'fix' takes care of things for ya. You might want to check into lubing the patch when you have a chance.

.............Buckshot

Hubertus
08-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Buckshot,

What is your preferred method for lubing the patch?
I read in the "Paper Jacket" about the bees wax bath and read that a lot of people are applying a bit of lube just before firing with the fingertips. Some lube the whole patch after drying. Maybe I am overcomplicating things but I suppose one wouldn't get the same amount of lube on the patch distributed the same way every time. :confused:

Thanks Hubertus