PDA

View Full Version : Will Felix lube stiffen up.

Changeling
07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I am getting ready to make a batch of Felix's lube in the next couple of weeks as soon as all ingredients or in.
1 last question I hope: Will Wiljens formula for Felix lube stiffen up/harden in the freezer:

I ask this because I intend to pour it into a mold, harden it, then cut it into strips of approximately what the Lube sizer will hold and store in freezer bags in the freezer, so what I am asking is will it be manageable? Probably an uneducated question, but I don't like surprises.

okksu
07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
My first and only batch of Felix at room temps has the consistency of a hunk of cheddar cheese . I pan lube and have reheated about 5 times, and has maintained that consistency. I've cooled it down in the 'frig, but haven't frozen it. Not sure it needs to be frozen or even refrig'ed for long term storage. Mine has held up at normal household temps (low70's) for more than a month. Don't think there is any ingrediant in it to turn rancid, and it is fairly solid as it is. Maybe wrap it in waxed paper or film wrap if you take it out of the mold.

Calamity Jake
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
1 last question I hope: Will Wiljens formula for Felix lube stiffen up/harden in the freezer:

I ask this because I intend to pour it into a mold, harden it, then cut it into strips of approximately what the Lube sizer will hold and store in freezer bags in the freezer, so what I am asking is will it be manageable? Probably an uneducated question, but I don't like surprises.

I haven't looked at Wiljens formula but the standard felix lube is just fine without the freezer.
I usualy make a quart at a time, pour into brass tubing to mold and place in the fredge for about 10 min. then push out of mold and wrap in wax paper, store in a metal cabinet in my ac'ed loading room.

geargnasher
07-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Changeling, you can do what you want, but I'm telling you you're making this more difficult than it needs to be!

First, it will be very hard if you freeze it, second, if you cut it into bars and shove it in the sizer you will get air pockets that will complicate your lubing operation. Third, there is absolutely no reason to store it frozen, it does just fine in sandwich baggies in a can under your reloading bench.

You don't have to do it this way, but I've found after much trial and error that the easiest and most convenient way to handle the lube once you've made it is make some sort of ingots (think muffin tin) and keep a dedicated Pyrex measuring cup (two- or four-cup) full of the lube, then you can heat it up and pour it directly into the sizer reservoir.

IIRC it was 9.3 Al who suggested using a scented candle warmer to melt the lube, put the meausuring cup on it for a couple of hours and it will melt it without scorching. I use a microwave, but VERY carefully, heating in stages.

You could also make hollow stick lube moulds, several excellent threads here on how to do that, but a waste of time IMO.

Gear

SharpsShooter
07-23-2010, 03:47 PM
If the lube needs stiffening, add ******.

:D

SS

runfiverun
07-24-2010, 12:03 AM
just remelt and add a bit of carnuba or a tad more b-wax.
remember lube sometimes acts differently in the lubesizer than it does just sitting there.

Elkins45
07-24-2010, 09:52 AM
If the lube needs stiffening, add ******.

:D

SS

****** is pretty expensive. I find that if I just stroke the sticks gently up and down they'll stiffen up pretty well. Wait, what were we talking about? :mrgreen:

Seriously, a couple of spoons full of carnauba wax will help stiffen it quite a bit. Carnauba was the missing ingredient that finally helped me create a lithium grease based home brew that would stay in the groves during routine loading operations.

Changeling
07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Changeling, you can do what you want, but I'm telling you you're making this more difficult than it needs to be!

First, it will be very hard if you freeze it, second, if you cut it into bars and shove it in the sizer you will get air pockets that will complicate your lubing operation. Third, there is absolutely no reason to store it frozen, it does just fine in sandwich baggies in a can under your reloading bench.

You don't have to do it this way, but I've found after much trial and error that the easiest and most convenient way to handle the lube once you've made it is make some sort of ingots (think muffin tin) and keep a dedicated Pyrex measuring cup (two- or four-cup) full of the lube, then you can heat it up and pour it directly into the sizer reservoir.

IIRC it was 9.3 Al who suggested using a scented candle warmer to melt the lube, put the meausuring cup on it for a couple of hours and it will melt it without scorching. I use a microwave, but VERY carefully, heating in stages.

You could also make hollow stick lube moulds, several excellent threads here on how to do that, but a waste of time IMO.

Gear

Actually I am putting it in my freezer because it is really BIG and there is a section where I keep all the lube making supplies so I know where every thing is that is associated with lube. Also a freezer works a lot more efficiently when it is near full and mine isn't even close!

However I see the answer to my question is "Yes". I do like your suggestion better than mine relative to using muffin tins rather than cutting it into strips, much simpler, no fuss no muss. Thanks.:drinks:

Elkins45, that doesn't work, then they won't fit the freezer:roll:

cajun shooter
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I make my own BP lube by pouring it into 1inch PVC that is 6 inches long. After removing from the molds that I spray with a store brand Pam I put the sticks in freezer bags and put them in my freezer. This helps them cure faster to where I know that the centers are cured. After a stay in the freezer I put the bags in drawers that are at a comtrolled temp.

Changeling
07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
I make my own BP lube by pouring it into 1inch PVC that is 6 inches long. After removing from the molds that I spray with a store brand Pam I put the sticks in freezer bags and put them in my freezer. This helps them cure faster to where I know that the centers are cured. After a stay in the freezer I put the bags in drawers that are at a controlled temp.

Well that is exactly what I am/wanting to do, and will be doing. Our only difference is I will be using Gear's muffin pan advice and you are using PVC tubes. Same idea just a different approach.

Thanks very much for your positive response.