PDA

View Full Version : Which 30-30 to get???

barrabruce
07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
A friend wants to buy a thuddy thuddy lever.

I think he's pretty well made up his mind on a marlin.
Which model of the BNIB ones if any stand out from the others.

Think he's angling towards the S/S jobbie.

Do they still make a "cowboy" one with rifling and not micro groove?

I was thinking that cast may be easier to get to shoot good in it.

He's young and dumb and wants to shoot those pointy rubbery bullets cos they are so much better....

Aughhhh.
:groner:

So any pro's and cons for the different models???
Are the s/s models non rusting and you don't have to worry about nothin' like one tends to think??

Or is it more eye candy and how one feels about them.

Thought I'd ask the folks who may know a thing or 2 about them.

Me... I'll stick to me single shot ..till the first pig gores me to death.

Barra

Hickory
07-23-2010, 09:42 AM
I've never owned a Winchester, but I have a Marlin 336 and I have no complaints

JDL
07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, I think it all boils down to which flavor of ice cream he likes because I certainly can't order for him. Me, I like blue steel and walnut. I have three .30-30s and one .44, all with micro-groove barrels and all handle cast just fine.
JDL

45r
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd get the 30-30 XLR.My 45-70 XLR is very accurate and it's SS.They made the Cowboy for 2 years and are much sought after.They make a short barrel SS 30-30 marlin also in a limited run.Get one with ballard rifling the MG barrels are more fussy about what boolits they like.If I see a XLR for a low price I might get one.I'd love to get a 30-30 cowboy and there was a post at MO's that seemed like they might bring them out again but who knows with the plant moving.

miestro_jerry
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I have a serv al Marlin 336 lever guns, none have disappointed me. I shoot bullets from my RD molds and those do extremely well in the Marlins.

Jerry

MtGun44
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
All reports are big enough diam makes cast work in micro groove. Many
Marlins are 'ballard' (conventional) rifling now.

Winchesters are collector's grade only now or used. Marlin bought out and
factory moving. . . . who knows what that may portend. Rossi get some good
reviews, don't have one.

Pointy bullets in a .45-70. . . . . might make the drop at 200 16 instead of 18 inches
or some similar REALLY IMPORTANT improvement. ;-) Bad? of course not.
Big deal? Of course not.

Young and stupid. Been there, done that. Finally got over it, each has to do it
on their own.

Bill

pathfinder
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a Marlin 30A and just love the way it shoots.

Firebricker
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Any Marlin is a good choice IMO. Like JDL said it comes down to what flavor the buyer likes. I don't worry abought micro groove vs Ballard much anymore since my cast loads shoot so well out of shooting partners 336. FB

barrabruce
07-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice.

I will forward the information on to him

Cheers
Bruce

JIMinPHX
07-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I haven't seen one yet that I'd turn my nose up at.

Newtire
07-24-2010, 10:06 PM
If he's not going to put a scope on it, tell him to get a M93 and put a Tang Sight on it. It is one nice little Marlin. Cost a bit more but in the long run=worth it!

izzyjoe
07-24-2010, 10:34 PM
one more vote for the marlin, that's what i first started with ,and that's what i'll have in the end. will never be without one. have sevral diff. cals. love them all. but a marlin 30-30 holds a place in my heart.:Fire:

jh45gun
07-25-2010, 12:29 AM
I like Marlins but I like Winchesters too. If you do not want to scope it which is easy to do on Marlins a Winchester with a peep sight is a nice set up and a trimmer gun. Both are popular for a reason though Marlins are a better buy now because since Winchester discontinued the 94 even the less desirable ones are pricey.

barrabruce
07-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Are the angle eject winnies any good??
I know a bloke who wants to sell one.
He's got one of those horrid see throu mounts on it that gives you a nice chin weld to shoot.
I suppose he needed it to eject the case.
I thin I could get it pretty cheap. in new nick.

Barra

uscra112
07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
'nuther vote for Marlin. I have 336s in .30-30 and .35 Rem. Even the old shallow groove Microgroove in the .35 Rem handles cast beautifully. I can shoot hard cast .357 semiwadcutters at 1800 fps all day long, so long as they're sized .358, and still be hitting Campbells soup cans at 100 yards. Marlin field strips easier, can take a scope if you want it, doesn't let water in the top of the action if it's raining, and they're less money, too.

Freebore
07-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I like them both but I will always lean towards a Winchester. I just like them a bit better!

Snapping Twig
07-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Have a look at the Marlin 336 BL.

Laminated stock with pistol grip, medium loop, blued finish and 18.5" barrel.

rhead
07-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I have owned several examples of both Winchesters and Marlins. I cannot say that I ever had a bad one but I am sure that the occasionial lemon does get by the inspector. In my experience the marlins will usually shoot a little better and the winchesters are a better rifle for carrying.

I do a lot of "Walking in the woods armed" in relation to actual hunting. Much of my retirement fund is invested in timber land and the feral pigs need to be kept under control while inspecting the timber. Also the occasional bear could create an embarrassing situation, A winney is my choice for this. If I get on a stand and wait for a deer I use a marlin with a scope. Areas where visibility past 150 yards just do not occur.

It depends a lot on personal taste. Either will do the job quite well.

jlchucker
07-31-2010, 09:19 AM
All reports are big enough diam makes cast work in micro groove. Many
Marlins are 'ballard' (conventional) rifling now.

Winchesters are collector's grade only now or used. Marlin bought out and
factory moving. . . . who knows what that may portend. Rossi get some good
reviews, don't have one.

Pointy bullets in a .45-70. . . . . might make the drop at 200 16 instead of 18 inches
or some similar REALLY IMPORTANT improvement. ;-) Bad? of course not.
Big deal? Of course not.

Young and stupid. Been there, done that. Finally got over it, each has to do it
on their own.

Bill

Bill, you make some good points. I was using boolits in my Marlins when all Marlin had was microgroove, and never realized there was a problem. They all shot good and still do. Wish I had one with Ballard rifling though--just because.

Pointy bullets in a 45-70....Good point! Even though the flat ones won't bounce off on game animals, to each his own.

Young and stupid? Been there and done that too. The closer you get to achieving Geezerhood status, the closer you get to getting over it, but it takes time and experience...and like you say, everyone has to do that on their own.

John

barrabruce
08-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks All answers duly noted.
Even looked up the 35rem.
Not common around here.

Bruce

DLCTEX
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
You didn't get any answers on the angle eject. I have never even held one so I can't help. I heard a lot of negative comments when they first came out, but they were just resisting change, not criticizing function or performance.

Suo Gan
08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
The Marlin action is stronger, and easier to take down as well...

9.3X62AL
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I have both Winchester 94 and Marlin 336 leverguns, and like both very much. The Marlin is easier to mount a scope sight onto, and its bore can be more easily accessed for cleaning from the chamber end. I don't "scope" my leverguns unless doing load development, though. Either make will serve your friend very well.

Larry Gibson
08-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I've had several marlins over the years and they always shot well but I always prefered the "feel" of the M94 so the Marlins were sold/traded off. I've had numerous M94 carbines and rifles over the years also. Always have had a M94 since my 14th birthday. I now have 2 M94s. The carbine I got for my 14th BD and a Black Shadow M94AE. The M94 AE is like a M64 excepth the stock comb is a little higher for scope use and the stock and fore end are composite. The barrel is 24".

I've had several AEs and have liked them all. I just went through several different models until I found the one I liked best and the BS M94AE is it. With proper mounds such as the Leupold 2 piece bases and low rings the scope is as low over the bore as with any Marlin. Actually I had to set the scope back a tudge as the hammer spur would hit the scope on firing if any farther forward. The Weaver bases and low rings still set the scope just a tudge to high for my liking. I've not had an ejection problem at all. Some have had light primer strikes and ignition problems with the newer M94s but my experience is the hammer is hitting the push button safety. I turn down the safety so the hammer does not hit it and have not had ignition problems except with the hard #34 primers. CCI 200s and WLRs go bang all the time.

I've set the M94 up for use with the scope and when removed the Lyman reciever site slips into the base. With Hornady LeveRevolution ammo accuracy is very close to moa and velocity is 2440 fps. This makes it a definate 300 yard deer/antelope/coyote rifle. With Speer 130 HP can be pushed to 2700 fps with a safe load and also makes for a fine "all around load". With cast bullets My M94AE really shines with the Lyman 311041 at 2200 fps. All other cast loads atypical of the 30-30 do very well in it also. The Marlin XTRs also give very similar performance and are to be recommended if you like the feel of the Marlin. What feels best to you is the way to go. Personally I prefer the feel of the M94, particularly the 24" barreled M94AEs.

What you see on the barrel under the front sight base is the strain gauge for measuring pressure with the M43 Oehler PBL.

Larry Gibson

NickSS
08-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I have both winchesters and marlin 30-30 rifles and like both very much. my knoking around gun happens to be a 94 pree angle eject 20 inch carbine. I bought it several years ago and it was far from new or pretty but it shot extremely well. So I gave the rifle a coat of oven bake black paint on the metal and lifted a few dents and oil finished the stock and now I carry it most places. That oven baked paint is tough and I have yet to scratch or wear through it.

mack1
08-01-2010, 11:08 PM
1 more vote for the XLR. My 308ME shoots very well(75 5 shot groups at 100yrds scoped and a good rest) and I would expect the 30-30 to do well also. The XLR has a longer barrel so is not quite as handy as a 336 but points better than most of my bolt guns.