PDA

View Full Version : .675 round ball loads for 12 gauge?

Randy in Arizona
07-23-2010, 03:59 AM
I have a .675 round ball mold and want to load two or three of them in a stack for my 12 gauge.

What wads or shot cup or shot collar?

missionary5155
07-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Howdy
First step is to figure out what your muzzle diameter is. Whatever combination you are going to use needs to exit the barrel without undue compression. Depending on wad thickness and the "Crushability" of the petals passing through the muzzle you should have little trouble finduing a wad for your ball diameter. I have used .685 up to .710 in various wads.
Not all wads are equal. They petals are of varying diameters. Generally the wads for steel shot are thicker. The older lead wads thinner. So do a bit of measuring and someone will have a wad suggestion. Generally a wad with a curved inner base works well with ball.

Greg5278
07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Try the LBC wads from BPI. They might be too thick on the petals. A .662 ball would be better. Most large capacity wads have tapered petals, which will make fitting the balls a problem. A .600 or .610 ball opens up the wad selection a bit more. I guess you could make some heavy wall Teflon wraps. I seem to recall trying cut off 16ga hulls as shot wrapper for some special 12ga loads years ago. I don't know if the newer plastic hulls have the same wall thickness.
Greg