PDA

View Full Version : BRP Molds

knifemaker
07-23-2010, 12:30 AM
This is for you guys that have debated with purchasing a custom mold due to not getting what you want in a factory production mold.
I was in that position after using factory molds, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, for over 20 years. I now have two Marlin rifles, 44 mag. and 45/70 caliber that required a slightly larger boolit to fit the grooves. On the 44 mag, I have joined the group buy for the Keith 250 Gr. mold that will drop a 434 dia. boolit and still awaiting it's arrival.

For the 45/70 I recently ordered a 4 cavity mold from BRP molds. I like the idea I was able to get that mold with two different boolits. One being a 300 gr. GC that drops at .463 and a 350 gr. GC that drops at .462. that will give a flat shooting 300 gr. for deer&pig hunting and a 350 gr for larger game.

I got the mold yesterday and have already cast about 200 boolits with it. after the cool down I selected at random 10 boolits of each weight for weighting and size checking.

I was amazed to find the weights were within one grain for each boolit in both weights. I have never had that precision on any factory muti cavity mold before. That means the cavities were machined identical in both cavities for each weight, and my boolit casting that day was up to snuff.

I used my mike to check for size in three different spots on the drive bands. The 300 gr bullet that drops at 463 were wihin one thousand from 463 t0 464. The 350 gr that drops at 462 was also within 1 thousand from 462 to 463 dia. I can not tell you how many factory molds I have used that gave me a size varance of 3-4 thousand in the different cavities.

I am very pleased with the mold from BRP and their wormanship on their molds are top rate as far as I am concerned. Should have went custom a long time ago , but like most folks trying to save a buck I held off until now.:p:lovebooli

357maximum
07-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Bruce @ BRP actually cares about what he is doing. There is darn good reason my mould drawer now has more BRP moulds than all the other makers combined. Bruce makes my guns more accurate by selling a quality product that allows me to make boolits that fit/work.

RobS
07-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Yepper Bruce and all the other custom makers produce what a person needs and what works best for their firearms. My casting setup now only has one non custom, a lee six cavity, and the rest are built from a few different custom mold makers.

Dutch4122
07-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Another shameless plug here for BRP Custom Molds from a very satisfied customer. Bruce really has a handle on all aspects of mold making. The final finishing that goes into his molds is the best I've ever seen. Definately money well spent and the product is worth more than Bruce charges.

6.5 mike
07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I have both BRP's 6.5 molds & couldn't be happier with them. Now that I have my nny brass fire-formed to match the chamber in the $203 swede, I'll load some for when I get of the boat next time, can't wait to shoot some.

Lloyd Smale
07-24-2010, 06:47 AM
His molds are great and i highly recomend them. Nice thing to is his designs are available all the time and you dont have to wait for group buys.

white eagle
07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I might just as well jump in here to
I just got into casting but have been handloading for a long time both rifle and shotgun
I tried a custom early in the game and I am glad I did
the mold drops bullets that are dead nuts in weight and mike out well within claimed specs mine miked out @.431 and is perfect fo my gun no sizing just mold,lube,shoot,repeat

chboats
07-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I'll add a +1 to what Dutch4122 said. I needed a mold that cast at least .462 boolit. Ordered the 462 420 with and without GC. Without question the most accurate boolits in my rifle. Can cover the hole from three rounds at 100yds with a quarter most of the time. The times that I can't are generally operator problems.

Carl

GLL
07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Bruce has made several custom moulds for me. One of the benefits of working with BRP is that when he makes a custom cherry for anyone the design becomes part of his standard catalog selection. Anyone can order a single mould without having the headaches of a Group Buy !

I just sign over my retirement check to Bruce and he sends me a couple moulds each month ! :) :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/DC76820B289C703/orig.jpg

crabo
07-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately, I got one of his molds this week. After casting for a couple of hours, I gave it up. It was just too hot, 97 degrees. I have a big pile of beautiful boolits, The mold spit them out easily.

The problem is that now I may need to buy some more guns so I can buy some more molds. I have H&Gs, Mihec, Lee, Ballisticast, RCBS, Saeco, Mountain Molds, NOE, and this one is my favorite at the moment. Once I got the heat regulated for pure lead, and added some tin, it started casting perfect boolits. Just when I thought I had it covered....

MGySgt
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Ok - I will be the stupid one and ask?

What is the URL for them?????

HORNET
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Try http://www.brp.castpics.net , or you can get there from the Vendor/Sponsor Forum. He's got some discussion on there on a couple of new designs he's releasing. I've handled a couple of molds that he built and they look very nice.

MGySgt
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Thasnk you Hornet

bowhunter
07-30-2010, 12:59 PM
i have a 1952 32 special marlin and my wife has a 1948 marlin 30-30. my 32 is a real tack driver with rcbs cast boolits, i have a lyman 311291 for the 30-30. i could throw rocks as good as it will shoot that boolit. i called bruce and ordered a 173 hp mold. i cast some yesterday in this S.C. 100+ heat with about 80% humidity. i must be crazy, i sized and lubed and loaded and shot yesterday after noon, by then the heat had dropped below 100. the humidity stayed up. bingo! nice little knotted up groups. this mold cast with ease, better than any i have ever used. bruce also sent me some sample 32 boolits. yea his molds and service is worth every cent. the reason for working in the heat we have the longest deer season in the world in S.C. aug 15-jan 1 you can hunt with any weapon on private land,no restrictions.so i got to be ready!

Beaverhunter2
09-09-2015, 05:26 PM
I realize this is an old thread but....

Is Bruce still making molds?

I have one of his in .478 It casts a 400gr LFNGC, A 370 GR GCHP, and a 350gr FNPB.

It's boolits shoot better than I can in my .480 SRH. I'll be carrying the 370HP this deer season.

John

Hamish
09-09-2015, 06:37 PM
Sadly, no. I didn't realize about his molds myself until it was too late,,,,,,,

Beaverhunter2
09-09-2015, 08:27 PM
That's a shame. I would have liked another.

John