PDA

View Full Version : Another Krag

Char-Gar
07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
My Nephew by marriage has brain cancer and has asked me to help him sell some guns. I went over there today and took some pics and we talked about the process. He had two Krags and wanted me to have them knowing my affection for Krags. One had a cut down military stock and full length barrel. The other was a full blown sporter from a couple of generations ago. I told him I would not take them both, but would accept the old sporter. It is in pretty sad shape from decades of sitting in various closets with no attention.

The stock has been broken and repaired at some time in the past and has plenty of dings. It will take a full blown refinish and repair job which I can do. In spite of a layer of rust, the metal is in good shape. It had received a good rust blue and the extra layer didn't seem to do any damage. There are some places of small pits, but they are under the original finish. The bore cleaned up bright and sharp with a .3095 groove diamter. The rifle was made in 1899.

It came with a very old Weaver K 2.5 in Weaver side mount. I am left handed so this will have to go and be replaced with a receiver peep. I have a couple of Redfields for the Krag in my signt box.

I already have three Krags so this makes four. It belonged to an old Judge up in Waco many years ago. It made several trips to Alaska. I just wanted to bring this old vet back to life as far as I can. It is too fine a rifle to allow to continue it's decline. I don't know who did the stock, but it is a pretty fair job. There was a dovetail cut into the bottom of the barrel with a screw stud in it. There is a screw through the forend into this stud giving a good firm bedding.

Here are a couple of pics as it came in the door with plenty of dirt and rust. Someday I will post the after pictures.

mooman76
07-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I had a chance to pick one up a couple years ago. I debated back and forth over getting it but the desiding factor was that it was bubba'd pretty good so I passed. I kind of regret it sometimes because I never see them around anywhere to pick up.

Bret4207
07-23-2010, 07:05 AM
My thoughts and prayers will be with your nephew. Tough row to hoe.

MtGun44
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your nephew. Lost a friend 15 yrs ago to brain cancer, not a good
way to go, altho not many are.

Looks like a cleanup and you'll have a nice rifle there.

Bill