PDA

View Full Version : Any of You Guys Ever Use Roze Boolits?

Spartacus
07-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Any feedback?

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=RZD

Rick N Bama
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I've never really figured out who Roze is other than you can order Zero brand Bullets & ammo through them. Zero is a local company & while I've never used any of their cast, I have shot a lot of their 9MM jacketed as well as around 1000 of their 45cal bullets. I have no complains at all with their products although I have heard that their loaded ammo leaves something to be desired. YMMV.

FWIW, I've been able to buy the Zero Bullets a bit cheaper from Alabama Ammo located in Moulton AL.

ETA: I've not bought any of their bullets since I started casting my own in '04. Zero Bullets have been in business for something like 40 years if I remember right.

Rick

Spartacus
07-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info Rick. It looks like Alabama Ammo's website is dead.

If I am reading the Roze site correctly, most of their bullets are priced at around $100/thousand. Does it even pay to cast my own at that price?

billyb
07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I have shot a lot of the Zero jacketed in 38-357,and 45 auto. they are good bullets. Have not used any of their cast. Powder Valley in Winfield Kansas has Zero bullets. Bill

jsizemore
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
If I am reading the Roze site correctly, most of their bullets are priced at around $100/thousand. Does it even pay to cast my own at that price?

Last time I calculated what it cost me to produce a 200gr swc it was 1.3 cents/ boolit. So that's $100/7500. And they fit my gun.

Bret4207
07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
There is no way you can buy as cheap as you can cast unless you pay yourself for your time, and handsomely at that.

Rick N Bama
07-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info Rick. It looks like Alabama Ammo's website is dead.

It appears that Zero sizes their cast 38/357 boolits to .357" & their 45s to .451". No way that will work in my guns. The worse leading I've ever had came from some commercial cast I tried in my 357mag guns. Shoot 25 rounds & spend 2 days cleaning the lead out. No way I'll go back to buying my cast unless I can buy them sized to fit my gun.

Rick

Spartacus
07-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I see that Midwest has even better prices than ZERO and are sized up a bit.

http://www.bulletsdirect.com

I hear you on saving money on casting and I intend to cast for my S&W 500 but I can't justify casting for the 9 millimeter and .45 as it seems waaay too time consuming for such small boolits.

Old Caster
07-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I use Roze bullets in a 158 grain swaged SWC because they along with Magnus swaged are the most accurate I can come up with and are necessary to use in Distinguished Revolver matches.
I have no problem getting Saeco 068, 069, Lyman 452630, Laser Cast and some bullets given to me from a Lee GB to shoot in my .45 Les Baer. All of these bullets look virtually identical but I have shot others that looked identical, measured identical, were in the same BHN range and were no good. Out of a Ransom Rest I would be hard pressed to guess which will be the best the next time I do it. My guess would be the 069 but not by enough to make a big deal of it. I have shot many others designs moulded and commercial that were a little worse all the way to terrible. Recently I bought 100 Dardas bullets that looked halfway between an 068 and an 069, in other words a slight bevel base and accidently ordered .451 size. I did not expect them to shoot very well but was surprised that they were as good as anything I had tried before. I decided that I should try some .452 and .453 from them to see if they were better (better was a tall order because the .451's shot 2 1/4 inch 50 yard 10 shot groups). Well,the .452 size was a little worse and the .453 was more so but not by a lot. The .453's were about 3 1/2 for 10. In all fairness I will have to say that I tried the .452's and .453's only once and anything can happen in one try. My advice is that if you want to buy bullets for your .45 and you need accuracy, get Dardas and try 100 of each size and post back with your results so we have a broader spectrum to look at. If you want 158grain 38's and need top accuracy get Zero or Magnus swaged. For the .45 though it is easy to mold and get top accuracy with the right mold.

GSM
07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Roze is an anagram for Zero.

I haven't shot their jacketed, but their swaged 38's and 45's did me well until the casting addiction took over. Soft lead and alox lube.