PDA

View Full Version : 7mmHunter

Blammer
07-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Here is my results so far with the NOE 7mmHunter.

boolits drop at .287, nose is .277 and the Gator, Horn, Or Lyman checks slip right on perfectly!

I cast up a few with WW alloy air cooled and sized and lubed them.

My 7-30 Waters TC is the platform I'll be using the most with this I'm sure.

I loaded up a few with 29gr of IMR4895. Shot 1 to test for leading, none so far.

Gonna have to get out and shoot some more for accuracy and velocity.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/7mm/DSCN8117.jpg
These are 30-30 cases I haven't fire formed yet, hence the funny looking brass.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/7mm/DSCN8121.jpg

fatnhappy
07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
what the heck is going on with your case necks DJ?

Blammer
07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
These are 30-30 cases that I have not fire formed to 7-30 waters yet.

robroy
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
False shoulder gives good concentric necks. I run my unformed AI cases over the sizing button of the next size up and size back down to spec leaving the neck big .100 ahead of the shoulder.
The mould came today. I may be able to cast some by the end of the week end. Fingers crossed.

fatnhappy
07-23-2010, 07:36 PM
These are 30-30 cases that I have not fire formed to 7-30 waters yet.

Ahhhhh

I didn't see the small type between the two photos.

Doc Highwall
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I just wanted to say that I received my four cavity mould today and it looks great.

fatnhappy
07-23-2010, 09:55 PM
my mould came today!

It looks used though................... :kidding:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/060.jpg

blaser.306
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Not used , Experienced!![smilie=l:

kbstenberg
07-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Blammer in your first picture it looks like you are crimping your bullet in the lube Grove. Am i seeing things or is that where the boolit fits best in your 7/30 Waters?
Kevin

Blammer
07-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm not crimping anything, no need in a single shot.

And I chose to put it deep enough so the mouth just covers the lube groove and is a smidge into the next band, but not by much.

schoolbus
07-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I got my mold yesterday. As expected, another great looking mold from NOE!
Gordon

Gray Fox
07-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I, too, received mine yesterday and it sure looks nice, and the first day I get cooler than 90 degrees I'll be outside seeing what I can produce with WW. I see that Midway has the .285 push through sizer for less than $10 so I'd better get one headed my way, I may get a Lyman one, too, so I can use some of this green lube I bought. Blammer, thanks for honchoing this for all of us.

Wayne S
07-25-2010, 02:10 PM
I see that Midway has the .285 push through sizer for less than $10 so I'd better get one headed my way, I may get a Lyman one, too, so I can use some of this green lube I bought. Blammer, thanks for honchoing this for all of us.
Just be sure to check the TOTAL $$$ TYD

kbstenberg
07-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Blammer i got mine yesterday. We must have had a new delivery person! The package came un-damaged this time.
My regular Carrier doesn't like my lead deliveries. An lets my wife know about it.
Kevin

peterthevet
07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Mine arrived in Australia this morning. Looks good, Thanks again. Peter

Blammer
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Sweet! The other stuff arrive with it?

ihmsakiwi
07-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Sweet! The other stuff arrive with it?

Hi Blammer<

No, thats Peter from New Zealand with the other stuff.................close enough!!

blaser.306
07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Ok not funny anymore !:-? Mail delivery to different continents is faster than than next door to the north ! I'm sure it will make it but the wait is unbearable .:cry:

SCIBUL
07-31-2010, 11:09 AM
mine is arrived in France today !
Great looking job ! I think it is not goint to stay cold very long... :wink:

Blammer
07-31-2010, 06:47 PM
DANG Barclay! that sucks!

Imh, and scibul ,glad you got your stuff so soon.

Hope you enjoy!

robroy
08-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I did a search for the origional past on this boolit and came up empty. Is it possible to get copies, electronic or paper, of the design drawing?

Blammer
08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
sure, here is the link to the original thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=68856

if you need more pics or drawings. let me know.

ihmsakiwi
08-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Well..............anyone got any actual shooting results to post yet??
Mine is still in transit to New Zealand and I will hopefully get some cast before the next range day in two weeks time. a much anticipated mould to see if it will chamber in a tight 7mm Super Mag BF pistol chamber. The standard RCBS 145gr I need to nose size so if this one fits without that extra step I guess my wheel weights will get a hammering. Peter.

robroy
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
thanks Daryl

Blammer
08-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I just shot a few out of my 7-30 waters TC with a full load of 4895 and they fly straight and no leading! Estimated vel was 2100fps I think. :)

Will have to get some groups in later.

C1PNR
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
I think I forgot to mention receiving mine several days ago. VERY nice work! I got mine with 1 HP and the workmanship is beautiful!

I just hope I can do it justice in my rifles. ;)

ihmsakiwi
08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Blammer<

No, thats Peter from New Zealand with the other stuff.................close enough!!

Hi BLAMMER,
All is right with the world. My mould arrived in NZ today along the extras. thank you agian for arranging this. Hopefully casting tomorrow and then shooting following weekend.
Mould looks great. Peter.

Wayne S
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi BLAMMER,
All is right with the world. My mould arrived in NZ today along the extras. thank you agian for arranging this. Hopefully casting tomorrow and then shooting following weekend.
Mould looks great. Peter.

For thoses wondering if Peter is crazy, It WINTER down under, something like low 50's . [smilie=b: DAMN , to far to have a 2nd home

280Ackley
08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
No Joy

After two attempts with this mold, I have yet to get a good boolit. It looks like it wants it hotter, but I've got my pot cranked as high as it will go. After the first attempt I went back and recleaned the mold and the second time I preheated on a hot plate. 20 lbs of WW with 2 small ingots of tin. Same result both times. Shiney boolits with wrinkles. Help! I really want some 7mm HP's for the upcoming deer eradication season in Oct.[smilie=b:

Doc Highwall
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
280Ackley, you say that your pot is cranked up all the way but what is the temperature of the alloy? With out a thermometer in the pot you will not know if the pot is at fault needing a new heating element.

fatnhappy
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
280 Ackley,

How are you smelting? Reason I ask is most guys smelt with a turkey frier or some such device....which can get your melt and mold a whole lot hotter than most people would ever need. If you truly need a much warmer melt temp I'd get a dipper and give it a try.

BTW I have to run both my NOE moulds hot too.

280Ackley
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Decided to try one more time tonight. Got out my little 10 lb lee pot and turned it all the way up. Preheated mold on high. 5 or 6 tries and boolits. Reject rate was still high and one cavity consistently threw boolits with rounded bases. But, I still ended up with a good pile to try.:drinks:

Blammer
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
good deal, i found that I needed to clean my mould two times and then crank up the heat and I got good ones.

I have a Lee pro 4-20 and have the temp all the way up. But you have a HP too! Wow! I bet that HP will rock!

I just need a push through sizer now! :)

fatnhappy
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I finally got to work with my mould for more than a test casting. The boolits just slid out of the mould like they were greased. Pretty impressive considering the square lube groove.

There's some culls in the picture (operator error) but by and large the mould cast beautifully from the first warm pour.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/001-9.jpg

blaser.306
08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
early attempts at working up a load ! Looks prommising so far .

280Ackley
08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Gave mine a try today. 7x57, iron sights, 50yds. Best group was right at an inch with 25 grains of rl7. Also tried some loads with IMR4350 but the results were not as good.

fatnhappy
08-21-2010, 10:21 PM
I went through my castings from last week. Had about a 50% rejection rate. It looks like I need to scrub the mould with borax and boil it. No big deal.

I walloped her with one that made the grade.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/001-10.jpg

ihmsakiwi
08-23-2010, 05:17 AM
No Joy

After two attempts with this mold, I have yet to get a good boolit. It looks like it wants it hotter, but I've got my pot cranked as high as it will go. After the first attempt I went back and recleaned the mold and the second time I preheated on a hot plate. 20 lbs of WW with 2 small ingots of tin. Same result both times. Shiney boolits with wrinkles. Help! I really want some 7mm HP's for the upcoming deer eradication season in Oct.[smilie=b:

Hi Guys,
Well finally got to make some wrinkly bullets a week after my range session due to
dam wet weather. I do all my bullet casting out of doors. Well i fired up my Lyman 20lb pot and proceeded to get hundreds of wrinkly bullets. I had i thought given it a good scrub with carb cleaner and a tooth brush. I will boil it tonight and scrub again. My Lyman pot likes to run at its hottest setting 10, as when I turn it down to say seven, the spout cools and blocks. a couple of the less wrinkled bullets I will try in the 7mm super mag's tight chamber.
A question, should the sprue plate take quite a bit more hitting to open versus my usual two holers? This is the first five holer I have owned, and logic says if I am cutting five versus two it probably will be more. I have a wooden stick which I would hit a two holer maybe three times max to shear the sprue, but I would hit the five holer about 6 or seven times. Wow that long sprue plate sure whacks your knuckles if you hold the handles up too far. Bullet looks good though. Peter

Blammer
08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
your letting it get too cold
I find that when my 5 or 6 cav it up to temp on casting it can be opened with my hand easy enough

I think you need to cast quicker, use some bullplate on the sprue plate to help prevent lead smears.

Mugs
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Blammer
Now that they have you hooked on sillhouette you need to get that boolit to the next match.
Been shooting silhouettes with all cast for 25+ years. Keep after it till you get that 40x40 with cast.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

cbrick
08-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Speaking of cast bullets and silhouette, where did the summer go? Only a week and a half till the Extravaganza. Looking forward to seeing you and your bride again Mugs.

Anyone near the west coast and want to try your boolits on steel the Extravaganza is Labor Day weekend, the 4th, 5th and 6th of September. One entry fee for all the entries (shoot through's) you want plus two BBQ's.

Rick

Wayne S
08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=ihmsakiwi;978821]
A question, should the sprue plate take quite a bit more hitting to open versus my usual two holers? This is the first five holer I have owned, and logic says if I am cutting five versus two it probably will be more. I have a wooden stick which I would hit a two holer maybe three times max to shear the sprue, but I would hit the five holer about 6 or seven times. Wow that long sprue plate sure whacks your knuckles if you hold the handles up too far. Bullet looks good though. Peter[/QUOTE
Peter,
Trey casting faster, as soon as the last hole is filled, and starts to frost over hit the plate ear.
Try, putting the mold in the handles so the spru plate ear[the part you hit] at the top instead on the bottom, set your bench up so there is something for the plate to hit as a stop .
Works great being a left hander, might work for right handers "down under" :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

ihmsakiwi
08-26-2010, 04:25 AM
Interesting............
I changed from my Lyman 20lber to the 10lb Dribble King and get beautiful boolits. The Lyman on max setting isn't as hot as the Lee. Oh well, at least it gives the Dribbler a new lease on life as the Lyman has up till now done all my casting for the last 10 years or so.
I may have over done the warm up period whislt having dinner. It took the sprue at least 5 minutes to set and in fact for a couple of minutes I was in panic mode in case I had warped my mould. the sprue bubbled for 2 minutes but boy are they good looking boolits. Peter.

kbstenberg
08-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Has anyone tried this bullet in 7mm Rem Mag yet?
Kevin

Blammer
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
OK here are some results with pictures.

Loaded up the 150gr boolit with 30gr of IMR4895 for my 7-30 waters super 14.
AC WW's.
25 yds away shot into milk jugs filled with water.
First jug totally exploaded.
Second, busted apart considerably.
3rd and 4th, nice big exit hole.
Bounced off 5th jug and landed in grass 3' away.

Gas check stayed on, wt is 138gr.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/7mm/DSCN8206.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/7mm/DSCN8207.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/7mm/DSCN8209.jpg

280Ackley
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Looks like those NC deer are in for a bad year. Nice pics

kbstenberg
08-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I used my mould for the first time today. I wasn't intending to save any bullets it cast. I just wanted to get some time with it warmed up. I agree the lead has to be much hotter than normal. An i think this mould will have to be used by its lonesome. Rather than with another.
As state i was using it in tandem with another new mold an i couldn't keep it warm enough to break more than 2 sprue's by hand.
On the up side i never had to use my mallet to release the bullets from the mould. All i had to do was shake the mould a little an all the bullets would drop out. Not 1 of my moulds has done that even after polishing all the cavities.
If NOE keeps giving us quality moulds like this one he is really going to spoil us against using any other kind of mould
Kevin

kbstenberg
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Has any one used an alloy other than WW?
Kevin

robroy
09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I can't get this 3 banger to fill out completely. I've tried clipon WW and WW/pure +2% tin. I've preheated the mould and got it hot enough so the boolits drop frosty. Yes I cleaned the mould with a toothbrush and hot water with dish detergent. I tried cleaning with carb cleaner before that. I even tried smoking the mould. My ww worked fine in a Lyman 225462 and in a Ranchdog 360.

The mould will not fill out particularly in the grease groove and drive band. I'm going to try cleaning again and rechecking the alloy in another mould to see if the problem lies there.

Very frustrating.

Doc Highwall
09-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I have the same problem with mine and I am going to soak it over night before the next casting session.

robroy
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Doc Is yours a 3 cavity?

Doc Highwall
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
robroy, mine is a four cavity.

SwedeNelson
09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
robroy, Doc Highwall

I have found that temp. is a big factor in this mould.
780 to 820 and lightly smoke the cavities.
Have had no luck at all with any of the mould prep's
of any type. Clean cavities, lightly smoked and hot lead.

This one is a bear, but I have got some very good bullet
out of it. Again my melt is just wheel weights.

If you cant get a handle on them send-em back and we will
see what we can do or get you out a new one.

Swede Nelson

blaser.306
09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I also bought a 5 cavity 7mm , and althou it took a couple of setions casting with it ( to learn what it liked ) I now find it as easy as any other mould to run with . I start off fairly hot then reduce my melt temp , acording to the lee drip o matic guage anyway and the mould just makes beautifull Boolits that fall from the mould like they were already greased . Thanks agai Al and crew for another great mould !!!

robroy
09-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I did yurn up the Lee 10 lb Dripomatic up as high as the dial would let me. I even checked the resistance in the heating coil to see if it was actually 500 watts (it is). I'll get a thermometer and see what the temp is when turned up full tilt and try again. Sweede, thanks for the offer and I hope I don't have to take you up on it.

robroy
09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Yep Zink. I turened the pot down to cast some in my ranchdog 360190 mould and found myself looking at OATMEAL, I'm going to smelt a new batch and see if the results are better.

robroy
09-11-2010, 10:56 PM
The WW I made into ingots this afternoon just filled out the RanchDog mould quite nicely thank you very much. I'll cast some of the 7mm tomorrow and see what happens.

ihmsakiwi
09-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Hi All,

Not sure if this will work, But just loaded up some of the new 7mm boolits for a IHMSA shoot next weekend. I will keep you posted. That is a 7mm BR case with the RCBS boolit to the left and the new 7mm to the right.
The case to the far right is a 7MM Super mag which is the 357Super mag case necked dowm to 7mm. As you can see with almost no neck I can't see a cast boolit in its future any time soon. Peter.

Oh wow........my hundreth post!!

http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/drulov/boolit/

SwedeNelson
09-12-2010, 10:40 AM
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/drulov/boolit/7mmboolit007.jpg

cbrick
09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Yep Zink. I turened the pot down to cast some in my ranchdog 360190 mould and found myself looking at OATMEAL, I'm going to smelt a new batch and see if the results are better.

Hhmmm . . . Silvery, lumpy oatmeal?

Odds are good that isn't zinc but rather your antimony (Sb). Try some sawdust flux and see how easily it reduces back into your melt.

Sb melts at a much higher temp than Pb and can "freeze" out much easier when you turned the temp down. ie, it will be the first to go under liquidus temp and form the oatmeal you describe. Flux it back in rather than waste it.

Rick

ihmsakiwi
09-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Love the look of this bullet and will not get to shoot any until next Friday at the South Island IHMSA champs. Hopefully my 7BR XP100 likes them as there is somrething very satisfying about dropping a whole banks worth of boolits at a go.
What I did notice is the gas checks are loose on the shank. They crimp up OK but I am not used to gas checks being so loose. What I can do?

Blammer
09-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I just finished coming back from a Silly wet shoot.

used my 7-30 waters TC super 14 with scope. Used the flop for the first time.

I was AMAZED at how well this boolit did!

When I hit the rams, even on a marginal hit (of the two or three that I dropped) they went down easily!
The few turkeys I hit also went down even on marginal hits.
Pigs just lept off the stand and chickens were flying!

my score was 14, I'm happy with that as it's my first score for that position and the first time shooting that gun at that distance and first time shooting my new 7mmhunter boolit. So lots of firsts here.

I was AMAZED at the lack of bullet drop on the rams! I am zeroed for 100 meters and have to hold on the back of the ram to hit in the body.

I like it!

Doc Highwall
09-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Blammer, what did you use for a load I have the same barrel and mould. I am going to try it in my 7mm BR first both rifle and pistol.

Blammer
09-19-2010, 09:10 AM
30gr of IMR4895 is what I used.

Blammer
09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Just finished looking over my TC super 14 7-30Waters, that I shot 45 rounds with at the sillywet match.

Looked through the brl, looked shiny and clean.
Ran a patch through it, it came out a bit dirty, powder fouling and all, but NO leading, none. :D

Oh YEA! I've got a winner!

cbrick
09-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Which category did you shoot it in? Unlimited Standing? Freestyle anysight?

Fun ain't it? Also very addictive.

Rick

Blammer
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I shot the category they put down after I shot. I have no idea.

:)

UAS I think?

cbrick
09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Where you shooting standing up or laying down?

Rick

Wayne S
09-19-2010, 09:41 PM
BLAMMER, & CBRICK
"flop" ie, laying on ones belly and useing a scope is Unlimited Any Sight UAS

Blammer
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks wayne S, I'm finally figuring out what category I'm shooting in! After I've shot it a few times. :)

with my 7 30 waters I'm shooing UAS.

with my 44mag I'm shooting US.

ihmsakiwi
09-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Any one else got undersized gas check shanks?

Blammer
09-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I have several moulds that the GC's won't stay on when you just try to snap or put them on, but after crimping they are just fine, can't get them off if you wanted to.

I'd check to make sure you have sharp corners on the base of the boolit, could be a fill out problem. If they size on and stay I'd not worry about it.

do you or can you post a pic of the boolits?

cbrick
09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
BLAMMER, & CBRICK "flop" ie, laying on ones belly and useing a scope is Unlimited Any Sight UAS

Thanks wayne S, I'm finally figuring out what category I'm shooting in! After I've shot it a few times. with my 7 30 waters I'm shooing UAS. with my 44mag I'm shooting US.

I only asked because he sounded unsure of which category it was.

Belly? Hhmmm . . . Out here we shoot like men and lay on our backs in the Creedmoore position. Either way it's a Freestyle position.

Rick

ihmsakiwi
09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I only asked because he sounded unsure of which category it was.

Belly? Hhmmm . . . Out here we shoot like men and lay on our backs in the Creedmoore position. Either way it's a Freestyle position.

Rick

"the Flop"...Is this a new phenomineom(?). I have seen pics of the IHMSA early days with pistolshooters assuming this postion, but it seemed to be a passing fad with Creedmore taking over and for the "loose at the hips" maybe a few dead-frog.
What is the advantage over the Creedmore position.
I am shooting in our South Island IHMSA champs this weekend and I might just start this "new" fad down-under!!

Blammer
09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Well I shot a 37 on my last go round with the "flop" position. Would have been 39 if I hadn't shot the second pig FIRST! DOH!
So shooting like a man eh? you that good too? :)
My legs just don't bend right for the Creedmore position.

cbrick
09-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Well I shot a 37 on my last go round with the "flop" position. Would have been 39 if I hadn't shot the second pig FIRST! DOH!
So shooting like a man eh? you that good too? :)
My legs just don't bend right for the Creedmore position.

So you shot out of order, sure glad I've never done that. :-( Yeah, right.

Too bad you weren't shooting an NRA match instead of IHMSA, in NRA they only count the wrong target as a miss, you still get the other target, assuming you hit it.

That good? Well, not anymore, not since I went legally blind and had eye surgery. Just can't see well enough anymore to compete at the top.

http://www.lasc.us/deprimetriste294230fr.gif

In the past I've won NRA National and State Championships in Revolver, Production, Unlimited & Unlimited 1/2 scale. It's still fun though and I still keep plugging away. The best of all was a California State Championship, some of the very best revolver shooters from several states were there. Every single one of them were shooting the very best full length gas check money could buy. My cast boolits beat every one of them with a 60x60. What a great day for me and cast boolits.

Well, this thread is now officially hijacked. :hijack:

Rick

Blammer
09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Way to go!

ihmsakiwi
09-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Love the look of this bullet and will not get to shoot any until next Friday at the South Island IHMSA champs. Hopefully my 7BR XP100 likes them as there is somrething very satisfying about dropping a whole banks worth of boolits at a go.
What I did notice is the gas checks are loose on the shank. They crimp up OK but I am not used to gas checks being so loose. What I can do?

yip,
This molds a keeper.

I shot 37 with the 7BR (two rams stood, just like they did at this range last year) and missed one turkey. I got to shoot the Hunter projectiles at the 200 yd swinger and two hits were about 1 and a half inches apart and another two shots took the group out to five inches. Unscoped and in the Creedmore position.(four shot group only)
I shot one round at the 50/100/175 yd swingers and they were all very close to my RCBS145gr hits for sighting shots.
I am a happy camper, and will now shoot this round in the next two or three competitions to judge its capabilities. We are shooting half size matches next month so that will be the vinegar test. Peter

Blammer
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Woa! That's awesome shooting!

I'm super stoked on my load too. Deer season will start soon and I'm going to take this out and definitely try to wack a deer with it!

Wayne S
09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Peter,
some old school thinking, If you plan to cast any before the 1/2 match's, I'ld suggest putting a very small notch; {onejust able to see} on the seam on the nose, use it to seperate this cavity from the rest, then mark the seam with a majic marker, then use that mark as an index when you load. Like I said, "old school"

ihmsakiwi
09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Peter,
some old school thinking, If you plan to cast any before the 1/2 match's, I'ld suggest putting a very small notch; {onejust able to see} on the seam on the nose, use it to seperate this cavity from the rest, then mark the seam with a majic marker, then use that mark as an index when you load. Like I said, "old school"

Hi Wayne,
Sorry, I am not sure what this achieves? Please enlighten me. Peter.

Blammer
09-29-2010, 08:08 AM
what it does is allow you to sort your bullets according to the cavity they came from.

Several shutzen shooters do this because they believe they get more consistency. If all the bullets are made from one cavity they should all be the same or closer to the same than from different cavities.

then that bullet with the mark on the nose, if you load it in the chamber with that mark facing the same way each time, you will get more consistent and better accuracy, because the bullet will be aligned the same each time.

A long time ago (forget who) a man did a test with deformed bullets. He deformed them all the same way and loaded them all the same way and could get them all to group together. If he loaded them randomly (meaning not all entering the chamber the same way) he got a pattern.

Doc Highwall
09-29-2010, 01:16 PM
That would be Dr Franklin W. Mann in his book The Bullets Flight.

ihmsakiwi
10-27-2010, 02:30 AM
I have loaded a couple of hundred 7MM BR rounds to use in lieu of the RCBS 145gr I usually use to shoot in our National Champs in two weeks time. Big gamble!!
I have fired about twenty in anger at the four target distances during the last couple of matches ( with the R.O.'s permission) and POI seems similiar.
I will report back in due course. Peter

SwedeNelson
10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Started to work on loads for this bullet in a 7-30 Waters contender.
Cast with a 4 cavity mould today and was very happy with the out come.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/inspreportGB046.jpg
After I got the temp right it took no time to run out 200 bullets to start with.
Kind of blows the old theory that you cant get consistent bullets out of multiple cavity mould.
Now to get a good load going. Starting with 17Gr. H4198 and see.
Have any others been down this road yet - what are you shooting?

This is to much fun!
Swede Nelson

SwedeNelson
11-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Got out to the range today.
38deg. with 15 mph wind chill.
Did get 50 rounds (7-30 Waters) fire formed.
When I could keep from shaking it shot very well.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/7-30waterstarget.jpg
14" Contender 4 power scope 15 rounds.
25 yards with a rolled up jacket for a rest. All over the place.

Hope to have some time to start working on a load.

Swede Nelson

ammohead
11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Swede

Has anyone posted results chambering this in a model 94 win in 7-30 waters? It looks like it will either be too long or set into powder space. Either way I am interested in obtaining one to try. I would also like to try it in my Savage 99 in 284 win. Are you currently stocking these moulds? Can I order one?

ammohead

Blammer
11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I havn't heard of anyone trying one in the Lever gun.

yes he has a few in stock for the moment. :)

ihmsakiwi
11-14-2010, 03:14 AM
I have loaded a couple of hundred 7MM BR rounds to use in lieu of the RCBS 145gr I usually use to shoot in our National Champs in two weeks time. Big gamble!!
I have fired about twenty in anger at the four target distances during the last couple of matches ( with the R.O.'s permission) and POI seems similiar.
I will report back in due course. Peter

Well shot two 40 round IHMSA matches over this weekend and scored 39/40 twice.
Both misses my fault with one prematurely going off prior to target aquisition ( read finger on trigger (2oz) prior to having final sight aquisition and the other simply poor vision at trigger time!!
This boolit is every bit as accurate as the RCBS 145gr in my XP 7mmBR.
Load; 28gr VV140, Remington 7mmBR brass, Fed SR primer. I have never chrono'd this load but it has served me well for years.
I may play with appllying Lee Snot on the noses with a Q Tip as I see others are doing this with bore-ridders. Can't hurt. Peter.

Blammer
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Outstanding!

How do you think W 140 will work in 7-30 waters with this boolit?

Wayne S
11-14-2010, 09:22 PM
BLAMMER,
I think Peter is talking about V V N 140 ? and it's burning rate is on the slow side for 150 cast in 14" bbl's ???

Peter, it might not hurt if you apply the LLA AFTER you seat the bullets in the case, AND cut it about 1 to 1 with mineral sperits, check all the recipes in the "LUBE" section

ihmsakiwi
11-15-2010, 02:46 AM
BLAMMER,
I think Peter is talking about V V N 140 ? and it's burning rate is on the slow side for 150 cast in 14" bbl's ???

Peter, it might not hurt if you apply the LLA AFTER you seat the bullets in the case, AND cut it about 1 to 1 with mineral sperits, check all the recipes in the "LUBE" section

Yes, correct. I use V V 140 NOT Winchester 140.

And yes, I currently use the Lee Snot on my 32 H&R 308 Cal 165gr RCBS load for BB standing. Does a great job with never a hint of leading. Again I haven't chrono'd this load of 9.2 of ADI 2205 (H4227) either, but it is soooo slow to get to the 200 metre mark I suspect it is near sub-sonic. I must get around to chronographing all my standard IHMSA loads at some stage.

Blammer
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
well that was my double vee there for the 140. :)

seppos
11-16-2010, 03:14 AM
As the 7mm has worked so well, I wonder... would it be possible to have 6mm version with the same profile..?

S

ihmsakiwi
11-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Anyone bloodied one of these yet on an animal?
I might get out for an evening stalk after a deer later this week. I have some loaded to bench shoot in my Tikka T3 7mm 08, but if a deer is stupid enough to get in my way I will try one out.

Blammer
11-22-2010, 06:52 PM
no luck so far...

Nrut
06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Anyone bloodied one of these yet on an animal?
I might get out for an evening stalk after a deer later this week. I have some loaded to bench shoot in my Tikka T3 7mm 08, but if a deer is stupid enough to get in my way I will try one out.
How did this boolit work for you in your 708?
Did you manage to connect with a deer yet ?
Anybody else using this boolit on a 708?
Thx.