PDA

View Full Version : j-word question

cowboyt
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Hope I don't raise anyones ire by this question, I'm shooting an 98 mauser rechamberd to 8mm-06 without an lengthend magazine box- I just rec'd some prv
196 gr btfmj bullets and found that if I seat to the crimp groove they are too long for the magazine, although just one in the mag will feed ok- If I seat deep enough to get a 3.00 ol length they will all fit in the mag box but this will put the base of the bullet clear to the base of the case neck ! I have never in 50 years of reloading seated anything that deep! I intend to reduce starting loads by 5% to compensate for the loss of case capasity - I'm using speer data for 200 gr spire point and IMR 3031- any thought will be appreciated

cowboyt

2ndAmendmentNut
07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Barnes bullets are solid copper and are quite long for there weight. This results in bullets seated as deep as you have mentioned in some calibers I load for, but I have not had any issues although I back of 10% and work up slowly. Just my $0.02.

cowboyt
07-22-2010, 01:08 PM
do you back off 10% form starting or max ???

cowboyt

2ndAmendmentNut
07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
10% from Max unless the starting charge is lower, then I simply go with the starting charge. But Like I said that is what I do, so stay safe and take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

cowboyt
07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
thanks 2nd-well taken-I don't do max on anything anyway as I like safe than sorry!! have a good day
cowboyt

runfiverun
07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
in a lot of my loads i start at the base of the neck with the base of my bullet.
the shorter necked stuff like the 308 especially. bullet pull is as important as distance to lands and grooves.
i'd rather have a bullets base even with the end of the neck [but not below it ] thats ideal to me.
often if a bullets base doesn't extend to the base of the neck i'll short size the neck to the bullets base and leave a donut there. [target shooting]

geargnasher
07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
J-words??!! Oh, man! get a rope! :kidding:

Gear

jsizemore
07-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Lots of long heavyweight bullets are seated below the neck shoulder junction. Nothing wrong with it. Start low and work up. Good Luck

Blammer
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Seat them deep and start at the midrange powder choice in the load book, you'll be fine.

AZ-Stew
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Consider that the folks who developed the data for that cartridge and bullet also had deep seated bullets. You can verify this using the listed Cartridge Overall Length (COL) in their published data. If the bullets using that COL are below the case neck, the starting and max charges are valid without reducing the powder charge. The usual warnings about starting low and working up, still apply, but you don't have to start below the starting loads listed if the data developer had his bullets seated as deep as yours are.

Regards,

Stew

leadman
07-24-2010, 03:39 PM
This is something that has been forgotten about the 8mm-06 over the years. I read alot of old gun magazine from the 30's on. The original loads for the converted 8mm X 57 to 8mm-06 without the magazine box lengthened used roundnose bullets. Roundnose are generally shorter for the same weight as a spire point.

I would reduce loads by at least 5%, maybe 10%. Depends on the powder you are using. If using H4895 I would reduce 10%. Hodgdon says you can reduce the max charge of H4895 by 60% with no problems.

Larry Gibson
07-24-2010, 06:53 PM
cowboyt

Most of those 8mm06 rechamberings were done with the standard length M98s with 3.3" magazines. The shorter M98 action with the 3" mag is not really a good candidate as you've discovered. You might mention what action you have and post in the WTB forum for an unrechambered take off barrel to replace the barrel you have. That is if you want to take advantage of the magazine with the longer bullets. However, in the future 125 or 150 gr bullets may work better with the barrel you have.

Larry Gibson