PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 09-124-RN-TG seating depth?

JScott
07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Anybody that is casting with this mold that can tell me what cartridge overall length is working for you in 9mm Luger? I just received mine and cast a few bullets tonight. I am impressed that both cavities are dropping at about .359 which gives me a lot of flexibility in sizing. This bullet seems to have a short sharply tapered nose so if I seat all the way to the shoulder, as I usually do with auto pistol rounds, my OAL is only about 1.030. This seems short to me. Thanks in advance.

chris in va
07-21-2010, 11:33 PM
You'll need to do two things first. Slug your barrel, then size .002 over that diameter. Then make a dummy round to find how long you can set OAL before it hits the rifling or chamber leade (if I got that term correct).

My CZ won't chamber a 358 until it's down to 1.01, but works great provided I use a starting charge.

Guesser
07-22-2010, 08:33 AM
I have an Ohaus mold(pre RCBS) for the 124 gr. RN. In all the 9MM semi auto hand guns I loaded for over the years I found the magazine to be the limiting factor when it came to cartridge length and feeding. Every 9MM I've been around had a chamber that was longer than the magazine, so I load for the magazine and everything else follows along behind. Bullet diameter is another factor to be considered but all of my 9MM barrels were very forgiving of diameter.

winelover
07-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Anybody that is casting with this mold that can tell me what cartridge overall length is working for you in 9mm Luger? I just received mine and cast a few bullets tonight. I am impressed that both cavities are dropping at about .359 which gives me a lot of flexibility in sizing. This bullet seems to have a short sharply tapered nose so if I seat all the way to the shoulder, as I usually do with auto pistol rounds, my OAL is only about 1.030. This seems short to me. Thanks in advance.

I seat the RCBS 124RN to 1.100 in my Browning HP, short seating increases pressures exponentially! Check some factory 9mm rounds and you will find most are very close to this OAL. Corbon's 115 HP is the exception, (1.030) and it will not feed at all in my HP.

Winelover:lovebooli

JScott
07-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I generally load to 1.140 with regular jacket roundnoses in this Hi-Power. This particular bullet is different than many other cast roundnoses in that it has a longer shank and a sharply defined shoulder and then a sharp taper to the nose rather than a more rounded ogive. If I load to 1.100 I will have a fair amount of the bullet "shank" out of the case.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=136309