PDA

View Full Version : Tried some "lever" loads in the Smith ...

Jack Stanley
07-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I've been working at using up all the odd lots of forty-four bullets I've had laying around . Current slug of the day is a LBT two-fifty flat nose with gas check and fifty-fifty alox ( forgive me Veral ) The slugs were sized at .433" for a large groove Marlin and the load for that was mild enough I thought I could chance it in the big ol' Smith .

Bullets weigh in at two-fifty , size at .433" have a Hornady gas check and Alox in the grooves . Cases are R-P and I don't know how many times fired they are , less than twenty more than five I'd say . Primers are WLP , I switched out from the CCI 350 and most of my "problems" went away .Powder is fourteen point five grains of Blue Dot from a jug I bought from Pat McDonald years ago . OAL is 1.595" with a medium stiff crimp . It feeds good in two carbines and the one Smith I tried it in .

Didn't try it on paper but the armour steel plate at twenty-seven yards was catching it pretty hard today . I have anoth hundred sixty or so to use up and then I'll move on to the "wadcutter box" I found . It has some old H&G 107B bullets and some hollow base swaged bullets I made years ago .

On top of all this my Dillon powder measure went in for repair after only a quarter million or so rounds through it :lol:So I have loading stages clamped where ever I have an open bench .

Jack

44man
07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
The WLP is still too much. Go to a Fed 150 instead.

Jack Stanley
07-23-2010, 09:39 PM
44Man , what would the federal primers do for me that the Winchesters aren't ? Better accuracy ?

Thanks , Jack

runfiverun
07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
lower the pressure rise to more of a curve rather than a spike.