PDA

View Full Version : ML pistol stand

07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
The Kit Room is getting quiet.

I built this el cheapo ML pistol from a kit about 35 years ago. I shot it very little then put it away. About a year ago decided to pull it out, refinish and shoot it. Just one range session reminded me how clumsy these pistols are to clean and load. After that session I spent a couple of hours throwing this stand together. Didn't even worry about correct cabinet joinery. Have used the stand ever since and woweee!.... so much easier to live with now. The stand is very stable on the bench and holds the pistol securely for cleaning and loading.

Sprue
07-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Good job looks nice, you going to put a finish on it?

Reminds me of my high school yrs. My (cough) friend had one and I watched him fire it a couple times, then he loaded it up again and said here, try it out! After I fired it, it drew blood. My :takinWiz: friend was just laughing as he told me he overloaded it.

I haven't fired one since, that was back about '69 or '70

Yeah, about the stand, I made mine too (rifle & pistol).

Rog

07-31-2010, 03:35 PM
On the pistol finish. The photo may not show it but it is refinished. Nothing fancy- just needed to clean up some sand cast spots still showing on the brass and some worn barrel blue. Took the wood down to even metal fit with sandpaper and block. Re-polished the brass. Applied a couple of coats of Tru Oil to the wood. Since I started shooting it again the accuracy has been unreal. .440" RB with ticking patch over 25 gr FFg. From a rest at 15 yards, groups one round hole about 1" diameter! It was the cheapest kit I could find back in the early 70s- about $40 I think. Ultra Hi by Miroku.

frankenfab
07-31-2010, 07:33 PM
That is really neat. I have always wanted a modern inline type muzzle loading pistol myself. I have one of the 1858 Remington copies, and man is it a pain like you were saying.

That Tue Oil is some good stuff. You dun good!

waksupi
07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
On our range we found that people using these tended to kneel on the ground to use them, and so ended up loading with their body directly over the muzzle. Ours is a primitive shoot range, so there are no benches.
We outlawed the practice, and attached a couple small platforms to some handy trees to eliminate the perceived need to use them like that on the range. Anyone using them to load on the ground, are disqualified from competition.
Safety first!

Anyone who purposely overloads ANY gun, and gives to someone else to shoot, may as well get their self a Nancy Pelosi bumper sticker. After all, you may have well just turned someone against firearms, or caused injury.

Tom-ADC
07-31-2010, 08:42 PM
405 nice work!!
I made one for cap & ball revolvers from a set of plans.
I can email these to anyone just send a PM with your email address.
The piece at the top is removable for loading its also a display stand.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/379694812.jpg

07-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Tom-ADC,
That is a very nice stand, even has finished edges! I like the oak and the box is classic. I literally threw mine together with deck screws and and scrap wood. While fitting, measuring and cutting, in addition to the ML pistol I pulled out a Colt 51 and Rem 58 to make sure the C&Bs would also be held stable when loading and cleaning. Very handy items I'd gone without for too long. Waksupi, yes, muzzle control is hard enough with long MLs but nearly impossible while fumbling around with C&B or ML pistols.

Tom-ADC
07-31-2010, 09:15 PM
405, mine fits everything except my Walker, but when I made this one I made a mock up, so when I found out the walker was to big I twikked the mock up so the Walker fits.
If you have a bench to work from, I find these are very safe to use..
Box holds balls & caps.

Tom-ADC
08-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's another view this is with a 1858 Remington. The plans will say for Ruger but I've had my Remingtons both .36 & 44 cal. plus my 1851 Colts all fit well.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/18168454/379694904.jpg