PDA

View Full Version : older 336 question

danski26
08-25-2006, 12:58 AM
I have an older 336 carbine. It does not have the cross-bolt safety on it. Not sure if it is micro-groove rifling but i lean towards negative on that.

Is this any more desirable than a brand new one? I'm thinking of putting it up for trades and wondering if it's worth the effort.

NVcurmudgeon
08-25-2006, 02:44 PM
I work both sides of the street regarding Marlin crossbolt safeties. I never use the crossbolt in normal use, prefering the traditional half-cock. OTOH, the crossbolt gives me a feeling of safety and security when unloading the rifle.

onceabull
08-25-2006, 03:00 PM
danski26: There are millions of 336 carbines with Microgroove and no crossbolt safety still in service especially in 30/30. If yours is 35 R or 32 Sp. value is some more. Pre-microgroove usually bringing a tad more ,if equiv.condition,& same comment on calibers. All the above IMO,only. [smilie=1: Onceabull

felix
08-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I like the crossbolt safety, especially since my 60th birthday. Yes, I have had a close call not too long ago, and the safety was on. Thank goodness. Saved me from patching a hole in my car (trashwagon). ... felix

woody1
08-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I have an older 336 carbine. It does not have the cross-bolt safety on it. Not sure if it is micro-groove rifling but i lean towards negative on that.

Is this any more desirable than a brand new one? I'm thinking of putting it up for trades and wondering if it's worth the effort.
If it's microgroove it will say so on the barrel. Regards, Woody

NickSS
08-29-2006, 05:46 AM
As Woody says it plainly is marked on the barrel if it is a microgroove barrel. I have a bunch of 336 rifles with and without microgrouves in several different calibers. My favorite for hunting is an old 30-30 336 SC carbine that has a 2/3 length magazine and old style rifleling and the reciever is not drilled and taped for a scope. I have a reciever sight on it and have used it for years for deer and small game hunting. I bought it used over 40 years ago and it is still going strong. I mostly shoot cast bullets in it these days.

PatMarlin
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't mind the cross bolt safety on Marlins because they give you the choice of traditional half-cock in which I say HOORAY for Marlin! Traditional half-cock for hunting, and crossbolt for extra protection when you want to use it.

What really sucks IMO is my Winchester 94's cross bolt safety that they chose INSTEAD of the traditional half-cock. I don't like it one bit.

All Marlins are GOOD... :bigsmyl2: