PDA

View Full Version : How would one increase the medplat size of a mould?

BOOM BOOM
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi,
how would one go about increasing the medplat size of a mold to increase the bullets effectiveness in hunting. Finances dictate no new purchases.

Edubya
07-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi,
how would one go about increasing the medplat size of a mold to increase the bullets effectiveness in hunting. Finances dictate no new purchases.

HP them.

EW

PS; What caliber and weight are you looking for? Maybe I could trade you some boolits are just boolits for lead.

MtGun44
07-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Softpointing costs nothing but work. Search on methods of casting soft lead forward portion, next is a single cav HP by Buckshot for IIRC $30. After that Eric at Hollowpoint Mold
Service is very high quality Cramer style HP.

Increasing meplat may upset the boolit design, could cause problems. Understand that
actually changing the mold might make you happy or unhappy and is irreversible. Better to soft pt, hollow pt
or trade on a diff design.

Bill

BOOM BOOM
07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
HI,
HP WOULD BE EASY, just use a hp drill jig on a case trimmer. Sinclair, Lachmiller & others make them. GOOD IDEA.
ALZHEIMER ATTACK . I bought 1 for that couple of yrs. ago, & it slipped my mind.[smilie=s:

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 06:30 PM
HI,
TAKE A LOOK AT CATSHOOTER'S NEW POST!
The plug is a way to increase the medplat. SWEAT!
I had thought about using a end mill on a milling machine indexed w/ a DRO depth gauge & centered to make the new medplat.:Fire::Fire:

Catshooter
07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Hope that helps BB.

Cat

BOOM BOOM
07-26-2010, 11:45 PM
HI,
I will discuss, & think about it before I do it. But it looks like a good alternative route to the one I had thought of originally.
Another route I thought of was a drill bit w/ the point ground flat.

Catshooter
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I would definatley use an end mill, not a twist drill. A twist drill is a "roughing" tool. I doesn't make round holes, they look round but are not. The flat they would make could easliy be out of round and that'd give you a funny looking out-of -balance boolit.

Cat

BOOM BOOM
07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
HI,
CAT - THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! There is 1 mistake I now do not have to make!

Southron Sanders
08-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I really don't see much of an advantage regarding hunting for an increase in the mepat of your current bullet, if nothing else, an increased mepat might increase the drag of your bullet and down range velocity).

If you have good bullet placement in the critter you shoot, mepat shouldn't be much of a consideration anyway.

Last but not least, increasing the mepat of your mould might actually degrade accuracy of the bullets it produces. I have milled moulds down to increase their mepat and sometimes accuracy remains the same and other times I have had to throw the mould away because it cast bullets that produced lousy groups and keyholes in the target.

BOOM BOOM
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
HI,
GOOD POINT , S.Sanders- something i will defiantly consider before proceeding.