PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to take 2nd place.

Freightman
07-21-2010, 01:20 PM
We have a military match every month and that is the question as one man always wins first, doesn't matter what he brings. He has won with a Mosin Nagant 91/30, a M39, 03, 03A3, Mauser, and a M99 Arasaka. Goes to prove "aint the equipment but the operator."

looseprojectile
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
The best prepared shooter most always wins.
Same thing here. One old shooter always won at what we call the Old Soldier match at 200 yards. Then one day I showed up with a wonderfully accurate Swede Semi auto 6.5X55 and out shot him. One good day. Only once.
Get a good load and practice.
My problem is I have so many different guns I can't find the time or ambition to do justice to any one individual gun. If a man could devote the necessary time and effort to one gun till it worked perfectly he would be the one every one else would be trying to beat.
I like the quote "An amateur practices till he gets it right, a professional practices till he can't get it wrong".

Life is good

shooterg
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Curious - what formats are used in y'alls various "military rifle matches" ? Cast bullets only ?

RU shooter
07-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Oh how true! I see this also on a monthly basis at our CMP style matches Lots of guys show up with a 1K or better AR or M1A rifle with NM this and that ,Match ammo ect ect. and cant hold the 8 ring on slow prone !!!! feel kinda bad for some of then as they probably got talked into that expensive rig by another guy that cant do any better or from the internet"experts" If your fundamentals are solid you can shoot anything with sights well regardless the weapon.Most can learn to shoot well but dont want to invest the time or effort to practice to achieve that level .

Tim

looseprojectile
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Years ago they had a rule that there could be no lead showing at the bullet nose.
That meant that I used 168 grain HPBT exclusively in the .30 calibers. In the 6.5X55 I used the then available Swede hardball. Excellent accuracy. Like two inches at two hundred. I would like to hope that now the rules would allow boolits.
I haven't shot that venue for years. Since then I am shooting boolits cause they are cheap and good.

Life is good

Freightman
07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Well no AR's or 22 cal allowed. 100yds, 10 slow (10 min.) limit, 10 fast in a 1 1/2 min., 10 slow (10min) you can use any ammo you want I only use cast as it is just for fun but some are using $2 apiece bullets. I do not get to shoot very much as Saturday morning is a busy family time around the house. But I do have fun and there is only $5 involved, 1/2 goes to the club 2/3 of what is left to the first place an1/3 to the second place, so there isn't much cash if you win every month. All rifles are to be as issued no bedding trigger work exc. and no replicas has to be a military rifle period.

mike in co
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
i particpate in two ,ocassionaly three, types of mil matches.

one:( i run, stole ot from the ok boys) mil bolt action benchrest...100 yds, off the bench, stock guns plus trigger work on oem triggers, freefloat/pressure point on teh stock( no bedding). 50 rds in 5 strings of 10, first 2 for group, second 3 for score. all the bench equiptment you want, stock guns, any ammo.
two: 200 yd mil match. club run fun match, any issued mil rifle, less sniper/training and target versions. two ten shot strings as directed...bench , prone/standing/sitting, under the bench, bench with no additional equiptment. every ohter month..all fun.

( once a year bot of these disciplines have an "outlaw sniper match".....same guns but with up to a 4x scope)

third is cmp/dcm type matches, reduced course either 100 or 200 yds.

we allow ar's in the second two but they shoot against themselves, not the vintage stuff.

mike in co

218bee
07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Funny my gunsmith tells me all my guns have a "loose screw" behind the trigger.

Reminds me of an old timer that showed up at a 500 bird trap shoot with some fairly nice cash prizes. Many high tech shotguns and shooters were there. Well this old boy pulls up in his coveralls and pulls his Rem 870 out of the trunk and goes to the line. He missed the 398 bird and ran the rest...collected his money..threw his 870 in the trunk and away he went.