PDA

View Full Version : mold release agent ?

bsmith
07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I now use Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent on my molds which is a little costly is there a alternative to that ?

Blammer
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
wooden matches, a butane lighter or a really really clean mould

theperfessor
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
A good mold does not need any release agent to work properly. A little polishing to smooth out the cavities and remove any burrs should be all that's needed. I never smoke my molds but some people do and say it helps. See some of the stickies here on Leementing and mold lapping for details.

MtGun44
07-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Smoking is mostly a waste of time. Clean and remove burrs with Comet and a toothbrush,
and if more is needed,
polishing with a boolit as a lap and ultra fine abrasive can really fix things up.

Like Prof said - search on Leementing.

Bill

Bret4207
07-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Listen to Bill and Keith. You don't want anything in the mould except heat and molten alloy.

montana_charlie
07-22-2010, 12:18 PM
If you order a mould from a maker in Canada, and if he chooses UPS as the carrier, UPS will (for a fee) shepherd your package through Canadian and American Customs to get it past the border.

I have always had moulds shipped from Canada through the postal system, and no special handling is needed.
But having UPS act as my 'agent' to get Customs to 'release' the package containing my new 'mould'...is the only kind of 'mould release agent' I can ever imagine having a need for.

CM

dragonrider
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
As said above, a properly cleaned, deburred and lapped mold needs nothing else.

bsmith
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
thanks for the input, tryed my 6 cavity mold with nothing on it and it worked great.
Thanks again, i'm really getting into casting everyone i show loves it i think it takes you to another time when things were a little simpler and doing something i enjoy.

MtGun44
07-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Plus you control the boolit totally. You can make it exactly what
you want and need. AND cheap.

Welcome and enjoy.

Bill