PDA

View Full Version : 1909 Mauser Peru

giz189
07-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Well, finally after all this time I melted up some boolits and tried out this old rifle. It has been rechambered to .30-06 and then the people who had it done, could not get it to shoot. Wonder why? Ordered the 314299 mould sized to .3130 to .3135 and 30 grains of IMR 3031, on my first try I was able to keep 5 out of 6 shots in the head area of a standard B27 sillywet target at 100 yards, even if you cant see those front sights worth a dang. I was tickled as the Old Man who had it, just gave it to me. I was surprised to get that accuracy on the first try.:bigsmyl2:

Hardcast416taylor
07-21-2010, 11:36 AM
A friend (Yes I do have a friend) has one of thes`09 mausers in .30-06. I made up a hunting load for it with Nosler 180 gr. Ballistic tip bullets. I used 2 gr. under max of IMR-4350 in Win. brass with Win. primers. Seated as far out of the case as would feed in the magazine. This load makes a single hole 3 shot group at 100 yds. consistently.Robert

giz189
07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
A friend (Yes I do have a friend) has one of thes`09 mausers in .30-06. I made up a hunting load for it with Nosler 180 gr. Ballistic tip bullets. I used 2 gr. under max of IMR-4350 in Win. brass with Win. primers. Seated as far out of the case as would feed in the magazine. This load makes a single hole 3 shot group at 100 yds. consistently.Robert Sounds good, I will have to give that a try.

Multigunner
07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Some South American conversions used the original 7.65 barrel with .314 or larger bore while others used a newly made barrel with .308 dia bore.

Those with the 7.65 bore can be made to shoot very well if the Hornady .312 J-Word bullets are used, or as the OP has said a properly sized cast boolit.

Don't know the origin of the 1909 conversion barrels but some South American conversions used barrels made on US WW2 surplus barrel making machinery, or surplus barrel blanks.

When using a larger diameter bullet its best to be sure the neck of the chamber won't be too tight with the larger bullet seated in the case neck.
I've read warnings many years ago that some 6.5 remington Magnum rifles were damaged when salvaged surplus Carcano .268 bullets were used in handloads.

A bullet can begin to bump up before it leaves the case neck. If it does this greatly increases pull strength on the bullet, resulting in excessive pressures.

A chamber neck thats normally large enough can become constricted by hardened fouling, so a through cleaning of the chamber should be the first step.
When carbon fouling is mixed with atomised lead blown from the open base of FMJ bullets it can set up into a hard slick surface that looks like the barrel steel.
I've had to clean this sort of deposit away with a brass scrapper made from tubing after solvents and chamber brushes had no effect.

Guesser
07-25-2010, 09:34 AM
A question: Has the magazine box been lengthened in the Peruvian?
I have a 1909 Peruvian contract Oberndorf, it had been nicely sporterized and rebarreled to 308 using a Remington 721, 30-06 barrel, shortened at breech to 308. It was shot out and pitted badly when I got it. In measuring trying to determine origin is when I discovered that it is categorized as a "Intermediate Length" due to short magazine box for the 7.65X53 round. Since it had already been modified, except the magazine, I rebarreled to 7MM-08, makes a fine 20" carbine. Did Peru use the longer cartridge or has your magazine been modified?

giz189
07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
A question: Has the magazine box been lengthened in the Peruvian?
I have a 1909 Peruvian contract Oberndorf, it had been nicely sporterized and rebarreled to 308 using a Remington 721, 30-06 barrel, shortened at breech to 308. It was shot out and pitted badly when I got it. In measuring trying to determine origin is when I discovered that it is categorized as a "Intermediate Length" due to short magazine box for the 7.65X53 round. Since it had already been modified, except the magazine, I rebarreled to 7MM-08, makes a fine 20" carbine. Did Peru use the longer cartridge or has your magazine been modified?Guesser, my magazine box does not appear to have been modified. As far as I can tell, it is original except for the chambering. I wish I could find a bayonet for it.:redneck:

Guesser
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
giz189: the reason I ask is because I had thought to rebarrel mine to 7MM Mauser, but the magazine wasn't long enough. I tried 7.65X53 ammo and it fit perfectly by original milspec measurements. Thats why I stayed with the '08 case but went 7MM. Gave me wiggle room for cartridge length experiments. Surprising what 2MM can accomplish.

MtGun44
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I recently acquired a Peruvian that had been rechambered, it has a ".30" stamped on it,
so I tried to chamber a .308 round. Mistake. Had great difficulty extracting the round.
Eventually cast the chamber and found out that it was .30-06, but the bore slugs for
the original 7.65 diam. I have not yet fired it but will try some of the .311 Hornady jbullets
and see how they manage. Cast should be very doable.

Bill