PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye Age difference

nukehayes
07-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if Hercules has changed their formula for bullseye since, oh about 1980? You see, I bought a can of bullseye (small square tin can with a cool snap top to it) that was sitting on the shelf of my local gunshop and started reloading with it using the starting load listed in my Lee manual. I noticed a lot more kick in my 9mm compared to WWB 115gr factory loads. No signs of overpressure but noticibly more recoil than the factory stuff. (kahr PM9 BTW) is the older stuff more potent? I don't want to have a kaboom. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Piedmont
07-21-2010, 12:48 AM
I believe Ed Harris said the rate of Bullseye had been slightly slowed recently. That said, unless you are just starting handloading now, most of the data is for the older stuff. I wouldn't worry about a kaboom. Your story does make me wonder if the can was unopened. If someone opened it maybe it isn't Bullseye in there.

That square can is real old. I started about 1976 and those cans were gone by then.

TCLouis
07-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Comparing recoil between factory loads and handloads is measing two different animals with at least four different variables.

The small case capacity of the 9mm make boolit length, seating depth, and overall length and their interactions, and the resultant reactions extremely important.

MtGun44
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Not enough difference in the powder to worry about. But as TCLouis said, the 9mm
is a kinda picky caliber. Very small case volume so seating depth changes that would
be unimportant in .38 Spl are much more significant. Deeper = higher pressure.

Bill

Larry Gibson
07-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Alliant has not changed the formula of Hercules Bullseye nor that of 2400. Unique was only changed to make it slightly cleaner burning but the burn rate is the same. That is all from the technicians at Alliant and tests confirm that. Judging burn rate by felt recoil is not conclusive to say the least.

Larry Gibson

casterofboolits
07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I got rid of all my Bullseye fourty years ago after a double charging incident. Mixed two pounds with fireplace sparkles, ran some cannon fuse into it and set it off on the fourth of July. Made one heck of a fountain.

Switched to Unique for every thing. I discovered Blue Dot in the early 80's working up loads for 38 Supers. I was able to achieve IPSC major loads in a standard colt barrel using a Magma 160-RNBB with no pressure signs. No more bulged cases.

I now use Bluedot for all 380, 9mm and 38 Super.