PDA

View Full Version : uberti sharps/ pedersoli barrel... what rear sights fit as is ?

kennisondan
07-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I cannot see the stock barrel sights on the barrel of my 45 2.1 the lowest one is too small for me to see through and the front sight is too large... I have been looking through it and holding it up .. killled several television characters so far .. lol
I think that what I need is a rear with adjustable aperature or replaceable different sized aperatures...
what are the choices in various price ranges..
and most importantly.
what the heck fits the tang..
I have looked at a lot of different sights but it is unclear what will fit without modifications, and what will do the job for hunting, plinking and eventually some competition sillhouettes and maybe more...
if I cannot tell what fits I cannot compare them to each other.
I would like to know at about what price range is the point of diminishing returns ?
Is it that for the longest range one needs a more expensive and more adjustable sight ... and for shorter range like out to 600 or 300 a really sturdy high quality sight can be had .. it just will not adjust to a thousand yards , etc ??
I would not want a sight that is not reliable. I know I will shoot to sillhouette ranges before I shoot to longer ranges.. and know I will shoot a lot at 2 and 300 yards as that is what I have available ..
I have been advised of a couple of possible fronts and rears... I read that the marbles is not but a hunting sight.. not exact enough.. but do not know.. distant thunder, pedesoli, soule, ballard... my head is spinning.. lol...
and I don't know how to tell which ones would fit the thing...
HELP ~~~~~
THANKS.
DK

Tom-ADC
07-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Not fancy but it will get the job done.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Bargain+Bin%3APedersoli+Sigh ts

Freightman
07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.brownells.com/ they should have one and they also list what each sight will fit.

montana_charlie
07-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't know how to tell which ones would fit the thing...
When you look at a tang sight, look first at the base.
Some are fairly short, and the staff pivot is positioned in the middle of the base.
Some bases are long, and the pivot is offset toward one end.

That long base is the style you need, and most of those sights will fit the Sharps and the single-shot Winchesters.
When mounted on a Sharps, the pivot is positioned toward the butt of the gun, and on a Winchester the base is reversed so the pivot is forward of center.
Look for a mounting hole spacing of approximately two and a quarter inches.

On some of them (especially the cheaper sights) one hole is oblong so that the base will fit a Sharps/Winchester...and will also fit those rifles that take the short base.

CM

excess650
07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
For a Sharps, you'll need a base with Sharps hole spacing. For silhouette, a mid-range sight is all you'll need, but for 800-1000 yards, you'll need a long range sight. There are numerous good sights available, but some are better in quality and design than others.

IMO, one of the best sights available is made by Kermit Hoke. Its much like the sight that Mike Stevens made, but is graduated on both sides of the staff, so works for both R/L shooters. IIRC, they have +/- 42 minutes of windage L and R, and an adjustable wear gib. He also provides a multi-aperture eyecup with the sight. You can buy seperate bases for multiple rifles and use the same staff, so can save some $ there.

I think it a mistake to buy a windgauage front sight. They seem to be a bit fragile and are prone to move at inopportune times. A fixed front with level and interchangeable inserts is the way to go. I think the larger globes to be an advantage over the Winchester style.

kennisondan
07-23-2010, 10:46 PM
thanks to everyone so far for each reply
I truly appreciate each one.
dk

John Boy
07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I cannot see the stock barrel sights on the barrel of my 45 2.1
Reverse the base of the vernier so the pivot is towards the top - not on the bottom of the sight. Doing this will raise the height of the ocular (disc)