PDA

View Full Version : Apprehension holstering a condition 1 Glock

ghh3rd
07-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Although I'm getting used to carrying my Glock 27 in condition 1 (cocked with "one in the pipe"), I still cringe a little when I am holstering, as my holster is about at 8-O'Clock behind me (I'm a leftie), and I can't really see it as I'm sliding the gun in.

I love everything about my Glock except for that apprehension when I'm holstering. I was thinking of getting one of those behind the trigger pop out plugs to feel safer when holsering (flame on?).

Any thoughts?

Jeff Davis
07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
To me, the trigger block is something you need to avoid at all cost.

It will provide a FALSE sense of security to you that could lead to an accidental discharge.

You will still have to practice with the block in place and learn how to pop it out to engage the trigger. My concern is in a stressful situation one's manual dexterity can take a dump and fail to properly coordinate a draw / trigger block remove / shot fired at acquired target. Again, accidental discharge is a real possibility.

I would make up a dummy round or get a snap cap and chamber it to simulate a loaded weapon. Then practice your draw as often as possible till you get comfortable with the idea of carrying Condition One.

When you practice, wear everything you would normally carry with you when out armed and keep everything in its regular position. Muscle memory is going to play a huge part in carrying safely, so in my mind it is best leave things as they stand and build up the repetition.

ItZaLLgooD
07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
It just takes a little while to get used to. I worried for the first week or two and then it all became routine. I agree about the block. If your finger isn't on the trigger you should have a problem.

How are you liking/shooting the small Glock? I have been carrying a Glock 22 and was considering a 27 for the summer months.

9.3X62AL
07-20-2010, 11:47 PM
My old agency has at least 1200 Glock pistols in service at present. I am unaware of ANY negligent discharges at my agency to date during re-holstering. If your finger is off the trigger, all should be well--assure that no strap finds it way inside the trigger guard during insertion. I flip the strap on my Bianchi #7 away from the pistol with its muzzle or with the off hand.

WITH A CLEARED & CONFIRMED SAFE PISTOL--practice this move until it is hard-wired. TRIGGER FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER--that is the key to safety with Glocks and every other firearm on earth.

imashooter2
07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
I've shot action matches for years and have seen Glocks holstered thousands of times. None have gone off being inserted into a holster. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and you'll be fine.

Bret4207
07-21-2010, 07:35 AM
I carried a Glock for years and my former agency has at least 4500 in service. Never heard of a AD from holstering. When we first got the Glocks everyone was talking about "no safety". Well there is a safety in the trigger and in truth a DA revolver doesn't have a safety either! It's a non-issue as long as you keep your finger off the trigger, just like any other gun.

ghh3rd
07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
How are you liking/shooting the small Glock? I have been carrying a Glock 22 and was considering a 27 for the summer months.

I love my little Glock. Nice punch for a little gun, and accurate. I have been casting/loading Lee 175 gr boolits for the range, and they have been working fine with a Wolf aftermarket barrel.

It's definitely not a pocket gun, but I did get an Al's pocket holster nontheless, and depending on the pants and situation, it's not too bad to carry in the front pocket. Not too bad at all in a coat pocket that way.