PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block

spelunkerrn
07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a Remington Rolling Block rifle in .45-70. It is a Number 1 receiver with a last patent date on the tang of 1874, which to my understanding dates it from anywhere from 1874 to late 1880's. The barrel is a new Green Mountain heavy barrel. I'm a bit wary of a receiver this old, but it looks to be in fine condition and appears to have been recently case colored. I plan on only using blackpowder loads, no smokeless. My question is: would the fact that it has a new barrel make it sturdier? Aside from the breech block, does the barrel absorb much of the pressure of a load going off? Any thoughts? Thanks.

bubba.50
07-20-2010, 05:10 PM
if it has been re-case colored it may have also been re-heat treated which makes'em a bit sturdier. if you know who did the work you may be able to check on it. as for originals, i have a swede made by husqvarna in 1874. was originally 12.7x44 or whatever and has been rechambered to 50-70. i shoot smokeless loads and blackpowder to about 1200 fps with no problem. if in good shape they're stronger than some people think but not something you'd wanta hotrod. for what it's worth and good luck friend, bubba.

Buckshot
07-21-2010, 01:41 AM
.............As bubba.50 said he does with his, BP pressure type smokless loads would be fine so long as the breechblock doesn't have any 'wiggle' to it when the shoulder of the hammer is up against it. Besides the issues with old time metallurgy (they're STILL trying to understand it :-)) a problem with RB's is 'tolerance stacking'. You have the play between the pin and the action and the breechblock on the pin, plus the same for the hammer and it's pin.

I'd never do it but I suspect quite a number of folks bought the 45-70 and .444 Marlin barrels Numrich offered years ago for the #1 RB action. BP equivilent or factory 45-70 ammo would have been fine, as factory was loaded with it's use in the Trapdoor Springfield in mind. The part I'd never do would be to use that .444 Marlin barrel as that was a 40K+ psi cartridge from the factory.

...............Buckshot

missionary5155
07-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Good morning
+1 on all the above. My old 43 spanish is still churning out accurate shots with 2F and some 5744 loads off and on. It was made before 1880 and probably around 1875. I have NO desire to try a 1600 fps cartrige in it as the Buff hunters did just fine mowing down thousands of Shaggies with a 450 grainer at a wopping 1200 fps... I understand there was a bunch of big grizzles also felled.
I just want a chance at an old cow or horse.

spelunkerrn
07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Your knowledge and experience have given me confidence in those old rifles. I'll post pictures when I go ahead with the sale.

yarro
07-21-2010, 11:19 PM
If it is tight it should be safe for BP.

I shoot an original .50 Danish Rolling block that was converted to centerfire. It is tight and shoots well with BP. I also have a 8mmx58R Danish RB that I have not shot much and am considering rebarreling to something else as I haven't got it to shoot as well as I would like.

-yarro

leadman
07-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Inspect the breech face and the areas around the pins. Look for cracks or wear on the breech face. This is an iron, not steel receiver if I remember correctly.
After looking at pictures of quite a few of these old guns that were blown up most of the damage is the top of the receiver by the barrel threads goes and the areas around the pins that lock the action. Many of the pictures showed old cracks that finally let go.

If you see something suspect there are a couple methods to check for cracks that do no harm to the metal parts.

EdZ KG6UTS
08-07-2010, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=missionary5155;952058]Good morning
+1 on all the above. My old 43 spanish is still churning out accurate shots with 2F and some 5744 loads off and on.

I've only had my .43 for a year or so but am pretty happy with it. It was picked up at the Crossroads of the West Gunshow in Delmar CA for under $500 as a 'non shooting antique'. The bore is in excellent condition, the finish looks like arsenal re-blue, stock is VG. I lucked out finding a new old stock C4D die set and some used brass then bought a Lyman mold and more brass from Buffalo Arms.
The original rounds I got were loaded with smokeless and did well at 200yds now I'm playing around with black and black substitute. Right now the rifle just has the military sight but I'd like to find a peep sight I could adapt. Tri focals say its time.

EdZ KG6UTS

Buckshot
08-08-2010, 03:24 AM
[QUOTE=missionary5155;952058]Good morning
+1 on all the above. My old 43 spanish is still churning out accurate shots with 2F and some 5744 loads off and on.

I've only had my .43 for a year or so but am pretty happy with it. It was picked up at the Crossroads of the West Gunshow in Delmar CA for under $500 as a 'non shooting antique'. The bore is in excellent condition, the finish looks like arsenal re-blue, stock is VG. I lucked out finding a new old stock C4D die set and some used brass then bought a Lyman mold and more brass from Buffalo Arms.
The original rounds I got were loaded with smokeless and did well at 200yds now I'm playing around with black and black substitute. Right now the rifle just has the military sight but I'd like to find a peep sight I could adapt. Tri focals say its time.

EdZ KG6UTS

..............Sounds like you're set!

http://www.fototime.com/7CD7CAD02940F78/standard.jpg

Now all you have left to get is a bayonet! It's above my M1879 Argentine RB in the photo :-) Back then cavalry charges into the troops could be met by those bayonets fixed with the rifle butts grounded, like a line of pikes. I still wouldn't want to get run over by a horse, stuck or not!

.............Buckshot

EdZ KG6UTS
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
..............Sounds like you're set!

http://www.fototime.com/7CD7CAD02940F78/standard.jpg

Now all you have left to get is a bayonet!

.............Buckshot[/QUOTE]

I have the bayonet. The seller said he had it but not at the original gunshow so we emailed back and forth 'til the next show....where he passed me the bayonet. From what I've found in the 'Shooting the .43 Spanish' book etc the rifle is a Remington overproduction from one of their contracts. It is not the Argie with hex breech. So as far as I can tell it was little shot or non shot but refinished. I am happy with it in it's military form. Because of the stock military rear site being worn I JB Welded a sewing needle across the breech end site and use that with the original front blade. Not elegant but with my 64 year old eyes works great until I find a non invasive tang squinter.

oldreliable45120
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
How ironic I picked up one of my 43 Spanish at the Delmar gun show too. Granted it was in 1995. Since then I've added 4 1879 Argentine rollers and one carbine without any markings. Great rifles.

EdZ KG6UTS
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=oldreliable45120;973692]How ironic I picked up one of my 43 Spanish at the Delmar gun show too.

The last couple of Delmar shows were missed because we are tied up with the new place we bought in Borrego Springs. I'd like to find another single shot rifle in a smaller caliber like .32-20, .32-40, or .22 but wouldn't pass up another good military roller. One of the early single shot Mausers would be cool too.
I've been taking the .43 and my Sharps out to BLM land a few miles east of Split Mountain Road. Its a good area with great visability and a whole mountain for a backstop.

EdZ KG6UTS
Ocean Beach/Borrego Springs