PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Ruger problem

Art in Colorado
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Returned a Bisley 44 Special for excesive end play and spiting of bullet fragments. Was returned with the forcing cone repaired. There was a lot of gunk in and around the forcing cone. I believe it was the dried up filings and cutting oil used in the repair. After cleaning I discoverd four scratches in the barrel jist past the forcing cone. It was test fired according to the repair order and I think since it was not cleaned the test fire caused these scratches. Is there some one besides normal customer service I could talk to about this? I seem to remember there was a tell the CEO function somewhere for Ruger problems. Any advice would be helpfull.

44man
07-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Returned a Bisley 44 Special for excesive end play and spiting of bullet fragments. Was returned with the forcing cone repaired. There was a lot of gunk in and around the forcing cone. I believe it was the dried up filings and cutting oil used in the repair. After cleaning I discoverd four scratches in the barrel jist past the forcing cone. It was test fired according to the repair order and I think since it was not cleaned the test fire caused these scratches. Is there some one besides normal customer service I could talk to about this? I seem to remember there was a tell the CEO function somewhere for Ruger problems. Any advice would be helpfull.
Shoot it first. A few scratches are not that bad but I understand your concern. They might be so shallow they will go away fast. You can scratch barrel steel with a Scotch Brite pad.

ReloaderFred
07-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Barrel steel is very soft and scratches easily. The marks were probably caused by the pilot of the forcing cone reamer, if I'm reading this correctly and the scratches are on the inside of the barrel. I would just shoot it and see if it affects the accuracy, which I'm betting it won't, unless they are very, very deep.

Hope this helps.

Fred

gray wolf
07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I seem to remember there was a tell the CEO function somewhere for Ruger problems. Any advice would be helpfull.

It is some place on there web site, I used it once and the response was very quick and my problem was solved quickly.

Sam

pdawg_shooter
07-23-2010, 01:02 PM
If you are going to buy a Ruger, make friends with you UPS man and a good pistolsmith firsrt.

Bass Ackward
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Ruger has changed philosophies on how they build. If you remove your cylinder and look at the recoil shield of the frame, you will see a spring loaded plunger at about 4 o'clock from the center pin hole. The purpose of this is to maintain cylinder position, no matter how your end wear occurs. My cylinder feels like it moves 1/4" but it is far less than that.

Rumor has it that 44man has been advising them on his loose handgun theory to handgun accuracy.

I re-cut my forcing cone also. Twice. This past time was the second time I did it. The original was punched more than it was cut. This actually bent the rifling so that it actually changed twist rate to a steeper angle. The first cut was to remove the flairs on the end of the rifling to allow the bullet to enter the bore before pressure ate the base away.

My rifling height was also off. After it was able to wear .... more uniformly and the bore cleaned up, it made it .... more accurate to indicate the barrel up with the bore to get a truer cone cut.

The first cut made all the difference in the world for PB. The second cut was more cosmetic and thus far less effect on accuracy because the gun was already shooting in what it actually needed. I just got tired of that bank it off the glass look.

Your scratches will clean up in a few hundred rounds. How it shoots should be the main concern.

44man
07-23-2010, 04:06 PM
That plunger is silly and meant to align the chamber when ejecting empties. I prefer a free spin pawl. It has nothing to do with shooting position of the cylinder. Another cowboy action thing to ruin a good gun like they did to the Vaquero.
Almost as bad as putting "clicks" on new model BH so it sounds like a Colt. Who in the world wants that noise when hunting?
How do you dampen out the four loud clicks on a Freedom when a deer is 20 yards away?

Bass Ackward
07-23-2010, 05:31 PM
How do you dampen out the four loud clicks on a Freedom when a deer is 20 yards away?

20 yards? :bigsmyl2:

Within the instant that deer notices you he gives you signs of departure. It's ears start to lay back and then it's head starts to turn. I have already begun to clear leather waiting for my mind to decide to shoot or not. The deer starts to hunch down and raises it's first foot. Before the deer gets the second step, it has been hit once and if it's body continues to move in a natural muscular motion, it is hit again usually before the fifth step.

If we were hunting together, when you finished cocking, my gun would be going back into leather.

felix
07-23-2010, 05:58 PM
How fast would a deer jump after confronting that quick draw BOB somebody? ... felix

9.3X62AL
07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
This thread's content (and that of another) prompt a question.......if Ruger has introduced end shake as a product characteristic, what would be the expected service life of a 44 Magnum BisHawk so constructed? Apparently the 45 Colt Throat Squeeze was too easy to remedy in the aftermarket, so now this--the Single Action Slide Hammer.

Bass Ackward
07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
This thread's content (and that of another) prompt a question.......if Ruger has introduced end shake as a product characteristic, what would be the expected service life of a 44 Magnum BisHawk so constructed?

Scarry huh?

lefty_red
07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
If you are going to buy a Ruger, make friends with you UPS man and a good pistolsmith firsrt.

Preach it Brother!

I have had ten Ruger SA and only one (OM 44mag 7.5") was a shooter. Three costed my three times thier sticker price on shipping and gunsmithing.

I have $1500 saved up for a Freedom Arms! Only $600 more to go!

BTW, Bearcat is the best SA Ruger makes IMHO.

I truely want to love Ruger and have a long life together, but I just don't see it happening.

Jerry

billyb
07-29-2010, 12:57 AM
How fast would a deer jump after confronting that quick draw BOB somebody? ... felix

I think that is his name. I don't think the deer would have time to react in that case. Bill

pdawg_shooter
07-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Preach it Brother!

I have had ten Ruger SA and only one (OM 44mag 7.5") was a shooter. Three costed my three times thier sticker price on shipping and gunsmithing.

I have $1500 saved up for a Freedom Arms! Only $600 more to go!

BTW, Bearcat is the best SA Ruger makes IMHO.

I truely want to love Ruger and have a long life together, but I just don't see it happening.

Jerry

I was an FFL dealer for 24 years and just hated to sell a Ruger. Just knew I was gonna have a peed of customer. Higher rate of warranty return than all else combined.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2010, 07:39 AM
if it were me and the scratches were on the outside of the barrel i wouldnt get to worked up about it because a week from now it would only have more that i put in it. Never been much on babying a gun. Even my 2000 dollar customs are rode hard and a put away wet! I consider a handgun more of a tool then a work of art. Especially when its just an out of the box ruger. If your looking for perfection in a hangun you best look at differnt brands because there isnt to many rugers i cant pick apart as they come.

44man
07-31-2010, 08:43 AM
I don't fool with a deer's ears. Bought a holster long ago that had a flap held with Velcro, removed it fast and put a snap.
Even a new archery release had a Velcro wrist strap and just starting to put pressure on the string made a tiny creak I could not even hear but deer would bolt. I had to fix that too.
Then I bought a cold weather camo coat, the dummies put nylon sleeve liners in it!!!!
I have had deer at 50 yards behind brush, I ease the hammer back so I am ready when they step clear---you better believe they can hear it.
Other sounds like breaking branches, dropping stuff and even gun fire does not spook them but add just a little higher frequencies to anything and it is over.
I have a bow that I can only hit deer in the morning with, in the evening they are gone before the arrow hits where they were. Something to do with air density or something.

jh45gun
07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
I was an FFL dealer for 24 years and just hated to sell a Ruger. Just knew I was gonna have a peed of customer. Higher rate of warranty return than all else combined.

Ah the truth comes out besides some one who is just a past owner.

MtGun44
07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Interesting. I have a bunch of Rugers, some bought in the last few years. Never had
a warranty item in the last 28 yrs on any of them. That 28yera old one was a .22 6 7/8" target
pistol that I bought used when it was about 15 yrs old. Started having misfires that cleaning
and anything else didn't fix. Sent it back, they replaced everything but the barrel and
receiver for free. Worked great ever since. I thought that was pretty good considering I
was not the original owner and it was way past any warranty time.

The largest local gunshop dropped selling Taurus due to unreliability and unfriendly warranty
repairs (send gun to Brazil and wait a few months), but are happy with Ruger.

Bill

ReloaderFred
07-31-2010, 01:11 PM
I also have a bunch of Rugers that I haven't had any issues with. From the bench, they'll all put bullets into small little clusters, which is all I can ask of them. All my Blackhawks are either .357 or .357/9mm combo revolvers. I use two of them for SASS, but they've been worked over by Olglesby & Olglesby, in Springfield, IL., so I guess those don't really count as factory guns. My Convertible Single Six is also a good one, as is my SS Mk. II bull barrel.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ole 5 hole group
07-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a bow that I can only hit deer in the morning with, in the evening they are gone before the arrow hits where they were. Something to do with air density or something.

Interesting – you either have to release the arrow sooner or you have to take a nap and rejuvenate that old body of yours. Next time I miss a coyote at long range (or any range for that matter), I’m going to use that excuse – I’ll have both morning & evening revolvers to suit the occasion.

EDK
07-31-2010, 03:48 PM
I've had RUGERS and SMITH & WESSONS for 40+ years with minimal problems.

A S&W 25-2 had some inept gunsmith problems after having an auxillary 45 Long Colt fitted...and I put 50 THOUSAND rounds through the gun in a couple years to boot. I just plain wore it out, but it's still working for my brother.

A 44 Magnum VAQUERO developed hammer problems, but it was used when I bought it and it's a high use item. The new hammer and trigger cured the problems, but it also went from 2.5 to 5 pounds on the trigger pull also.

Any brand you buy may need some fine tuning if you're picky about trigger pulls...I am....but a good gunsmith will take care of the problem.

We ALL tend to forget that most people here burn up a lot of ammo. COLT allegedly figured the average owner of a GOVERNMENT model 1911 would use 2 thousand rounds in the gun in his lifetime...and designed it for 10 thousand. Maybe someone else can remember who made that statement? AND who hasn't heard of the 44 Magnums with 6 empties for sale in the local gun shop? I've got two 44 VAQUEROS that fit that description.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck: