PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on powder measures

ilcop22
07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Howdy,

I have been using a Lee "Perfect" Powder Measure for some time now, and like all things made of plastic, it stopped working. I'll get two consistent charges and by the third, it's off 0.2 to 0.6 grains. Its lack of function is like clockwork.

Do you have any suggestions for a good replacement? I'm on a tight budget, so extravagant electronic machines are outside my pay grade. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom-ADC
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
I use the Lyman 55 mine is set up for BP but usable for all powders,

billyb
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM
take the lee apart and clean the rubber wiper in the bottom,they get gunked up. or contact lee and order a couple of the wipers.Lee will repair thier stuff is another option. Bill

Dannix
07-20-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm liking my RCBS small cylinder Uniflow. I was tight at the time too, but I'm glad I ponied up for it now. Take a look a billyb's recommendation though, especially considering you're on a tight budget.

Kevin Rohrer
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Ebay has perfectly good Lyman 55 and Belding & Mull measures for around $50. Both are top shelf.

AZ-Stew
07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Plus 1 on the Lyman 55. I've been using mine for over 35 years and it's more accurate than when I bought it. (I've learned how to use it to the best of its ability.)

Buy a good tool and it'll last a lifetime.

Regards,

Stew

ilcop22
07-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Sounds like the Lyman 55 is a winner. I'm sure I can manage to put some money aside for that. Thanks for the tips, gents.

John 242
07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
I really like my RCBS Uniflow powder measure.
Mine came with my Pro 2000 press and it works great so far. Once set, it throws charges pretty consistantly. I get a little variation in charges as the level of powder drops in the bottle with some powders like Unique. Rummor has it that a powder baffle helps.
Yeah, the Uniflow is kind of expensive but RCBS quality and customer service are top notch.
I'm not bashing the Lyman product. I'm just happy with my Uniflow.

buck1
07-21-2010, 10:21 PM
The 55 wont throw real large charges for mag cases. at least mine wont...Buck

mike in co
07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
just get a replacement lee...the price is right for your budget, and a measure/thrower will still require a good scale to check it with

pmeisel
07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I like my Lee. I retired my Lyman 55 because I had trouble adjusting it consistently.... horses for courses I guess.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-23-2010, 12:34 AM
The Lee works well for some folks, but not for others. Same said for Lyman's #55.
The 55 costwise is in the same ballpark as the RCBS and Hornady. The Saeco is much more expensive than the others. All can be capable of close accuracy if one maintains them, keeps them clean and lubed with some powdered graphite. I do not subscribe to the idea/practice of pre-arranged powder settings or number related formulas for accurate setting of the measure with any powder. The safest and most accurate way to set a powder measure is with a reliable scale. Powder is prone to variation from lot to lot and and effects of humidity levels. Baffles and consistent use of "knockers", tapping or bumping/double tapping the rotor assembly all contribute to consistent charges, but erratic charges appearing or any type of binding is a sign of trouble and should be checked out. Static electricity can be chased or minimized by using an anti-cling dryer sheet. Never leave any powder in the hopper any longer than necessary. Any of the above heavier duty measures can last a long time and give dependable service for a long time if cared for. They are worth the few extra bucks in the long run. LLS

ilcop22
07-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Following suggestions, I picked up a Lyman #55. A friend of mine has been selling off a number of things, including 4 or 5 Lyman #55s. She was kind enough to sell it to me for $20 bucks. It's probably twice my age, but it works like new. Thanks again for the tips.

cajun shooter
07-31-2010, 09:51 AM
I own both RCBS and Lyman. They are both top notch. I find that a lot of the complaints about the 55 is from not reading the instructions. The 55 has three adjustments that can be made to the amount the drum will drop. The Rcbs has only 1. I read one forum where the poster advised that his 55 would only drop 58 grains of a certain powder. When asked if he used the large adjustment he advised that he only turned the small one on top.

littlejack
07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Been using my RCBS Uniflow for 45 years. Still lookin for the Small drum for the right price.
I don't think I can wait another 45?
Jack

scb
07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007603500
Well worth the money in my opinion. Now-a-days when it come to tools I tend not to compromise. I did when I started out and always was unsatisfied with the performance of the cheaper option. So in the long run when you have to again replace an inferior product it cost more than buying a good one in the first place. I also have no complaint with the two RCBS Uniflows I have as well.

stephen perry
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
I have 8 powder throwers. Without getting into my BR throwers I would recommend the RCBS Uniflo with both drums. I have 3 Ideal 55 throwers the original and 2 with Culver type drums. Uniflo does everything a Cast thrower would need.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

John Boy
07-31-2010, 11:54 PM
ilcop, don't give up on the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Give this a read ...
Grain Weight Statistics Between 4 Different Powder Measures (http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7037&highlight=ohaus)

Dannix
08-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Following suggestions, I picked up a Lyman #55. A friend of mine has been selling off a number of things, including 4 or 5 Lyman #55s. She was kind enough to sell it to me for $20 bucks. It's probably twice my age, but it works like new. Thanks again for the tips.
Awesome! $20 is a bargain. What kind of standard deviation numbers are you getting?

Big Dave
08-05-2010, 09:29 PM
The Lyman 55 is a good measure so are RCBS, Redding and others.I have used Lymans for over fifty years and they still dothe job fine. Where ultimate precision is desired the Belding and Mull is unbeatable, just a little slow to operate.

Mk42gunner
08-06-2010, 11:02 PM
I too want to find an afordable small drum for my Uniflow. One of these days...

RObert

onondaga
08-07-2010, 01:35 AM
The Lyman 55 was my first measure. I inherited it from a late friend about 20 years ago. Still works great. I recently got a Lee Perfect specifically because I needed a second measure to throw accurate ballistic filler volumes and measure powder at the same time. The Lee works so well I tried it on powders and I am very impressed with accuracy and how well it handles long extruded powders. The Lyman crunches and cuts stick powders and the Lee doesn't. Also I am A big fan of manufacturers instructions and the Lee VMD system for powder weight setting is a great system to work with and very simple for those who read instructions. I cannot understand the complaints about the Lee leaking. I have had over 6 pounds of powder through mine and it never has leaked. I think the loaders having trouble are not paying any attention to instructions and cranking down the tension adjustment screw till they ruin parts and need to blame someone instead of themselves.

noylj
08-12-2010, 02:15 AM
This falls under the area of whether it is worth replacing or fixing. My wife doesn't understand but I buy a tool that looks like it will do the job and cost the least and generally buy as a kit (if I need one wrench, I will probably need others so I buy the kit).
I have never had a situation where said tool did not do its job, at least for awhile. Can't even think of any that have failed, except for my Dillon wrench where the jaws sprung.
If and when an individual tool fails, I tell her, I will buy a "quality" replacement as I would see that I have a continuing need for the tool.
Personally, I would still call Lee and see about a repair. I wouldn't want to only have one powder measure. Maybe others don't have the problems I do, but there just seem to be days when a given measure will not toss consistent charges...

jcw1970
08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Got a Lee perfect powder measure for sale. $15 + SH

littlejack
08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
As I mentioned in my first reply, I wanted a small drum for my Uniflow. Well, I bought a complete Uniflow with the small drum last week on flea-bay. 53.00 TMD. Now I have two Uniflows. They do work very well and after 45 years with my first one and still going strong, they LAST. I am going to bid on a stand for the Uniflows on flea-bay and will be set to quick change-over for the rest of my life. Good loadin to all.
Jack