PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Madness

Beekeeper
07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I got a bunch of them and all of the ones I have shot so far are about a mile high.
Without ruining the front sight I have not found a way to sight in for 100 yards.
Was thinking of removing the front sight hood and replacing the rod with a taller on.
that means I have to redesign the hood or leave it off.
Will accept any ones ideas on the subject.

Jim

Dark Helmet
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Try building up the top of your current front sight with some epoxy, a bit at a time

billyb
07-19-2010, 11:59 PM
I made a new rod for mine, out of brass. I have not shot mine yet so I do not know if it helped. The rod is three diameters with a small bevel on the bottom. Bill

WILCO
07-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Take a look at this link Jim:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mosinfrontsight/index.asp

From the article itself: The method we have come up with for solving the high-shooting problem involves no permanent alterations to the gun (at least, nothing that cannot be easily and inexpensively replaced) and is almost un-noticeable (except, of course, for how much better the gun will shoot).

andrew375
07-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Try looking at the ammo. Most new manufactured and surplus is loaded with the 180 gr. ball "D" bullet but the mosins were set up to use the 150 gr. bullet. With mine i have to aim at the bottom of the frame at 300 yards and for a thousand yards the sight is on 850 metres!

Freightman
07-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Make them like a SKS take the post out and thread the hole and put a adjustable screw in like the SKS. You can buy post for them and keep your original

870TC
07-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I've seen some guys use a small piece of heat shrink tubing. Slide it over the original front sight peg and hit it with a match. Not fancy, or permanent but gets the job done.