PDA

View Full Version : Gunrest and a Remington 580 SS

ka0tqv
07-19-2010, 01:39 PM
An aid to target shooting is a good gunrest. You can build a simple one for practically nothing. Basic dimensions for the lumber is 3\4" x 36" x 6" for the bottom board and the two uprights are are 4" and 6 1\2" respectively. I positioned them at 2" and 20 " from the LH end. With my Rem 580, this allowed the stock to project 2 or 3" and allow your shoulder to meet the buttstock comfortably. I cut each slot in the uprights 2" wide and 1 1\2" deep for the carpet. Cut the carpet about 1" wide x 6" long. Smear a little Elmer's glue on carpet and using a short block of 2x4, press the carpet into place. Let dry, fold ends over and use carpet tacks to secure, VOILA! Apply finish if desired and you have a custom made rest at a fraction of a commercial one. My first group at 20 yds with this rest was well under a penny. Just by sliding back and forth the rifle, you can adjust for most ranges. Your bench rest should be fairly level. You may have to fabricate a 1\4" shim of plywood about 1: by 4", to place under the front or rear of gunrest to compensate. Good luck and have fun. CW