PDA

View Full Version : Ruger single six

JSH
07-19-2010, 07:51 AM
I had a Remington 870 20 gauge I bought for what I thought was good price this last fall. Bought it thinking the son may like it better than his youth model. All he did was snatch up my 1100 and really likes the A5, both 12 gauge. So one of the 20's had to go. Packed it around at a couple of GS and priced it at what I thought was a good price where dealers could make some $ and I could come out too. All that ended up doing was trading insults, in a friendly way.
Ended up trading the 870 for a single six that is like brand new. I figure it will be his Christmas present, along with a holster.
Any input on these as to how they shoot for you guys. 22 mag cylinder came with it, suprised there was no bag for it like there used to be.
jeff

Muddy Creek Sam
07-19-2010, 08:46 AM
jeff,

We have 2 of the 6.5" unconverted 3 screws, They shoot great, unconverted they can fire without pulling the trigger if dropped, conversion is free. Would get it done if giving to a kid.

Sam :D

Shooter6br
07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I love my SS 22rf /22mag. I own a Marlin is 17HRM. Great of woodchucks(chucks pasture poodles, whistle pigs etc) out to 125 yrs or so. like the 22rf /22mag simply 1) 22 rf is cheaper than either 17 Mag II or 17 mag. 2) easiler to get 22 Rf and 22 Mag auto

ghh3rd
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
I bought my Ruger Single Six new in 1974 when I was 21 - first hand gun I ever owned. Used the heck out of it, and still use it today. Fun to convert it to magnum and fire a few cylinders full. It's in very good condition, and still shoots very well. Fun gun to plink with for sure.

Shooter6br
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I had bought a Arminus DA instead of the Ruger about 30 yrs ago. It was 22RF / 22mag. My dad convinced me not to get the Ruger. I was sorry for all that time. I saw a Ruger SS 22RF / 22 Mag with a 6.5 in barrel used. I sold the Arminus at $150 ( I payed 134.00 new) and put $120 to it and got the gun I wanted 30 yrs ago ( only now stainless steel) It was kinda on my "bucket list" to get it

Shooter6br
07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Pic of Ruger with Tasco red dot (weigland mount). It now sports a 30mm Ultradot

BillP
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
They are nice plinkers. The only objection I have is the new model safety system takes some of the "old west" out of the experience.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/barnacle_2006/93thxhaoc4.jpg

JSH
07-19-2010, 06:19 PM
This one is new enough that it has the goofy look under the grip. Yeah, he is a kid I guess but I would venture to say he has sent more lead down range on a serious note than a lot of adults 2-3 time his age. Not his first pistol. His first was my first an old Stevens tip open that he still likes to drag out and shoot. It looks like 5 miles of bad road but is a neat old pistol with about a 8 pound trigger, this was his when he was 7. He usually gets some kind of firearm for his B-day or Christmas. If things fall right, somtimes he gets one for both. We have swapped and sold as he has grown some of them. Went from a Contender carbine a to the Encore. I figured that was a cheaper platform to do a search on calibers and case family before we build or buy him a bolt gun. The last .22RF I got him was, well a big disapointment. We swapped it off last fall with my .45 ACP for a kimber. It is "ours" but more his. He is like me to a point, he likes wheel guns, and trust them more than an auto.
A friend of mine handed him his gold cup and proclaimed it "NEVER" jammed. Didn't make any difference how you gripped it. .....................first three rounds were fine, #4 jammed, cleared that one and it jammed again. Dumped that mag and stuck another one in, it wouldn't feed that one either. He cleared it layed it down and was done. The gent picked it up and had no better luck. The son made a comment that a wheel gun never had that problem,lol. Wonder who he heard say that before??? lol
Worst thing I ever did was start him witha 20 gauge. He was big enough framed that I should have listened too a few of the trap shooters and went right to a 12 gauge.

Actually was interested in what I can expect from it, or rather he can expect. If it won't shoot for him and I can't get it to shoot for him it will be trade material. 16 years old and he expects a lot more from a gun than most adults. I may have created a monster. I was hoping it may work as a tree rat rig with a dot on it.
jeff

GOPHER SLAYER
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I couldn't resist showing my two Ruger single sixes. I bought my first in the early 1970's. I recently acquired it's mate. How do they shoot? I am able to hit beer cans at 25 to 30 yards. I don't plan on entering a match with them. Just to look at them is enough, since I rode the range every Saturday afternoon when I was a kid at the Malone theater with Hoppy, Lash Larue, Buck Jones and The Durango Kid. If I could have owned one of these pistols when I was a boy it would have been very difficult to get me to go to school at all. As it was I skipped many days just to wonder through Hart's woods with a cheap .22 rifle. Those woods were replaced with two story brick homes decades ago. Now that I have many beautiful pistols, I have to drive at least two hours into the desert to shoot them. That is unless I want to take them to the range and punch holes in paper. I don't feel that these guns were intended for that. You may disagree with me but again, I really don't care. I would love to take these two beauties to the swamps of Louisiana and shoot nutria with them.

Dark Helmet
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
5.5" Old Model here. Laser cannons got nothin on it.

Marvin S
07-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Mine is a great little gun, but I have not fired the mag cylinder.

Multigunner
07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
My older single Six had only the .22 Mag cylinder with it.
Rather than having the tranfer bar installed I fiure on mounting a perment chamber insert in one chamber to allow use of the .22 long in that chamber for low cost plinking.
When the altered chamber is not loaded that chamber, which I plan to mark prominently with dimples 9filled with white paint) that will show on either side of the top strap when its under the hammer, will act as a reminder for five beans in the wheel carry.

I've heard that the retrofitted older pistols seldom have as good a trigger pull as before alteration. Plus unaltered older Single Six revolvers seem more desirable to collectors.

I've seen the chamber inserts to convert from .22 WMRF to .22 Long advertised, though its been many years since I've seen those.
They were very thin stanless steel tubes.
I've started making a home made alternative, by cutting the rim off a fired WMRF casing and polishing the inside to allow the long rifle cartridge to chamber.
The case walls of the WMRF are much thicker the closer to the rim you get. They probably don't expand as much near the base either.

I figured I'd put the finished insert in coated with lock tight. I hear that was how the 7.62 chamber adapters for the Garand were secured. Also adapters to allow .32 ACP in the .32 French long chamber were secured with lock tight.
The adapter for the French Long was made from the cut off neck of a steel .30 Carbine case.
I'd looked up that adaptation before discovering that my old 7.65 Long French 1935 pistol could fire .32 ACP without an adapter.

Daddyfixit
07-21-2010, 01:08 AM
jeff,

We have 2 of the 6.5" unconverted 3 screws, They shoot great, unconverted they can fire without pulling the trigger if dropped, conversion is free. Would get it done if giving to a kid.

Sam :D

I sent mine back for the "upgrade" about 15 years ago. I'm going to change it back! My dad gave it to my when I was 14... never had a problem. When I got the transfer bar in it it misfires now and again (the cyl shaft backs out) gittn' tired of dealing with it!
Great gun, great fun! my kids love it!

Combat Diver
07-22-2010, 01:56 AM
My very first handgun was a Ruger New Model Super Single Six with a 5.5", blued and dual cyclinders that I bought when I was 17 in 82'. It was the first handgun that I shoot when home on leave last week. I taught my two boys how to shoot a handgun with it also. Classic revolver.

CD

TNsailorman
07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
If I remember right, the first handgun I ever owned was a Ruger 3 screw .22lr/.22magnum convertable model that I bought about 1964 or 65 and if I remember right, I paid $72.50, I think, for it at a retail store and it was new in the box. It shot great with .22lr but not as well with the .22magnum cylinder in it. I foolishly sold it in 1974 for about $125.00 which was way more than I paid for it orginally and thought at the time I had slickered the old time gun trader pretty good. I wish I had kept that little revolver. It was the fixed sight 6 1/2" model. I may have to find me another one before I kick the bucket. Shooting single actions with their long hammer fall takes a little getting use to but they are worth the effort in my book. James

JDFuchs
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a single six in 32H&R. I got it brand new 3 years ago. It has the transfer bar. Never had a problem with it. Since it was built form the ground up with the transfer bar it gives me no problems unlike some of the above that had been converted.
It was my first revolver and now the only handguns I ever think of buying are revolvers.

2wheelDuke
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
My old man has one of the old model Single Six. He got it dirt cheap after the original owner took it on a hunting trip. The guy neglected to have an empty chamber under the hammer, and leaning up on a tree to take a break, he blew the tip of his boot off.

He never did send it in for the "upgrade."