PDA

View Full Version : J4 jackets and Corbin dies

Bollocks
07-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Gents,

I hope you can help me out here.

With the std Corbin 224 dies I've started using J4 jackets. I was surprised by the fact I still see some fold marks on the ogives (6S).

You do not have to anneal these jackets, right?

Is there something I missed? Is speed of operation maybe an issue here?

Thanks from Holland,
BolloX

Houndog
07-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Most of the time when you have folds in the ogive you are using too much lube! If the jacket is splitting and folding over itself you have jackets that aren't annealed properly. The first is VERY common, and the second rarely ever happens with J4 jackets. I tumble lube my bullet jackets in a plastic jar with a paddle cemented in it using an old Thumbler's tumbler. I use 6 grains of a 50/50 lube made of ANHYDROUS lanolin and Vaseline for 250 6mm jackets if I'm using STEEL dies and 2grains lube for carbide dies. I weigh the lube by putting it on a small piece of paper using an electronic scale that was zeroed with the paper. I just smear the lube inside the jar and tumble the cases 10 minutes. Generally if you can see the lube on your bullet jackets, you are using too much!

Bollocks
07-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks Houndog!

I'm using Imperial sizing wax because it works fine with 22Rf jackets. But with these J4 jackets I have to use more otherwise I get ejection problems. I will experiment a bit further with this and keep (most of) the lube away from the ogive.

Or maybe Imperial wax is completely the wrong lube?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
BolloX

blaser.306
07-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I can't say for sure but in my opinion I would think that Imperial was would be too heavy a lube for swaging purposes . Try using either Corbin swage lube or your own home made mix of 50/50 anhydrous lanolin and castor oil . And like was mentoined before , If you can see the lube you likely are using too much!! Again just my opinion.

martin
07-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Bollocks,

I agree that too much or the wrong kind of lube will produce folds, however there is one more thing that you might want to check. In my experience, the 22 jackets are fairly thin and if the ogive is not at least partially filled with lead, the tip will fold in on itself as it is unsupported. I noticed this when either the jacket is too long for the lead core or the lead core is too short for the jacket. The way to check this is to take a bullet just made (prusiming an open point bullet) and stick a pin in the point then measure how far the pin went into the meplate (opening). From there you can determine how far down the lead is and if it is not at least 1/3 of the way up the ogive you will likely get folds.

Hope this helpls,
Martin

Hickory
07-19-2010, 08:38 AM
When applying the lube, it is important to
keep the lube only on the shank of the bullet.
and none on the part that is to be reduced.
Any lube on the forward part of the bullet
will cause wrinkles.
The wrinkles are not that important, as
far as accuacy goes, but tends to appear as a sloppy
job of bullet making when they get too big and unsightly.

Bollocks
07-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the support gentlemen. Very much appreciated!

@Martin: Even when I make bullets with lead all the way to the tip (60 grainers) I still get the wrinkles.

I will experiment further with the Imperial stuff I have on-hand and will avoid lube on the ogive. I did generously lube the whole jacket untill now.

Will try another lube if the 'issue' is not solved after this.

Thanks again,
BolloX

stephen perry
07-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree with houndog for the most part. I use the use jacket lube he does. I do not agree that too much lube will fold ogives. I make 22 bullets on Rorschach carbide dies. I fold a jacket maybe 1 every 1000 bullets, sometimes not even that. A lead core stays in the bottom of the jacket for 52 grn bullets, unless you are making lead tips on purpose. J4 are the best jackets available for target some varmint. The target jackets are uniform thickness throughout. Tapered jackets have more gilding in the base and taper to minimum thickness at the top.

If you have a fold problem I would suggest you back off the point-up cone that determines the final ogive shape. You are asking the ogive to do some gymnastics that the jacket doesn't want to do thus the fold. Lube applys the hydraulic force between die metal and the jacket but too much is just that too much worst that I see from too much lube are the deep striations lines that say too much lube. Proper ogives should have the striation marks but should show as faint marks. Keep trying bollocks you're getting there.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Bollocks
07-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Gents,

Made some boolits using less lube (Imperial) on the front part of the jacket. No more wrinkles in the ogive!

Thanks!
BolloX

Bollocks
07-24-2010, 07:26 AM
I changed lube from Imperial to Dillon case lube (contains lanolin) which I had lying around and that works much better. No ejection issues.

Thanks for the lanolin advice!