PDA

View Full Version : yeah, finally done! AND A INGOT?

BOOM BOOM
07-19-2010, 01:36 AM
HI,
WELL BETWEEN JOB HUNTING, GATHERING FIREWOOD, I FINALLY FINISHED SIZING & LUBING ALL THE BOOLITS I CAST 2 YRS AGO![smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:
Did not cast at all this last winter as I was in Idaho.
Missed the spring tire wt. melt too. so will load some 38's & then look at doing some smelting (campfire method of course).
Still job hunting,BLAH:cry:
Lucked into a big 40 lb. lead ingot.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD METHOD OF CUTTING THESE BIG 2' X 4"X 3" INGOTS INTO ABOUT 10 LB CHUNKS???????????????

vulture47
07-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Try using a sharp axe and a sledge hammer. Estimate the weight you want, place the axe on the ingot and smack it with the sledge. It works better if you use what I believe is refered to as a single jack, one of those small one handed sledge hammers. It will take a few smacks and you may have to move the axe to one edge and cut across the ingot by moving the axe. If you have a cutting tourch you can use that but you have to be prepared to collect the runoff as you melt through the chunck.

ghh3rd
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
If you have access to a few minutes with an acetylene torch, you can render it into a pile of 'dribbles' in no time. Not sure, but perhaps even a MAPP gas torch would work.

SP101GUY
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
A splitting maul and sledge work well too. Goes fast if you have two people with a good eye.

AJ

BOOM BOOM
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
hi,
Was thinking a saws all, or metal band saw.

scrapcan
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
or a propane weed burner directed at the thing. I have seen tons of lead melted in an old iron disk with center hole welded up. The lead is piled on and the weed burner directed at it. No lead left after it is poured into the ingot moulds. New pile of lead stacked on and the process repeats. No issue with water in melt or on new lead to be rendered.

AZ-Stew
07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Band saw with a coarse blade.

Regards,

Stew

Calamity Jake
07-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Band saw with a coarse blade.

Regards,

Stew

And lots of lube!!!!!! Don't run it dry!!! Bees wax works pretty good.

HORNET
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Got a crosscut saw? Leads not hard to cut if you're careful about how much bite you're trying to get and use a little lube to keep it from binding. Use a little newspaper to catch the chips.

ilcop22
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
+1 on the wedge axe and sledgehammer.

BOOM BOOM
07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
HI,
Thanks for the tips, especially using lube on band saw.