PDA

View Full Version : Fat boolits in Winchesters

78CJ
07-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Well, I ended up loading the 350 grain RD boolits over 24grains of SR 4759 to shoot in the old 1886. The rounds shot great cutting holes at 50 yards.

The one thing I realized was that when I would chamber them they took a little work to close the lever. I ejected the third round and could see where it was kissing the lands. Along with that It was shiny where all around the circumference. It then dawned on me that these were cast and sized for my Marlins at .460.

They shot so good and Chronoed at 1460fps.

So will the added dia. be a problem. Leading maybe?

Thanks

Ryan

MtGun44
07-23-2010, 12:38 PM
The problem is that these rifles have essentially no throat. Any full diameter portion
ahead of the brass more than about 1/16" will be jammed into the rifling. That is probably
what you are feeling. Big diam is usually GOOD and prevents leading, not the other way
around. Fitting tightly into the throat, without jamming so much that extracting a loaded
round is difficult or may leave the boolit in the throat, and large diam are a couple of the
good ways to make an accurate load that doesn't lead.

So - if you were having problems with accy and leading, these are the kind of 'fixes' to
try. Since you are already doing them, and getting good results ----- just keep on
doing that. Might seat a touch deeper to make closing the action easier. Too much
deeper may hurt accy a bit.

Bill

78CJ
07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I need to post some pics, I set them a little deeper to make chambering a little easier and they are super accurate. I don't see any leading issues.

I owe you guys some pics of the old Winchester.

Ryan

MtGun44
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you are "there". :drinks:

Congratulations. Like I said, fat is usually good in boolits.

Bill

missionary5155
07-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Good afternoon
+1 on the FAT boolits.
I plan on always having a fatter than groove boolit. With the large calibers -- .41 +-- I generally think .0015+ . Bore condition if pore can also benefit from very FAT to groove boolits.
Then there is the FAT Throat syndrome so many older rifles suffer with. My 1876 model 45-60 shoots a .463+ far better than a .461 and the muzzle ends at .460.
My first task with any rifle is to slug the throat area.... never had one with a smaller throat than barrel groove. Fill the throat and you are well on the way to a good load.