PDA

View Full Version : My "Holy Grail" revolver find!!!

358wcf
07-18-2010, 06:26 PM
This story actually happened to me in the last few weeks-
Attending my younger daughter's graduation at CalPoly University in San Luis Obispo, I made the obligatory stops at the several gunshops in the area. I seldom get down there, as it is a 4 hour drive from home.
Stopping at Bridge Sporting Shop in Paso Robles, CA, I scanned their usual excellent supply of new and used firearms, looking for anything unusual. My eyes stopped on a new Smith stainless 22LR "Kit Gun", and I had to hold it in my hands, just for a moment- returning to the shop owner, I noticed an older blue Smith box with a large blue revolver in it. (I'm a sucker for N-frames!). He pulled out the box, saying something like "its an older one, never been fired, in the box", or something like that--
It was, and still is- a 6 1/2" Model 24, 44Special, with all the target options, trigger, hammer,grips, and patridge front sight!!!! I've never before seen such a beauty, and it was in my hands-- what to do???
Money immediately changed hands, I had it shipped to my local FFL holder, so I didn't have to come back after our waiting period.
I couldn't believe I actually found one of these after years of searching--- patience pays off, sometimes-
This beauty now sits right next to my 4" Hamilton Bowen 44Special I had him make me from my old Smith model 27-- a work of art in itself!
Like all my firearms, the new 44Special will soon take its virgin trip to the range to join in the fun-
Wonder what treasure I will turn up next time---

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

donjose
07-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Nice I bet you are still smiling, I know the feeling when you find a special thing you have been looking for

Jason

Firebricker
07-18-2010, 07:26 PM
We need picture's !!! What a find. FB

dk17hmr
07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Good deal, I favor the 44 SPL over the Magnum. Dont ask me why, and some day I will own one.

By the way whats a "Waiting period"?

Dframe
07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
A truly great revolver. I have one just like it I bought back in the early eighties I believe.

dragonrider
07-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I am glad for you. Mine would be a 1917 S&W in reasonable condition for a reasonable price.

Whitworth
07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Let's see some photos!

kingstrider
07-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I'd also like to see pics when you get the time. Just curious though, is there an automatic wait time for purchases in CA?

9.3X62AL
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM
waiting period (n.), (CA colloq.)--1) a vain attempt by hoplophobic neurotics to prevent crime, after a search for the guilty yields no results and punishment of the innocent seems symbolically appropriate. 2) waste of time--see "speedbump on autobahn".

Boxhead
07-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Nice find and I am glad to hear that Bridge's is still in business. I graduated from Cal Poly in 1985 and always enjoyed dropping in the place. Of course being a student I did not have a dime but still enjoyed browsing. When I started in 1980 SLO had a nice little gun shop on Higuera that closed a couple of years later as the down moved to be a more "uppity" place...

hunter64
07-21-2010, 11:18 PM
I am glad for you. Mine would be a 1917 S&W in reasonable condition for a reasonable price.

Found a 1917 .455 Hand Eject S&W that was used in WW1. Has 6 guys names scratched into it, the last guy to carry it brought it home with him. He was in the Royal Field Artillery unit and as each soldier was killed it was given to the next one who replaces him. I even have the guy's sign up papers that brought it home.

My second greatest find was a model 29 .44 Mag that had exactly 3 rounds shot in it. It came with the presentation box and tools and 1 box of ammo with 3 missing. The guy just couldn't shoot it and was scared of the recoil. He bought it in 1972 at the height of the Dirty Harry craze for 450.00 which was about double what the going price was so I told him I would give him his 450 back for it. So it sat in his bedroom closet for 30 years and then it went to me.

You will love the Model 24. I have been looking for one myself for a while and haven't seen any up here in Canada but hopefully someday I will own one.

Southern Son
07-22-2010, 04:02 AM
I would really love to see photos of this one.

gon2shoot
07-22-2010, 05:29 AM
You know those things won't shoot cast, dont ya? :razz:
Good find

GLL
07-22-2010, 10:18 AM
358wcf:

Where are those photos ? !! :) :) Great find !

Is your new revolver a Model 24 or Model 24-3 ?

I am sure everyone interested in .44 Special guns would love to see it !

Jerry