PDA

View Full Version : What is black bore condition?

k8bor
08-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I've been shooting lead out of my .444 marlin for a quite awhile now. Lately most of the shooting has been with the various 300 gr. lees and now the ranch dog bullet. It's been a mixed bag testing lubes, (lee alox and lyman orange mostly), I think with the Lee alox is beginning to impress me, even with the standard lube groove bullets (3 coats at Ranch Dog's recommendation). One note is tha I did a Beartooth lapping job on the bore last summer, and I also did it to my .35 remington marlin.
I have to say they both shoot lead extremely well. Without trying really hard, both of them group bullets under 2" at a hundred with just a tiny bit of load work with most of the lead bullets I've tried.
I have noticed that my .444 has attained a complete black coloration in the bore, and it makes me wonder should I clean it, but it shoots so well I hate to do anything. I've read somewhere there is a "black bore" condition a lead gun can get that's good. Anyone help me define this, and what it means?
tnx ahead of time.
Dave

LET-CA
08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Please don't accept my input as gospel, but I think you answered your own question. It's shooting well! Don't look that gift horse in the mouth.

I didn't know about the three coats of the Lee lubricant on the Ranch dog bullet. Thanks for sharing the tip. I just loaded up my first batch the other day and haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

David R
08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
"If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is."

Bass Ackward
08-25-2006, 07:03 AM
I've read somewhere there is a "black bore" condition a lead gun can get that's good. Anyone help me define this, and what it means?
tnx ahead of time.
Dave

Dave,

Decisions, decisions. Blackbore condition means a stable bore condition for lead. A point where accuracy stabilizes and becomes predictable. Some barrels need it, others don't. But you clean one that does and you have to live with it until it comes back.

Loads affect it as well. Some guys develop loads that shoot well say to 20 rounds and then start to drop off. Some guys get a load that improves and stabilizes. Change powder or load and it can take awhile for everything to stabilize again. This really sticks out with 22s.