PDA

View Full Version : Sharpshooter molds...ok now I know ....

diehard
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
....what all the complaining has been about.

First lets start by saying I really like my Sharpshooter buckshot molds. I've read on this forum a few times where folks have had a problem with a mold not filling out completely and wondered why, since that had not happened to me despite having made a whole lot of buckshot. Until today....that is.

Today I tried out my brand new #4 20-cavity mold, and I tried something very different. I tried casting with an alloy made from 8 pounds of wheel weights and a pound of 5% antimony birdshot. Up to this point I had never used wheel weights in my other ("00") Sharpshooter mold. I couldn't get the new mold to fill at all. When "going for the record" I kept count of five consecutive pours in which I averaged 8 filled out cavities. My highest for the day was 13 cavities, and after an hour and a half of casting, I got a yield of about a half a pound of good buckshot.

I hate losing. So I dumped out my pot, cranked up the burner and put a big lead pipe trap that had two big tin soldered joints on it into the pot. When the melt was ready I started with a cold mold and in my first 5 consecutive pours I got 18, 18, 20, 20, and 20 filled cavites. After that I never had a single cavity that did not fil out. In about one half hour I produced over four pounds of good buckshot from that single plumber's trap.

The moral of this long-winded story? I won't pretend I know much at all about casting, but I suspect that one's alloy-mix has everything to do with how well one's Sharpshooter mold will work. While the tin on the pipe joint probably was a contributing factor, I have had nothing but good luck with pure plumber's pipe as well. So the next time your Sharpshooter mold is giving you a hard time, maybe try some pure lead.

I hope this suggestion is helpful.

Did I mention I like my Sharpshooter molds?

Rusty Shackleford
07-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I have an 00 version, and have never used anything but what I believe is straight pb. Mine won't consistently fill the last 2 cavities (can't remember if it is hinge end or handle) till mold is so hot that leather gloves aren't much comfort.
When it gets up to temp it works like magic.

steg
07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Is there any where that they can be purchased other than Evil-Bay, trying to find one that drops .311 balls.................steg

diehard
07-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I too refuse to use e-bay. They gave me a "sucks to be you" reply when I explained that their anti-gun policy changes hurt my trading of old magazines and parts etc.

To get my latest mold I PM'd Skiesunlimited here on this site, and asked for a #4 buck mold. He told me he had a #4 in mold stock, and to bid on a '00' buck mold that was for sale on GunBroker, and when I won just email him to let him know I really wanted the #4 mold.
Something like that might work for you too, but I would pm him first. Great guy. Easy to work with, and shipped as fast as anyone I've done business with.

Gee_Wizz01
07-19-2010, 08:26 PM
+1 on Skiesunlimited. PM or email him and tell him what you are looking for. He can help you out. AS diehard said, he is easy to work with and has fast shipping. I just bought a 00 and 4 B molds from him. They work great.

G

steg
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys, PM sent........steg

steg
07-22-2010, 12:53 AM
He said he'd have one ready in about a week, thanks alot for the help guys, I didn't think I was ever going to find one............steg

TGinAZ
08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
I've had my Sharp Shooter #00 Buck mold for a couple of weeks now, and I've also got to say it's a tedious hobby we have, but it sure is FUN!!!

I also recommend contacting Skiesunlimited via a PM here rather than using eBay... he's great to work with and ships right away.

As mentioned by others, the only way the mold seems to fill properly is when it's HOT. It's too hot to work without gloves, and while the oak handles smell good when heated, they don't provide enough insulation to use this mold without gloves. (Yeah, I know, safety suggests using gloves for all casting, but I almost never use gloves with my bullet molds.)

I preheat my molds by setting them on top of my melting pot.... even then it might take a few throws to get this mold up to the right temperature.

Using wheelweights and a mix of straight lead, my 00 buckshot measures slightly less than the nominal 0.330" and weighs less than specs. 9 pellets average slightly over an ounce, and my loads have been working very well. The few I've patterned have been running 6" or less at 10 yards, and 12" or less at 20 yards with a Mossberg 500, 18.5" cylinder bore.

I'm very pleased with the mold, working with Skiesunlimited, and the results.

Shooter6br
08-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Mine works well I bought a "Blemished" one . I do need to run um hot.I bought a pair of welding gloves since the handles get hot. I have pure lead now so maybe run cooler than wheel weights

trapper9260
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
I have a OO sharpshooter mold and do ok with it and I had patten it with my 410 and at 20 yards , the shot went all over and then I roll them and then get a 7" patten and when I try it with 15yards I get a 5" spread. What I found out is that the sharp geges from the cutting of the spur off need to be rounded to get a better patten.

steg
08-15-2010, 04:23 PM
+1 with TGinAZ Rick would rather do business in a personal way rather that doing Evil-bay, or Gunbroker, plus their is a discount by dealing directly with him, plus he is one of the greatest businessmen I have ever done business with online, and he is offering a fine product, PMing him directly is the way to go..................................steg