PDA

View Full Version : Chain fire need help

Tightline
07-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Got a new 44 cal. Cap and ball pistol . Mabye shot it 100 rounds , but over about 6 months. Got a new round ball mould and on the 2nd full cylinder the 1st shot fired 2 balls came out 1 like it should and 1 out the left side . Why? Makes one as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rockers.

blaser.306
07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Cap your loaded chambers with boolit lube !

Maven
07-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Tightline, There are several reasons why this happened: (1) The new RB mold is undersized. Did you shave a ring of lead when you seated them (all 6)? If not, there's a chance of chain firing. (2) The caps don't fit the nipples tightly enough allowing sparks to ignite >1 chambr at a time. This is a major cause of chain firing. (3) A dollop of lube over each seated ball helps, but it's messy & time consuming, and has less to do with chain firing than a poor nipple-cap fit. The better way is to use prelubed .45cal. felt wads atop the powder (the RB goes on top of these and both are seated simultaneously. Hope this helps!

Muddy Creek Sam
07-18-2010, 02:13 PM
+1 To what Maven said. I use Wonder Wads with my 36 cal Colt Navys.

Sam :D

fryboy
07-18-2010, 02:55 PM
in a front ignited chain fire the ball/lead/grease or lack of didnt seal the chamber, when fired the muzzle blast, which is as normal - hi pressure and burning - finds some crack or crevice in another chamber and ignites it , shaving a ring of lead does/can help but in days of old they also greased the top , this also lubed ( and a messy way to do it IMO )the whole revolver not just the bore lolz i myself like wads but i also cast conicals for it and use lube in the grooves and lube on the top with no ill affects just use soft lead for these, the ball-ets come with wads and shoot pretty good from mine ( triple 7 is easier to clean than good black and almost as much fun) for fun quite a few lighter 45 cal pistol boolits if cast soft will work in these ;)

edit for add.... i always tried to carry a red rag or few when shooting these

Tightline
07-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys! I've been useing #11 caps and they have always been lose fitting, mabye i'll go to a #10 and try that along with wad and lube. Its not a good feeling haveing more than 1 come out at a time.

44man
07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
99% of chain fires are from the rear.