PDA

View Full Version : want info on browning a bolt ,replacing barrel

whitetailsniper
07-17-2010, 10:21 PM
hi i was told that the browning a bolt rifles ,can not replace the factory barrels due to the factory useing locktite on the threads, if someone tries to replace,or remove the factory barrel the locktite will pull out and strip the threads in the reciever. is this true? i was thinking of ordering a custom barrel (bull) with a longer barrel,and a differant twist rate for my 300 wsm a bolt. any help here?

dk17hmr
07-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I have taken apart AR15 uppers that were put together with locktite. Wasnt easy but once I got it heated up with a propane torch I was able to break the locktite and unthread everything. I have read that rebarreling an A-bolt is a pain and a guy would be money ahead if he bought different action for a custom rifle.

Allen Segrist in Prescott MI rebarreled a Remington 700 for me and turn it into one of my best long range shooters, my dad has used him also for different things. Might check with him about it and see what he says.

Bret4207
07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
It depends on the Loc-tite used. I can't imagine they'd use something that would require heat so hot it would damage the finish. I'd email/call Browning.

TomAM
07-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Bullberry in Utah has done barrel work on an A bolt for me. They swapped it out with no incident and no complaints. Browning does use Loctite, but it's no big deal.

Nobade
07-18-2010, 02:41 PM
The loctite is not the problem. Newer A bolts are not any big deal to rebarrel, but early ones are. The factory threaded the receiver threads short enough that the barrel threads bottom out on them and provide a "self locking" effect. If you try to remove the barrel from an early A bolt, the end thread of the barrel, which has been mashed when the barrel was installed, will take out all the receiver threads on its way out. I had to rethread two A bolt receivers because of this, which is why I will not work on them anymore. But if you can look into the ejection port and clearly see the threads in the receiver behind the barrel, it should be no problem to remove that barrel.