PDA

View Full Version : Hey ya know what! This is the best forum on the planet!

darthdave22
07-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I have no posts because all of my questions have been answered! A friend of mine pointed me here a while ago after infecting me with a lead casting disease and I gotta say that this is the finest source of information on the internet on this subject matter. And thats not to mention the great bunch of people that frequent here who are very helpful and truly a pleasure to talk to. THANKYOU!

Muddy Creek Sam
07-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the fire, We try to cover everything, even the silly stuff.

Sam :D

Trey45
07-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the addiction. You'll find more help here than you can shake a stick at, and more friendly folks than you think is possible. The swappin and sellin section, and the group buy section has added to many a persons addiction, tread carefully there!

Down South
07-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the asylum. The way that I figure it is that there is more casting knowledge here than any book or other forum on the net.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Well . . . ya!

Glad you got your first post in to break the frozen waters!

Welcome!

There is no such thing as one mold . . . for long . . .:-D

Echo
07-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Welcome, Mate. We are respectful, yet secure enough to inquire as to the aptness of using lanolin as zipper lube, in addition to boolit lube. be careful...

gray wolf
07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Holly Cow a neighbor

Hey friend I am in Oquossoc Maine--that's about 1/2 hour away from you.
I can't believe this, someone I may be able to shoot with and talk face to face with about all this stuff.
PM me and we can talk, perhaps have a coffee and cast a few huned together.

Sam

RobS
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome!!!! You are right this forum is a goody that's for sure. GW is a good person and one that is more than capable of making you a cast boolitaholic. :)

Reading the stickies is a great way to learn a vast amount of knowledge without the complication of searching.

Enjoy your future cast boolit endeavors!!!

Hip's Ax
07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Welcome!

Agreed. :D

bbailey7821
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Howdy from South Texas!

WallyM3
07-18-2010, 09:08 PM
It's an interesting coincidence that I was just tonight contemplating how much this group has enriched my life.

There is a wealth of casting and loading information herein, constant experimentation and the exchange of the results, but there is much more, and more important things are at work here.

This is the closest to a community, nay even a family, that I have ever encountered.

If one is accepted here as a real member, one can feel good.

darthdave22
07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the welcomes guys I think Im going to like it here. And about swapping and selling......... this is just ONE more place to get into trouble on [smilie=w:

WallyM3
07-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, there is that, too. [smilie=w:

nes4ever69
07-19-2010, 12:25 AM
yes alot of good information and very helpfull people here.

Buckshot
07-19-2010, 01:36 AM
..............In case you're not aware, we have an adjunct webpage (no forums) at: http://www.castpics.net/

There's a lot of good info there too! Glad to have you here.

................Buckshot

DLCTEX
07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Hey ya know what! This is the best forum on the planet!
No brag ma'am, just the facts, as Sargent Friday said.

lathesmith
07-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Well-said guys, I couldn't agree more. As more than one forum member has put it in the past--when we want to be insulted, belittled, and criticized, we visit the (religious) in-laws; when we want to share the fellowship, acceptance, and friendship that comes from enjoying common interests, we come here!(I used to say that with a smile on my face, but it's so close to the literal truth that I'm not smiling any more).
Anyway, it's a great place for a caster and shooter to hang out, for sure. Welcome!

lathesmith

a.squibload
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Darth, welcome! I still feel like a new guy, but couldn't lurk long at this site.
Somtimes the depth of info from these guys is amazing, someone usually knows not just "how", but "why". And where to get it too.

Anyway if they let ME post here you know it's a good group! I expected to need a fire extinguisher (for FLAMES) but it's not that way here, everyone wants to help you get your Pb degree.

shooterg
07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Great site - wish I hadn't spent 2 years just lurking, I might have me a "silver boolit" by now.
Sold a bunch of stuff here, but spent it all buying stuff here ! There is absolutely NOTHING one of the old timers here can't tell us about casting.

Freightman
07-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Holly Cow a neighbor

Hey friend I am in Oquossoc Maine--that's about 1/2 hour away from you.
I can't believe this, someone I may be able to shoot with and talk face to face with about all this stuff.
PM me and we can talk, perhaps have a coffee and cast a few huned together.

Sam
Welcome come is and sit awhile.
gray wolf, you are lucky when you say I am from ___ Texas they may be 12-15 hrs away, at least that has been my experience. It is 1/2 hour to the range.
I have been a member for almost four years - man where does the time go?

a.squibload
07-22-2010, 03:56 AM
...when you say I am from ___ Texas they may be 12-15 hrs away...

You ain't kiddin', I went from Houston area to visit a friend near Seminole many years ago, drove all night. I went 100+ mph for a couple hours with no turns and no other cars.

frankenfab
07-22-2010, 08:00 PM
darthdave22--I made a similar post to yours not long after joining. This is my favorite place to relax and forget about work and LEARN stuff!

It's a small island of sanity in a black sea of a world where people who share my priorities and ideals of what is true and good and right seem to be so much a minority these days.

Dannix
07-24-2010, 01:07 AM
One thing so epic about this forum is that you can ask geeky questions, and you know you'll get some knowledgeable responses, not the 'mall-ninja' responses you can get elsewhere (ask me how I know).

One word of warning -- don't check the Group Buy subforum until you've got the green for it. It. can. be. addictive....sorry, got to go see what's up in the in the GB subforum... :mrgreen:

casterofboolits
07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I absolutely agree! When I found this site I didn't dither and joined the first time I signed on.

I started casting in 1973 after reading the Lyman book about six times and suffered thru a lot of trial and error. I even ordered my initial Lee Molds and pot while in Japan and had them sent to my father's house and cast my first boolits in his garage.

I wish I could have found an "old fart" who knew what he was doing that could give me some sage advice and help me thru the learning curve. Ya might get a few curt answers or advice (kind of like a smack on the back of the head to get your attention:kidding:) but the advice here is sound.

I started IPSC in 1982 and ended up selling boolits to the other guys which led to an upward search for equipment to increase production and reduce the labor involved. From RCBS lubesizer to Star and then to a Magma Lubesizer with MA Systems collator. In fact I had the fourth MA collator made and actually told Magma about them.

Went from Lee and NEI molds to Hensley and Gibbs. I much prefer steel/cast iron molds to aluminum. Lees are nice to start with for your individual needs and to learn on, but not so much for large production.

Fred AKA "certified old fart"

azcruiser
07-25-2010, 05:51 AM
I'm hooked think we need to start meeting or something to kick the habit .Like give out pins and stuff that read i didn't log in in 10hr or i didn't log in in 24 hr can't see anyone making it 48 hr though/ or have forum meeting posted by state

a.squibload
07-25-2010, 01:53 PM
1st step is admitting you have a problem, congratulations!
Me, I can stop any time. Honest.
This site is not so dangerous but it leads to harder stuff, like casting, & shooting.

OK, I agree, the GB area is a little dangerous...