PDA

View Full Version : SA primers VS DA primers

donjose
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I am wondering why would a person choose a differant primer for single action vs double action pistols?
And also I was looking on Hogdon web site and for there 44 mag loads they dont list what primer to use mag or standard.I will be shooting hand loads for now out of a double action pistol but 90 percent of shooting will be single action shooting.
And also what is the best primer brand to use?

Jason

lylejb
07-17-2010, 09:58 PM
I am wondering why would a person choice a differant primer for single action vs double action pistols?

I don't think that's really it. Some people have had action / trigger jobs done on their pistols, that may include lighter / weaker springs. This can cause light firing pin strikes. In these guns, their owners will often use primers with softer metal cups to try to make up for the light hits.

Federal primers are said to be softer, CCI are said to be hard.

If your pistol has not been modified with light springs, then I wouldn't worry about it. Use what you can get.

I've fired thousands of CCI " so called hard" primers in S&W, Dan Wesson, and Colt pistols without a problem.

As far as Mag vs reg primers, It's more about what powder you are loading than what caliber you shoot.

In 44mag, I load mag primers with my win 296 / h110 loads because these powders are thought to be harder to ignite. Some also load mag primers in ammo thats used in very cold temperatures.

In 44mag I load regular primers for most everything else.

Whatever primer you choose, stick with it during load development. If you do change primer brands / types, your basically starting over ( not always a bad thing)

hope this helps

donjose
07-17-2010, 10:02 PM
I was wondering and that makes since to me.

Jason

Mal Paso
07-17-2010, 11:58 PM
A double action revolver will generally strike the primer Harder when fired Single Action because the hammer travels further, compresses the spring more. A year and a half ago I had 2 different batches of Winchester WLPs with a Fail to Fire rate of 5%
Double Action which dropped to 2% Single Action. This was with a new Ruger Redhawk and an S&W 629 with Factory Springs. I since have had Magtech that were Too Hard as well. If it will fire on a second strike the primer is too hard for the springs who ever is at fault. CCI and Federal ( both ATK Divisions ) are best of my current stock with Wolf number 2.
You're Right Hogden Doesn't Say but my Speer Manual has an asterisk beside every load requiring a Magnum Primer which are few. H110 is the only powder I use with magnum primers.

Mal

jsizemore
07-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Jason,

Since the website covers hodgdon, imr, and winchester, I'll assume (you know what that does) they used winchester primers. Winchester LP primers are 'for STANDARD or MAGNUM pistol loads'. The capital letters are what is printed on each sleeve and box of winchester primers I ever bought.

I wasn't there when all this was tested and printed, so I can't say for sure that the lab tested only winchester primers, just a possible explanation.

I work up loads even when I change lot numbers of the same component. Be careful. Good Luck