PDA

View Full Version : Ishapore 2A .308 Sights

school of mines
07-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Took the Ishapore out to the range and put some 185gr gas checked boolits to the test. The target was set at 50 yards and the rifle grouped right at an inch with the windage right on! Unfortunately, the elevation was almost 20" high with the rear sight at the lowest setting! Obviously I need a taller front sight. I was wondering if anyone had changed out the front sight on a Ishapore and had some tips to share? Or should I look for a different rear sight like a MOJO?

Thanks!

docone31
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I have had several Ishys. I love them.
Rather than change the front sight, I went with reciever sights. The Williams SMLE sight is great on the Ishy.
The rear of the reciever is also soft steel. Taps easily.

Multigunner
07-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Took the Ishapore out to the range and put some 185gr gas checked boolits to the test. The target was set at 50 yards and the rifle grouped right at an inch with the windage right on! Unfortunately, the elevation was almost 20" high with the rear sight at the lowest setting! Obviously I need a taller front sight. I was wondering if anyone had changed out the front sight on a Ishapore and had some tips to share? Or should I look for a different rear sight like a MOJO?

Thanks!

Check to be sure that the rear hand guard isn't making contact with the sight preventing it from coming all the way down.
I've found this situation with several SMLE rifles that had been restocked or the rear handguard replaced, and the rear handguard I got for my 1915 SMLE had to be trimmed quite a bit to allow the sight to come all the way down at lowest setting.
Also a loosely fitted RHG can result in the wood sliding forwards under recoil, causing the same interference.

A broken off piece of the front sight blade can result in the same problem.

I have had several Ishys. I love them.
Rather than change the front sight, I went with reciever sights. The Williams SMLE sight is great on the Ishy.
The rear of the reciever is also soft steel. Taps easily.

The Receiver (Action Body) steel is heat treated at the locking shoulders to be hardened and wear resistent, unlike the Mauser type receivers which are surface hardened over the entire surface.
I'm told the locking shoulders were heated using a copper electrode, My 1915 had smears of copper near these critical points of action body and bolt.

cheese1566
07-17-2010, 11:48 PM
The front sight posts come in different heights for aresenal zeroing. I ordered an assortment at a fairly decent price (and even better shipping) from Springfield Sporters. While you are at it, order some extra springs for the extractor and trigger. If you find an extra extactor for the 2A, buy it and tuck it away.

Parts for a SMLE #1Mk3 will interchange, with the exception of bolt face, extactors, magazines.

http://www.ssporters.com/parts/ENFIELD1.htm

Or you can do this to:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/oddshot9/index.asp

I will tinker with mine but will eventually move to docone31's recommnedation of a Williams sight. Hoping to find one here cheap someday...

school of mines
07-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas! I checked the clearance of the rear sight and hand guard and that was OK. I think I'll go with the front sights from Springfield Sporter. I have 4 Enfields, so I'm sure I can use the spare sights!